Connection cable for an IFR GPS

Old November 21st 04, 02:07 AM
Doug

Default Connection cable for an IFR GPS

I have a King KLN90B and update it with update software from King and
a database from King. My old laptop broke (it fell off the table and
broke the power connection on the inside board, I still have it if
anyone knows how to fix it).
Anyway, I bought a new Toshiba P35 laptop. No RS232 port. No problem,
I thought. Just buy a USB to RS232 adaptor. But the Radio Shack
adapter I bought had software on floppy! Grrr!

Anyone know of a USB to RS232 adaptor that comes with CDROM software
or some other solution (PCMCIA port card?) for a laptop that doesn't
have an RS232 port or a floppy drive?
Old November 21st 04, 02:32 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Doug wrote:

I have a King KLN90B and update it with update software from King and
a database from King. My old laptop broke (it fell off the table and
broke the power connection on the inside board, I still have it if
anyone knows how to fix it).
Anyway, I bought a new Toshiba P35 laptop. No RS232 port. No problem,
I thought. Just buy a USB to RS232 adaptor. But the Radio Shack
adapter I bought had software on floppy! Grrr!

Anyone know of a USB to RS232 adaptor that comes with CDROM software
or some other solution (PCMCIA port card?) for a laptop that doesn't
have an RS232 port or a floppy drive?

The USB flashdrives could be used to move floppy info to a machine that
lacks one. Or simply burn the floppy info to CD...

USB floppies drives are available ($9 to $30).

Whats the make of your old computer?
Old November 21st 04, 03:09 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Doug wrote:
: I have a King KLN90B and update it with update software from King and
: a database from King. My old laptop broke (it fell off the table and
: broke the power connection on the inside board, I still have it if
: anyone knows how to fix it).
: Anyway, I bought a new Toshiba P35 laptop. No RS232 port. No problem,
: I thought. Just buy a USB to RS232 adaptor. But the Radio Shack
: adapter I bought had software on floppy! Grrr!

Can you download the software from their web site?

: Anyone know of a USB to RS232 adaptor that comes with CDROM software
: or some other solution (PCMCIA port card?) for a laptop that doesn't
: have an RS232 port or a floppy drive?

Yep. PCMCIA serial cards can be had from Socket Communications in 1, 2, or 4
port versions. I've been using them for years. About $80 for a 1-port version
as I recall.
--
Aaron Coolidge
Old November 21st 04, 02:44 PM
Anaconda

Doug,

Not sure which model USB to Serial adapter you have, but this following link has the driver for RS catalog part # 260-0183 USB to Serial Cable - V. 1.0 for Window 98, ME and 2000

RS USB to Serial driver (140kB): 260-0183.EXE

Taken from RS driver support page: http://support.radioshack.com/soft.htm

About that laptop... I might be interested. Details?

disposable at rogers period com
Old November 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Doug

Hey thanks, that might do the trick. The old laptop is an HP Pavilion
NS425. It's about 3 years old. Worked fine before the power plug
broke. It was diagnosed as a bad power plug (PC side) by CompUSA tech,
and I concur that most likely this is the problem. (For a while you
could get it to work by holding the plug in tight by hand). It has
Windows XP on it and always seemed to run pretty fast.

If I knew how to take it apart I might be able to fix it. I do know
how to solder.

Old November 22nd 04, 12:48 AM
Anaconda

May be worthwhile to pay someone who can open it up for you and do the
repair.

Another thought ... did you check to see if it was the external supply plug
that had broken its cable strands (not the plug receptacle on the laptop)?
Less likely, but if that is the problem, then the fix is much easier. Just
get a voltmeter and see if the power (18V I imagine) is consistently there.
You may have to rig up a way to keep the leads attached to the plug.

Old November 28th 04, 04:19 PM
Omega

om...
:
: Anyone know of a USB to RS232 adaptor that comes with CDROM software
: or some other solution (PCMCIA port card?) for a laptop that doesn't
: have an RS232 port or a floppy drive?

1) the power connector can be soldered back on to the board. Or you can get
another connector (jack) from a very good electronics store (larger cities
have one or two that supply industry).

2) Belkin makes all sorts of adapters. They have a good USB to serial. I
think that Best Buy carries them (http://www.belkin.com)

3) PCMCIA serial cards can be had from Socket Communications in 1, 2, or 4
port versions. Starting at $80 for a single port.

Old November 29th 04, 02:56 AM
Doug

Just a heads up on what happened to resolve this. I obtained a Radio
Shack USB to RS232 cable, installed the software from the radio shack
website and got it to work (after quite a bit of frustration). When I
went to update my Garmin 195 handheld it couldn't find it, turned out
to be the connection to the power plug. I had to take the cradle off
the power plug and screw it directly into the unit, then it updated
OK. I also updated my King KLN90B. So I am all up to date.

My KLN90B has a problem with some of the knobs, they don't quite do
what they are supposed to each time. I suppose it will have to go back
to King for a rebuild. Anyone know how to do THAT (call King and get
an RMA number I guess).

Thanks for all your help and especially they guy who suggested the
Radio Shack website.