Not Trivia, Just Curious

Old January 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Mike Jendrzey

Default Not Trivia, Just Curious

Recent TRIVIA postings resurrected two old questions rattling around
in the back of my mind.

1) Years ago, before I got into soaring, I saw or read a story on
actor Christopher Reeves showing him standing next to "his" glider --
just one of his many hobbies. Shortly after his most unfortunate
accident I noticed a LS-4 for sale by someone named Reeves (family
member?). Was that his glider? Isn't he something like 6'4/5" tall?
Didn't know the LS-4 had that much leg room.

2) Anyone know if actor/pilot John Travolta has ever tried soaring? A
high-profile guy like that could give the sport some visibility.

B7
Old January 15th 04, 03:28 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mike Jendrzey" wrote in message
. ..
Recent TRIVIA postings resurrected two old questions rattling around
in the back of my mind.

1) Years ago, before I got into soaring, I saw or read a story on
actor Christopher Reeves showing him standing next to "his" glider --
just one of his many hobbies. Shortly after his most unfortunate
accident I noticed a LS-4 for sale by someone named Reeves (family
member?). Was that his glider? Isn't he something like 6'4/5" tall?
Didn't know the LS-4 had that much leg room.

2) Anyone know if actor/pilot John Travolta has ever tried soaring? A
high-profile guy like that could give the sport some visibility.

B7

There was a spot on Christopher Reeves on one of the evening feature
programs maybe 15-20 years ago with him flying an ASW-20.

Frank Whiteley

Old January 15th 04, 04:25 PM
John Galloway

I have a recollection that Christopher Reeve flew an
ASW 19 at Lasham when he lived in England some time
after the first Superman film. I think I also saw
his name on a Regionals score sheet.

John Galloway

At 16:00 15 January 2004, Todd Pattist wrote:
(Mike Jendrzey) wrote:

1) Years ago, before I got into soaring, I saw or read
a story on
actor Christopher Reeves showing him standing next
to 'his' glider --
just one of his many hobbies.

I was told he flew at Wurtsboro, NY for a while.

Shortly after his most unfortunate
accident I noticed a LS-4 for sale by someone named
Reeves (family
member?). Was that his glider?

No info.
Todd Pattist - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old January 15th 04, 09:49 PM
Tim Hanke

There was a spot on Christopher Reeves on one of the evening feature
programs maybe 15-20 years ago with him flying an ASW-20.

Frank Whiteley

Ed Crawley owns the ASW-20 that Superman owned and flys it out of
Sugarbush, Vermont. Reeves insurance company made him give up soaring
beacuse it was "too dangerous" So, he took up horseback riding (where
the animal is in control)?
Old January 16th 04, 12:04 AM
DGRTEK

2) Anyone know if actor/pilot John Travolta has ever tried soaring?

The heck with Travolta, how bout Paris Hilton? She didn't follow her Dad.
It's a shame she doesn't fly, talk about ...exposure!

Douglas

Old January 16th 04, 08:55 AM
Chris Rollings

Chris owned an ASW 19 based at Booker UK(not Lasham)
and an ASW 20 in the USA. He started gliding at Booker
in about 1977 (around the time of the making of the
first Superman Movie), at that time he was an experienced
power pilot, but with little or no previous gliding
experience.

I think the first contact came because there was an
idea put forward by someone to film the 'Superman Flying'
sequences by cutting the front seat off of a two seat
glider and replacing it with a plank on which 'Superman'
would lie and be filmed from behind. We were going
to sell them a Ka13 for this purpose, and I was to
fly it. Somewhat to my surprise, i was told that the
Star (Chris Reeve) proposed to lie on the plank himself,
not use a stunt double.

It all came to nothing because, even 25 years before
the 9/11 attacks, the FAA were not prepared to allow
us to fly that unlikely aircraft amongst New York's
Skyscapers (which was where they wanted to film).

By the time he actually started flying with us, the
idea had been dropped, but I think it was what gave
him the idea of going gliding whilst he was in the
UK. As the instructor who did most of Chris's glider
conversion, I got to know him fairly well, and I have
to record that his private persona was every bit the
courteous and modest gentleman that he presented to
the public.

I'm pretty sure he never owned an LS4, which was the
question that started this reminisence.

Old January 16th 04, 03:04 PM
Mike Jendrzey

Thanks gentlemen. All very interesting!

B7

Trivia ? again: 1st non-VF/VA CAGs Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 1 May 10th 05 07:07 PM
Just curious Ramapriya Piloting 13 January 9th 05 10:34 AM
Trivia ?: 1st NFO CAG Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 0 July 22nd 04 07:05 PM
'Escape from New York' trivia questions Stewart Kissel Soaring 12 January 19th 04 05:37 AM
Help me write 25 Aviation Trivia Questions! Jay Honeck Piloting 92 January 17th 04 06:43 PM