What an annual....

Old February 15th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Default What an annual....

this has got to be it. Both props off for overhaul, it's time, now I am
looking at two new props with deice boots, 15k times two. can get some
new blades and use the old hubs but I am thinking it's best just to be
rid of them. I thought this annual would hurt when I got three new gear
actuators rather than overhauled. Last year it was a new, rather than
repaired, engine mount.

What a hobby!

Old February 15th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/15/2007 2:51:30 PM, The Visitor wrote:

this has got to be it. Both props off for overhaul, it's time, now I am
looking at two new props with deice boots, 15k times two. can get some
new blades and use the old hubs but I am thinking it's best just to be
rid of them. I thought this annual would hurt when I got three new gear
actuators rather than overhauled. Last year it was a new, rather than
repaired, engine mount.

What a hobby!

Sorrta makes those $50/year user fees being proposed a non-issue, eh?

--
Peter
Old February 15th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

On Feb 15, 3:18 pm, "Peter R." wrote:

Sorrta makes those $50/year user fees being proposed a non-issue, eh?

Unfortunately, that seems to me to be one of the big things going
against us. There will be very little public sympathy because of the
general belief that people who own and/or fly GA aircraft are super
rich and paying $30 for a weather briefing or $50 to fly an ILS is
nothing to them. While it may be true for a part of the group, the
pilots flying the simpler aircraft (and in this group I include any
pilot that needs to watch their flying budget closely) will really be
the ones that are affected by the user-fees and change the way they
fly--even give it up altogether.

Times like these make me appreciate the existence of AOPA.

Marco

Old February 15th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

In the words of a recent U.S. president that we'll call, um, "randy",
ah share yer pain.

My nose gear had to come off because some line guy turned it to far
with the tug. The engine frame went sproiing when they did that,
which revealed a bent frame, now sent off to be rebuilt. Then the
drag brace turned out to be warped, $1500 for a new one from Piper.

I retired last year but may need to go back to work just to support
the plane.

Old February 15th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" said:
On Feb 15, 3:18 pm, "Peter R." wrote:

Sorrta makes those $50/year user fees being proposed a non-issue, eh?

Unfortunately, that seems to me to be one of the big things going
against us. There will be very little public sympathy because of the
general belief that people who own and/or fly GA aircraft are super
rich and paying $30 for a weather briefing or $50 to fly an ILS is
nothing to them. While it may be true for a part of the group, the

Which part of "$50/year" are you having trouble understanding?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"This was, apparently, beyond her ken. So far beyond her ken that she was
Old February 15th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Which part of "$50/year" are you having trouble understanding?

Where are you getting $50/year. I read $0.70/gallon additional tax. $50/year
means I can only fly seven yours a year.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...authorization/

Old February 15th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Allen[_1_]

"The Visitor" wrote in message
this has got to be it. Both props off for overhaul, it's time, now I am
looking at two new props with deice boots, 15k times two. can get some
new blades and use the old hubs but I am thinking it's best just to be rid
of them. I thought this annual would hurt when I got three new gear
actuators rather than overhauled. Last year it was a new, rather than
repaired, engine mount.

What a hobby!

What kind of airplane that the props are 15 grand each?

Allen

Old February 15th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steve Foley" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Which part of "$50/year" are you having trouble understanding?

Where are you getting $50/year.

From the post that the person I was responding to was responding to. I
confess I didn't verify his figure, and now that I've looked at the FAA
site I see it's wrong.

I read $0.70/gallon additional tax. $50/year
means I can only fly seven yours a year.

Read it again. That's 70 cents per gallon TOTAL, not additional.

Sec 901. Modifications to Tax on Aviation Fuel. Subsection (a)(1) sets the
tax rate for aviation gasoline to be 70.0 cents per gallon starting on the
transition date.

What is is now, about 20 cents? So yeah, it will be more expensive than
it has been. What isn't?

There is certainly nothing in there about this "$30 per weather briefing
and $50 per ILS" bull****. On the contrary, it says

Sec. 201. Fees.
"General avaition aircraft will continue to pay a fuel tax and will
not be subject ot a fee for services, except if the operation is
through terminal airpace for a large hub airport, in which case the
operation may be subject to the fee established for services provided
in such airspace."

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...l_Analysis.pdf

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I would like to shake the hand of the man who first decided that e-mail
Old February 15th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/15/2007 4:24:40 PM, "Steve Foley" wrote:

Where are you getting $50/year. I read $0.70/gallon additional tax. $50/year
means I can only fly seven yours a year.

He was getting it from me and I was just joking around. Although what you
quoted was what has been proposed, no one really knows what the real fee is
going to be, if at all. I simply pulled that bogus figure out of my rear
because I recall reading something like that was in place for light aircraft
up in Canada now. I could be wrong there, too, but my intent was not to focus
on user fees; rather it was to make light of the OP's major annual expense.

--
Peter
Old February 15th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

On Feb 15, 4:46 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
[snip]
There is certainly nothing in there about this "$30 per weather briefing
and $50 per ILS" bull****. On the contrary, it says

Now, now Paul. Take a deep breath, no need to get testy. I fully
realize that there is nothing in the current FAA proposal with these
fees. If you must know, I am referring to the potential as described
by AOPA where they used a sample set of various fees from a user-fee-
based European system.

A bit dramatic? Maybe. Bull****? Maybe not but we shall see.

Marco

Annual Denny Owning 9 February 5th 07 10:24 PM
Pre-buy after Annual Douglas Olson Owning 13 May 24th 05 01:14 AM
First Annual Fun - Day 2 Jon Kraus Owning 39 April 27th 05 02:20 PM
First Annual Fun - Day 1 Jon Kraus Owning 4 April 19th 05 08:18 PM
In for Annual Jim Weir Piloting 0 August 5th 04 07:06 PM