Overhaul 14 year old prop?

Old September 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Overhaul 14 year old prop?

Our constant speed prop is getting long in the tooth. It was last
overhauled in 1991, when it received new blades.

My A&P says there is no reason to O/H or replace a prop so long as it meets
specs and doesn't leak. Since we fly a couple of times per week, internal
corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

Is there a "time in service" limitation on C/S props?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 22nd 05, 05:40 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Our constant speed prop is getting long in the tooth. It was last
overhauled in 1991, when it received new blades.

My A&P says there is no reason to O/H or replace a prop so long as it

meets
specs and doesn't leak. Since we fly a couple of times per week, internal
corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

Is there a "time in service" limitation on C/S props?

Depends on the manufacturer and their specs.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 22nd 05, 06:10 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Is there a "time in service" limitation on C/S props?

The Pathfinder originally came with a Hartzell prop. Hartzell specifies a 5 year
TBO for CS props on piston aircraft in your application. It also has either a
2000 hour or 2400 hour TBO, depending on the year of manufacture. The specs also
state that hangaring the aircraft doesn't improve matters enough to justify
increasing the calendar TBO.

The full specs are here -
http://www.hartzellprop.com/product_...ex_support.htm

George Patterson
Old September 22nd 05, 08:06 PM
karl gruber

Don't ever watch your prop blades get overhauled. They take a big
grinder and grind the blades completely by eye. Huge amounts of
material is removed, and the more the better for the overhauler because
they can sell more blades when the thickness becomes a minimum.

Because you are not Pt.135, there is no mandatory overhaul period. But
what I recommend and do myself is to take the prop off and have it
inspected. Tell them that you want a minimum amount of light SANDING
done on the blades and have the hub inspected, repacked, resealed, and
new paint on the blades. This will cost just a fraction of an
"overhaul" and will do basically the same thing. It will also lengthen
the life of the blades. If it's 12 years since overhaul it would be a
good idea to do this now for your safety and peace of mind. Prop
failures are not pretty.
Karl
"curator" N185KG

Old September 23rd 05, 06:44 PM
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

Is there a "time in service" limitation on C/S props?

Not anything that is binding on Part 91 operators. Hartzell
recommends 5 years (which essentially puts a 15 year life on
your blades go figure).

Of course if you have an older (X or V series) hartzell prop,
you've got more stringent inspection issues.
Old September 23rd 05, 09:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Is there a "time in service" limitation on C/S props?

Not anything that is binding on Part 91 operators. Hartzell
recommends 5 years (which essentially puts a 15 year life on
your blades go figure).

I don't understand what you mean there, Ron. Please expand on that?

Thanks,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 24th 05, 03:20 AM
karl gruber

That's what I said. The guerrilla with the grinder takes off so much
material that it can only be "overhauled" three times. Even with
perfect rock chip free blades.

The other problem is the grinding is done without templates, completely
by guerrilla eye. The blades NEVER come out as good as new.

Old September 24th 05, 03:30 AM
George Patterson

karl gruber wrote:
That's what I said. The guerrilla with the grinder takes off so much
material that it can only be "overhauled" three times.

Twice. Overhaul at 5 years, again at 10 years, and at 15, they're too small to redo.

George Patterson

Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year? Bob Chilcoat Piloting 10 June 19th 05 03:32 PM
my ignorance LCT Paintball Home Built 25 April 9th 05 06:54 PM
Instrument overhaul - Are all overhauls created equal? RonLee Home Built 1 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM