Leaving Usnet Groups, Bye

Old May 7th 05, 04:32 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Dave A." wrote in message
news:x7Wee.3098$w56.1294@trndny08...
I'd like to think not. Otherwise, I've been wasting my time advising
student pilots on Usenet for many years. But it's true that all
information from Usenet should be verified by competent authority. There
are people out here who know Dudley Henriques IS Dudley Henriques.

In fact, I don't know you as Dudley Henriques, I know you as the guy that
posts a lot of well thought out information. That means more to me than
Googling the name.

The problem with people like me ( not that I'm anything special) is that
I'm in print enough throughout the world that there are many in aviation who
recognize the name. Although It's true the average poster on Usenet wouldn't
know if the person posting with this name was actually me, there are enough
people out here both in my profession and on Usenet who actually know me
personally that it's not all that hard to put the post to the name.
It is a bit different for people on Usenet who use their real names than it
is for the pseudonym posters. Actually, as I have said many times, if I had
it to do over again, I would not have come to Usenet as Dudley Henriques.
DH

Old May 7th 05, 07:01 AM
Roger

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:38:46 -0500, "Highflyer" wrote:

Ignorance is something we all share to some extent. Fortunately ignorance
is easily corrected. All it requires is a bit of study and education.
Stupidity, on the other hand, goes to the bone and is by nature
incorrectible.

True, but nature has a way of weeding out some through "Natural
Selection". Unfortunately, although quite efficient in the long run
the law some times breaks down on short term problems.

For one a, person's sig says a lot about them. I think your's is apt
and am well aware as to why:-))

They couldn't get tot he Deb until next week, so I hope they have it
done in time.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Highflyer

Old May 7th 05, 07:05 AM
Roger

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:08:29 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Jimbob wrote:

70% of face-to-face communication is non-verbal.

Have you a citation for this? It's a topic in which I'm interested. I'm
also interested in what percentage is "verbal" but invisible in a written
medium (ie. tone, inflection, etc.).

I've seen something similar to that posted some where, some time...
which being the case, I feel great in just remembering that I may have
heard it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

- Andrew

Old May 7th 05, 01:47 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...
The problem with people like me ( not that I'm anything special) is that
I'm in print enough throughout the world that there are many in aviation
who recognize the name. Although It's true the average poster on Usenet
wouldn't know if the person posting with this name was actually me, there
are enough people out here both in my profession and on Usenet who
actually know me personally that it's not all that hard to put the post to
the name.

I can tel when it's you not by looking at the properties of the message, but
rather the content. You have a body of knowledge most of us lack. I don't
believe it can be faked.

It is a bit different for people on Usenet who use their real names than
it is for the pseudonym posters. Actually, as I have said many times, if I
had it to do over again, I would not have come to Usenet as Dudley
Henriques.

I long ago came to the same conclusion, hence the Mortimer Schnerd moniker.
Obviously, that's not my real name but I am accessible through it. I don't
keep my real name a secret with email... only in Usenet.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Old May 7th 05, 04:07 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...
The problem with people like me ( not that I'm anything special) is that
I'm in print enough throughout the world that there are many in aviation
who recognize the name. Although It's true the average poster on Usenet
wouldn't know if the person posting with this name was actually me, there
are enough people out here both in my profession and on Usenet who
actually know me personally that it's not all that hard to put the post
to the name.

I can tel when it's you not by looking at the properties of the message,
but rather the content. You have a body of knowledge most of us lack. I
don't believe it can be faked.

I believe the legitimate pilots on these groups, especially the ones who
have lived through a career or have spent their lives in aviation in one
form or another each have a unique experience to bring to the information
table. I as well believe these pilots for the most part recognize each other
through just the process you have described above; the quality of
information that's passed back and forth through posting. They know it's
fact because they have lived the fact...in one form or another.
These pilots have no problems at all with each other on Usenet.
After all is said and done with the rest of what one has to put up with from
the trolls and idiots on these groups, it's only the recognition and
acceptance of the people "in the know" for each other that keeps the groups
alive.

It is a bit different for people on Usenet who use their real names than
it is for the pseudonym posters. Actually, as I have said many times, if
I had it to do over again, I would not have come to Usenet as Dudley
Henriques.

I long ago came to the same conclusion, hence the Mortimer Schnerd
moniker. Obviously, that's not my real name but I am accessible through
it. I don't keep my real name a secret with email... only in Usenet.

I do exactly the same thing :-)

Dudley Henriques