So maybe we're not Spaniards

Old March 21st 04, 11:58 PM
Jay Honeck

You gotta read some H. P. Lovecraft, Jay.

I'm trying to find more time to read, period. It's one of my New Year's
resolutions, along with exercising daily.

I finally finished Gene Siebel's excellent "Confessions of a Pilot" -- a
book I purchased over a year ago -- just a couple of days ago. Now I'm
starting Bud Anderson's memoir, "To Fly and Fight."

With Dr. Jim's donation of over 150 books, I'll be in reading material for
quite some time to come...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 22nd 04, 12:09 AM
Jim Fisher

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

To say that all of mankind is but a mote in the Eye of the Old Ones is quite
a stretch. Not to mention depressing as hell.

We have bootstrapped ourselves from the primordial ooze to become the most
intelligent species this side of the Oort. We have accomplished so very
much in the last few seconds of this geologic day. We have so very much
more to do if only we can survive our own stupidity.

Why, we have overcome our natural predilection to be a ground-borne
hunter-gatherers and have conquered a infinitely small amount of space
itself. Even people like Mr. Cambell can inculcate other humans how to do
that in mere hours! Dust motes my asteroid!

We miniscule "dust motes" may be the only self-aware motes in the entire
universe. Some scoff at such a presumption but the universe is still young.
15 b.y. old, we think. Just a teenager. Someone or Something has to be the
"first" to become self aware. Why not us puny bags of saline and carbon?

No, Chris, we are more than the sum of our chemical makeup. We are capable
of being so much more if we don't annihilate ourselves first or allow those
less intelligent than us to annihilate us. I have absolutely no doubt at
all that, given enough time, we will become gods or perhaps even God.
Perhaps we already are.

We think, therefore we are.

--
Jim Fisher

Old March 22nd 04, 02:52 AM
Judah

OK you guys. You are starting to sound like a Mrin Chronicle now, and it's
just plain scaring me.

I always thought that those books were Science Fiction. But after reading
your transaction, I truly have to wonder if you have found the Spirit of
Torak.

And besides, now that they are making movies out of this stuff, I just
don't have the patience to read it all again...

If you could please call the producers and ask them to include your
discussion in part V of The War of Elvenkind, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

"Jim Fisher" wrote in
:

Old March 22nd 04, 03:27 AM
Teacherjh

Someone or Something has to be the
"first" to become self aware.

Well, er.... no.

Because of the equivalence of space and time, which was discovered (until we
find out otherwise) by a particular bag of chemicals who worked in the patent
office, there is no absolute way to decide what came "first" outside the light
cone.

Jose

Old March 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
Andrew Gideon

C J Campbell wrote:

We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Nice to know I've come to the right place for a snack.

- Andrew

Old March 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
Jim Fisher

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
there is no absolute way to decide what came "first" outside the light
cone.

Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are not allowed!

--
Jim Fisher

Old March 22nd 04, 11:19 PM
John Galban

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...

The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Been watching the Twilight Zone? A book entitled "To Serve Man"
springs immediately to mind :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 23rd 04, 04:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
not allowed!

Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.

Old March 23rd 04, 06:08 AM
Chip Jones

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
not allowed!

Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.

Dang, and I thought we were gonna start talking Winchesters, Navy Colts, and
the Zen of the 7.62mm...

Chip, ZTL

Old March 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
Tom Sixkiller

nk.net...

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
not allowed!

Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.

Dang, and I thought we were gonna start talking Winchesters, Navy Colts,

and
the Zen of the 7.62mm...

I thought it had to do with Spanish Mausers.