Last Chance -- Free Beer in Iowa on Sunday!

Old July 25th 03, 04:53 PM
EDR

Default Last Chance -- Free Beer in Iowa on Sunday!

Our first annual "Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party" starts at 3 PM Sunday here
in Iowa City!

I am watching the weather for Sunday, enroute KOSU to KIOW. If that
route is blocked, I will have to go direct KOSH. It will all depend on
where the thunderstorms are and how intense they are, and if there are
any lines. My kids do not tolerate turbulence well and as this is their
first trip to OSH, it really needs to be fun I want them to come again.
Old July 25th 03, 05:47 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:14:19 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in Message-Id:
%WaUa.144094$Ph3.18630@sccrnsc04:

Come enjoy the beer,...

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but *publicly* providing
intoxicating liquor to pilots en route to KOSH seem less than prudent
to me.

How concerned are you about your civil liability for supplying
alcoholic beverages to en route airman? Do you demand to know who the
"designated pilot" is before serving? Is the location of the free
beer on the airport grounds? Isn't a state liquor license required to
publicly dispense intoxicating liquor legally?

I don't want to be a "wet blanket," but *publicly* providing liquor to
pilots seems foolish to me.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old July 25th 03, 06:13 PM
Jim Weir

Jesus, I think I knew this guy in college. He was the one shining the
flashlight into all the dark corners during the parties.

Jim

Larry Dighera

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 25th 03, 06:19 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:13:30 -0700, Jim Weir wrote
in Message-Id: :

He was the one shining the
flashlight into all the dark corners during the parties.

Were those parties publicly announced in a worldwide forum?

Old July 25th 03, 06:25 PM
Scott Skylane

Larry Dighera wrote:
/snip/

I don't want to be a "wet blanket," but

/snip/

Dighera, you're a wet blanket.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old July 25th 03, 06:32 PM
Jason Kennemer

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Isn't a state liquor license required to
publicly dispense intoxicating liquor legally?

Usually a liquor license is only required to sell alcohol - to give it away
free is ok. Many restaurants do this to promote an opening before obtaining
approval for their liquor license.

As far as Jay serving free beer, it's up to a responsible adult as to
whether or not to drink the beer, or to drink the beer and try to fly the
same day. However, in these modern times, people never like to take
responsibility for their own actions, and may feel like Jay is responsible
for serving beer to an idiot who'd be willing to go flying right after
downing a 12-pack.

I think Jay's intent is to have a fun afternoon party, and try to keep as
many "guests" as possible at his establishment. I'd be a willing hotel
guest, if I were on my way up to OSH. (Sorry Jay, can't make it up there
this year.)

Maybe next year,
Jason Kennemer

Old July 25th 03, 07:28 PM
Margy Natalie

wrote in Message-Id:
%WaUa.144094$Ph3.18630@sccrnsc04:

Come enjoy the beer,...

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but *publicly* providing
intoxicating liquor to pilots en route to KOSH seem less than prudent
to me.

Let's see, I've invited folks on this forum to a picnic at my house (as I
have in the past). There was alcohol there (hell, it was a party) and
some folks flew in. I have couch space if needed and stated it. Jay has
a damned HOTEL for you to stay in if you choose to drink. En route does
not mean have a beer and take-off.

How concerned are you about your civil liability for supplying
alcoholic beverages to en route airman? Do you demand to know who the
"designated pilot" is before serving? Is the location of the free
beer on the airport grounds? Isn't a state liquor license required to
publicly dispense intoxicating liquor legally?

Haven't you been reading the details? It's a party, at a hotel. A
private party at that, Jay has invited his FRIENDS from the net.

I don't want to be a "wet blanket," but *publicly* providing liquor to
pilots seems foolish to me.

Go stick yourself in the dryer.

Margy

Old July 25th 03, 08:30 PM
AES/newspost

Attendees can read up on the following:

(Once this thing is flying, the excess energy from the wind turbine can
be used to power Lifters that bring up more beer.)

WHAT'S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 25 Jul 03 Washington, DC

1. DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS: 9 YEARS AND 100 DEATHS LATER.

2. CLIMATE CHANGE: NOW HERE'S THE PLAN, WE STUDY THE PROBLEM.

3. VOTING MACHINES: "HANGING CHAD" WASN'T SO BAD.

4. PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM: THE NATION'S TOP CIVILIAN HONOR

5. INFINITE ENERGY: REVOLUTIONARY AIRCRAFT IS POWERED BY GRAVITY.

An ad in the Wall Street Journal last week sought investors for a
fuel-less aircraft. The idea is refreshing; unlike free-energy
scams that tap the zero-point energy, or shield gravity, Hunt
Aircraft Corp. proposes to do it the old-fashioned way, i.e.,
violate Conservation of Energy. Helium bags lift the winged
craft vertically, whereupon the helium is compressed to make the
craft heavier than air. It then glides downward. At low
altitude, the cycle is repeated. Aha!, you say, compressing the
gas takes work. These guys aren't that dumb. As it glides, a
wind-turbine will generate the power. The inventor has applied
for a patent, but our research uncovered the shocking similarity
to Tom Swift's "Black Hawk" airship described in Tom Swift and
His Electric Rifle (Grosset & Dunlap, New York, 1911).

THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND and THE AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY.
Opinions are the author's and are not necessarily shared by the
University or the American Physical Society -- but they should be.

Archives of What's New can be found at http://www.aps.org/WN
Old July 25th 03, 08:34 PM
Jack Allison

I don't want to be a "wet blanket," but

....then don't...oh rats, too late :-)
--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 25th 03, 08:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but *publicly* providing
intoxicating liquor to pilots en route to KOSH seem less than prudent
to me.

You're kidding, right?
--
Jay Honeck