Luscombe 8E

Old February 3rd 04, 04:40 PM
Brendan Grace

Default Luscombe 8E

I'm looking into buying an 8 E and wonder if anyone who owns/rents one has
any insights they could share. Things good or bad. How hard is it to stay
current with such a short coupled tail dragger? Instruments that can be
added to bring it to IFR? Thanks.

Brendan

Old February 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

Brendan,

You need to ask these questions at:

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

Old February 4th 04, 12:19 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

"Brendan Grace" wrote in message
Thanks !

Your welcome. The Luscombe is a great airplane! I sold a C-172 to buy mine
and have never regretted it. It's much more fun to fly. I have a new C-85-12
in mine with the O-200 STC. Lester (my baby) climbs at 1000 fpm, cruises at
110 mph and stalls at 48 mph. He holds 27.5 gallons of fuel and burns 5.0
gph in cruise and about 5.5 gph around the pattern.

Contrary to reputation, any competent pilot can handle this airplane. It
will handle the same crosswind component as my old C-172 did. I know, I've
done it. In fact, I think it handles wind better. For me the controls, are
lighter and more responsive. You will have to learn to think with your feet.
I get amused when I read the posts on this newsgroup about calculating
speeds and such on final. You will not have time to calculate squat with
this bird. If you think, it's too late. Fly the airplane with your butt,
remember that "straight is the way" and keep those feet working, especially
as the landing roll slows. Do that, and all will be well with thee.

There are IFR 8Es out there. I don't believe they are a true IMC platform,
however folks do fly light IFR in them. Make sure the model you are
considering has a generator large enough to carry the loads at lower rmps.
There are some alternator conversions out there, but they are few and far
between since there is no STC at present.

There is a glorious 8E for sell at RYY (McCollum Field, Kennesaw, Ga.) that
may have all that you desire if the one you're considering doesn't work out.
As to insurance, I've never had a problem, but my husband has owned his 8A
for 30 years. Adding me to his insurance was not a big deal, and by the time
I bought my own, I had nearly 100 hours in type. The best rates for these
airplanes is through membership with EAA's Vintage section. They offer deals
through AUA for our airplanes. Our rates are very reasonable, but again I
have over 1000 hours now. As my time grew in the airplane, my rates have
dropped.

Good luck and have fun,
Deb

Old February 4th 04, 04:18 PM
Brendan Grace

Excellent info, I'm getting a 'server error try again later' from the link
so
this really helps. I only want a limited IFR ability, more just in case and
for longer cross country trips. As this is my retirement buy I don't mind
putting the money in, I don't expect to be getting rid of it and not getting
my money back is not a concern. Thanks again for your help!

Old February 4th 04, 05:48 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

Brendan,

For more info on Luscombes of all kinds, try http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/
Note the section to the left about the Pre-purchase Checklist. This is
invaluable info.

Please note that no two Luscombes are alike. They came from the factory with
various engines, props, fuel systems, etc...and have been modified since.
So if you find a particular airplane and want to know about it's
characteristics, the List group is the best place to get that info

To get to the yahoo group, try going to www.yahoo.com. Click on Groups
(toward the top of the page) and search Luscombe. Click on the
luscombe-silvaire group. You will have to join, but the information and
goofiness is worth it. Again, if you don't like the individual emails, you
can read them from the website. Or do as I do. Send them to a separate mail
folder where I can read them at my leisure like a fine novel. Be advised;
this group is addictive.

Let us know where you are located and don't be skeered if a horde of
Luscombe pilots descend on you. Don't worry, we always bring our own food
;-).

Deb

Old February 5th 04, 11:34 AM
Brendan Grace

An excellent site, thanks very much. Lots to read before heading west to
check
out the aircraft. If ever you do get the urge for a long cross country I'm
in
Nova Scotia! My mechanic is already going over it and so far it looks and
sounds pretty good. Basic, but in excellent condition. Only a few ADs to
verify. Cheers!

Brendan

link.net...