Oudie to C302 cable

Old August 20th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oudie to C302 cable

Does the cable sold separately, to link communication between C302 and Oudie, have any additional functions beyond the cable included with the Oudie package?
Other than supplying 5VDC power directly from the C302.
Thanks,
GK
Old August 20th 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Not sure what you are asking specifically.

The cable does several things.

1. Provides 5 volts to the Oudie.
2. Has 5 volts on the extra pin to tell the Oudie to use serial communications rather than USB.
3 Has rx and tx lines.

It is NOT a standard USB mini connector, it has five wires rather than the standard four in a USB protocol.
Old August 20th 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Sorry, forgot to say that I don't think that there is any difference other than the one made for the 302 is just a cleaner cable connection. The one that comes with the Oudie will do the same once you wire it up.
Old August 20th 13, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:18:05 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
Sorry, forgot to say that I don't think that there is any difference other than the one made for the 302 is just a cleaner cable connection. The one that comes with the Oudie will do the same once you wire it up.

- That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
Old August 20th 13, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:34:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does the cable sold separately, to link communication between C302 and Oudie, have any additional functions beyond the cable included with the Oudie package? Other than supplying 5VDC power directly from the C302. Thanks, GK

The cables and gender changers supplied with the Oudie have to be used with the Oudie Power converter and the powerconverter has to be powered with 12v.

The Oudie Powerconverter has a 12v to 5v converter and ttl level converter to send the correct level signals from the 302 to the Oudie.

The CAI 302 - Oudie direct cable takes the 5v from the 302 and there is a board in the DB9 hood that converts the 232 5v signals to the ttl 3v required by the Oudie.

If you make the cable from the components in the Oudie make sure the pins are correct and the other wires in the gender changer are insulated from each other.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old August 20th 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

I have done exactly the same, from Oudie to Cambridge 303 but
got the lead from Dickie Feakes at Bicester Aviation in the UK.

I was told that it is not a straight wiring job. For the price although
a little expensive it was easier to buy a lead rather than DIY
messing around and risk blowing thing up. I cannot say what is
special in the wiring, but it works OK.

Dave.

Old August 21st 13, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:34:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Does the cable sold separately, to link communication between C302 and Oudie, have any additional functions beyond the cable included with the Oudie package?

Other than supplying 5VDC power directly from the C302.

Thanks,

GK

A few things to consider -

1) If you use the 302 to Oudie direct cable, and, for any reason, your 302 loses power or needs to be turned off in flight, the Oudie will be forced to run on battery power. (About 2 hours with a full charge.) With direct power from your glider battery source, that is not an issue.

2) The Oudie must be fully charged before being connected to the 302 direct cable. The 302 does not like charging the Oudie's battery.

3)I have been struggling with routing the 302 - Oudie direct cable and not having it get bound up in the glare shield when you close the canopy. (My glare shield goes up and down with the canopy.) This isn't an issue when you are sitting in the glider - you can route the cable as you lower the canopy. It is an issue when you are outside of the glider and close the canopy. (I'm not sure if the direct power cable is any better for this issue as you still need to have the 302 - Oudie connection for data transfer.)

I am currently using the direct 302 - Oudie cable but might revert to the supplied cable due to the power issue.

Paul Remde has pretty clear instructions on how to wire the connector on his website.

Old August 21st 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Irvin Hunt

To share the benefits of a frustrating 5 months getting 302's, TRX's and
Oudie's to talk.....
You may well find that set up like this the 302 doesn't have enough umph to
drive the (new) Oudie with the brighter screen and you will get annoying
and seemingly random signal dropouts. You really need to get a separate
power supply in to that line - which I would think is a job for a pro.

At 23:44 20 August 2013, MNLou wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:34:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Does the cable sold separately, to link communication between C302 and

Ou=
die, have any additional functions beyond the cable included with the
Oudie=
package?=20
=20
Other than supplying 5VDC power directly from the C302.=20
=20
Thanks,
=20
GK

A few things to consider -=20

=
[...]

upplied cable due to the power issue. =20

Paul Remde has pretty clear instructions on how to wire the connector on
hi=
s website.=20

Old August 21st 13, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You really need to get a separate

power supply in to that line - which I would think is a job for a pro.

- The original cable comes with a separate voltage supply and separate dc voltage converter. It Is probably trough a simple heat sink voltage regulator... But saves the frustrations of not supplying enough power.
For some reason I though that the all in one cable adds 2 way communication between the two, but it seems to be standard function.

Aerial on my C302 not Working pat Soaring 1 June 28th 13 12:29 AM
Aerial for C302 Wanted pat Soaring 4 June 26th 13 07:53 PM
Oudie Cable Peter von Tresckow Soaring 7 June 15th 12 04:59 PM
Oudie for sale, Goddard PS5a-1 cable for sale Sean Fidler Soaring 3 April 3rd 12 02:51 PM
C302 with LK8000 Brad[_2_] Soaring 5 July 4th 11 02:52 AM