WTB copy of The Sunship Game

Old August 2nd 05, 07:43 PM
scooter

Default WTB copy of The Sunship Game

I contacted Direct Cinema today and they no longer sell The Sunship
Game. Does any one have a copy for sale?

Scott

Old August 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
Wangsholm

If the price is right, it might be of intrest to more people.

Arne

"scooter" skrev i melding
oups.com...

Old August 3rd 05, 03:16 PM
Gary Boggs

I've got a copy but it's a little different than the first version I saw.
In the first version I saw years ago, after our flustered 1-26 pilot made
his very bad landing, he goes into the office and he climbs into his "bed",
which is the front half of an old 2-32 fuselage made into a hanging bed.
Does anybody have a version with this in it, or even remember that scene?

Gary Boggs

Old August 3rd 05, 04:00 PM
Andy

Yes I remeber that scene but I think it's a different film. Something
about the pilot chasing his alter ego and that is depicted by 2
sailplanes in a hot downhill chase. I remember a lot or airbrake
action on the second ship. No doubt someone will remember what the
film was.

Andy

Old August 3rd 05, 04:59 PM

"Dawn Flight" is the 1-26 film - a new edited version does not have the
pilot-character sleeping in the 2-32 fuselage. All the dramatic
flying sequences are intact.

"Sunship Game" was filmed at the 1969 Nationals at Marfa, Texas. Only
one US National Contest back then (no classes), so over 80 sailplanes
participated.

Burt - Collector of classic soaring films.
432-729-4292
Marfa, west Texas USA

Old August 3rd 05, 11:33 PM
Tony Verhulst

I understand that the problem Direct Cinema has with releasing the video
is that there are copyright problems with the Bee Gee's music on the
film. I recently had a discussion with a professional film producer with
connections to Direct Cinema. He's trying (with little success) to
encourage them to replace the "offending" music and to re-release the
video on DVD. Newer technology should enable them to clean up the poor
video quality on the original VHS production.

Start writing those letters

Direct Cinema Ltd., Inc.
P.O. Box 10003
Santa Monica, CA 90410-1003

Tony V.
Old August 4th 05, 02:00 AM
Guy Byars

I understand that the problem Direct Cinema has with releasing the video
is that there are copyright problems with the Bee Gee's music on the
film.

Certainly won't be hard to find better music then...

For you soaring history buffs, "The Sunship Game" was not the original title
for the film. A pre-release version was shown at he 1970 Soaring Symposia
with the working title of "Xray-Xray and Charlie India", where where the
contest numbers of Moffat and Derujinsky. But that was just a bit to
cryptic for the masses, so it was changed to Sunship Game. I believe the
premier showing of the film was the 1970 Nationals in Bryan OH.