SR-71's sucessor

Old December 18th 03, 10:05 AM
Wayne Allen

Since the Americans were still flying the SR-71 on missions into the
early
90's I'd have to day you are wrong.

"R420" wrote in message
om...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

The SR-71 was made in the 60s. probably by the late 70s or early
80s, a sucessor to SR-71 was flying.

and by now, the sucessor to the SR-71's sucessor has, at least been
tested, if not put into service.

Old December 18th 03, 05:51 PM
tim gueguen

"R420" wrote in message
om...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

I don't. I've yet to be convinced a direct SR71 replacement was fielded.

tim gueguen 101867

Old December 18th 03, 11:01 PM
Ragnar

"R420" wrote in message
om...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

The SR-71 was made in the 60s. probably by the late 70s or early
80s, a sucessor to SR-71 was flying.

and by now, the sucessor to the SR-71's sucessor has, at least been
tested, if not put into service.

OK, so now tell us what the successors were. You DO know that, right?

Old December 19th 03, 01:07 AM
Gene Storey

The SR-71 was replaced by several drones. One of the problems
with the SR-71, was the Intel was basically redundant to what was
collected by satellites. It had no tactical intel value due to its speed.

Operating out of the former Soviet republics, we have been flying
drones almost every day, producing real-time data, and electronic
order of battle tables, that used to take weeks with the RC-135.

Speed isn't everything, and it isn't the only thing. Most battle
managers would love to just park a vehicle over a country and
have it update in real-time, rather than the one pass a day, the
old SR-71 provided. There's drones today that have unrefueled
orbit times of 24 hours, and they have kilowatt power sources that
are able to produce significant data collection.

The unsophisticated days of Vietnam, with its morning recce,
followed by an air strike, is over. Even the most basic forces have
much more sophisticated defenses, and it takes hours of
observation to produce an ATO.

Old December 19th 03, 03:06 AM
Leadfoot

"tim gueguen" wrote in message

"R420" wrote in message
om...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

I don't. I've yet to be convinced a direct SR71 replacement was fielded.

There was probably a replacement that just didn't quite work out and was
dumped.

tim gueguen 101867

Old December 19th 03, 04:19 PM
Ashton Archer III

"Ragnar" wrote in message ...
"R420" wrote in message
om...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

The SR-71 was made in the 60s. probably by the late 70s or early
80s, a sucessor to SR-71 was flying.

and by now, the sucessor to the SR-71's sucessor has, at least been
tested, if not put into service.

OK, so now tell us what the successors were. You DO know that, right?

I find this topic fascinating; however, I don't believe that we have
yet fielded a second generation replacement for the old SR-71 bird.

My personal belief is that a number of technology demonstrators were
probably tested from the late 1970s forward and that all the Aurora
hype is probably unjustified as that program(s) was/were most likely
cancelled in transition from manned recon to unmanned systems like
high-res spy satellites and loitering UAVs.

However, maybe in the 1990s someone decided to play it safe with a
manned aircraft as well (keeping humans in the loop). The NRO must
have some form of aircraft operating under its agency and for argument
sake let's just say that it is probably the often talked about
GENERAL-DYNAMICS F-121 Sentinel, a.k.a "Centennial" now speculated as
LOCKHEED-MARTIN SR-100.

There are so many post SR-71 designations: SR-75, 84, 86, 89, and 100.
Who can tell which, if any, are true?

The multiple agencies involved should someday soon divulge this
information so we all can move on.

Ashton Archer III
Old December 19th 03, 09:31 PM
Alan Minyard

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:51:32 GMT, "tim gueguen" wrote:

"R420" wrote in message
. com...
I for one think that the SR-71 has not only been replaced, but its
replacement has been replaced. in other words, there have probably
been two generations of ultra-fast spy planes beyond the SR-71.

I don't. I've yet to be convinced a direct SR71 replacement was fielded.

tim gueguen 101867

Well, if you count satellites..... :-))

Al Minyard
Old December 20th 03, 01:48 AM
Leslie Swartz

Satellites, Drones (air/ground/sea), U-2, "Other" manned platforms . . .

All Very Healthy and Very Funded.

Steve Swartz

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:51:32 GMT, "tim gueguen" wrote:

. com...