Unknown landing strip

Old May 17th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mongoose

Default Unknown landing strip

A buddy of mine has a landing strip on his farm and he's trying to
find out what it's previous identifier was. Apparently his wife's
grandfather was an enthusiast and had it registered many many years
ago. I haven't been able to find anything in the CAP.

Any suggestions on where I could find this information?

Thanks.

Old May 17th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mongoose" wrote in message
oups.com...

A buddy of mine has a landing strip on his farm and he's trying to
find out what it's previous identifier was. Apparently his wife's
grandfather was an enthusiast and had it registered many many years
ago. I haven't been able to find anything in the CAP.

Any suggestions on where I could find this information?

This is a good place to start. What's the location?

Many strips like this had no identifiers.

Old May 17th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 17 May 2007 08:48:04 -0700, Mongoose wrote in
.com:

A buddy of mine has a landing strip on his farm and he's trying to
find out what it's previous identifier was. Apparently his wife's
grandfather was an enthusiast and had it registered many many years
ago. I haven't been able to find anything in the CAP.

Any suggestions on where I could find this information?

With the exception of an old chart of the area in question, this is
the most likely place to find what you seek:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/
Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

© 2002, © 2007 by Paul Freeman. Revised 5/16/07.

On the following pages, you will find information on vanished or
abandoned airfields & their unusual histories.

Old May 17th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Contact your state aviation agency.
Depending upon how your state records landing fields, it may only have a
state identifier.
Nowadays, the information is passed on to the local Airport District
Office/ADO and then forwarded onto an agency within the FAA in Washington.
IIRC, the airport information is filed on Form 5810.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...sources/forms/

Old May 17th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Mongoose wrote:
A buddy of mine has a landing strip on his farm and he's trying to
find out what it's previous identifier was.

I'd echo the recommendations in this post, but add that the field may not
have had an identifier at all. There is no FAA requirement that private
strips be registered or charted.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)