Did VHF transceiver need TSO certificate?

Old March 30th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_6_]

Default Did VHF transceiver need TSO certificate?

Oops, it won't be flying except if it's an ultralight (unregulated, of
course...but you won't be flying an IFR ultralight...)

Scott

Scott wrote:
you might call your local FSDO and ask
them. That should eliminate a lot of the guesswork. If they won't
approve it, it won't be flying...

Scott

Old March 31st 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
I was really talking more about the installation rules for an IFR GPS. And
while there may be FCC rules about me building my transmitter I don't think
they would apply to me building a NAV receiver.

Yes they do. Any superheterodyne receiver requires Part 15 acceptance.
Unless you want to build a crystal set without a local oscillator. Look at
the bottom of your crackerbox AM radio at home. {;-)

I could be wrong but that
isn't the point. The FAA have created a set of rules for use of a GPS
receiver that are much more strict than those for a NAV radio that the
installation and use of is at least just as complex.

They did exactly the same thing for contact lenses back in the mid '60s when
they started to become popular. I spent a full DAY in the opthomologist's
(sp?) office doing all the required tests. Now it is a simple "do you wear
contacts" box on the medical exam form.

Oklahoma City = Paranoid City

Jim

Old March 31st 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

The LAST thing you want to do is get your local FSDO involved. Asking them
for advice is like asking a lawyer if you need advice. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE
you do. Leave your money; leave your daughters; now go home.

Jim

"Scott" wrote in message
I understand what you're saying! I am not IFR rated and won't even get
into the IFR rules for TSO etc. since I don't know. I guess if you have
the desire to know for sure, you might call your local FSDO and ask them.

Old March 31st 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

OK, that may be so, but (and I'm asking sincerely) doesn't the FSDO (or
I suppose DAR) have to inspect before an airworthiness certificate is
issued? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to ask them first what is
required or maybe it is best to just put it in and hope they don't
question it?

Scott

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/

FS: Val Com 760 TSO Transceiver aieo Aviation Marketplace 8 January 25th 07 04:38 PM
FA: 760ch transceiver EOC Aviation Marketplace 0 July 27th 05 08:23 PM
CFI's who use a transceiver or handheld GPS? BoDEAN Piloting 10 April 9th 04 03:03 AM
Transceiver BoDEAN Products 0 April 7th 04 06:08 AM
WANTED: KX-99 Transceiver Scott Soaring 0 January 8th 04 07:04 AM