GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

Old May 13th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

This question particularly applies to the CAP mission pilots in the group:

we have been flying GX50 and 60s in our CAP birds, but I'm playing with
a GNS430 in a private aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a correlation of
the SAR functions in Garmin's unit like Apollo's.

I'd like to know how others handle the missing functions. Do you manually
create a flight plan with waypoints at the end of each grid leg? 30 years
ago we only had to use pencil and charts, but now we have to demonstrate
integration of the GPS into our search patterns. The Apollo makes it easy
with the SAR map page; what am I missing on the Garmin?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old May 13th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

This question particularly applies to the CAP mission pilots in the group:

we have been flying GX50 and 60s in our CAP birds, but I'm playing with
a GNS430 in a private aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a correlation of
the SAR functions in Garmin's unit like Apollo's.

I'd like to know how others handle the missing functions. Do you manually
create a flight plan with waypoints at the end of each grid leg? 30 years
ago we only had to use pencil and charts, but now we have to demonstrate
integration of the GPS into our search patterns. The Apollo makes it easy
with the SAR map page; what am I missing on the Garmin?

My understanding is that Apollo put specific functionality into their boxes
to allow flying SAR grids specifically because they were chasing a big CAP
contract. So, it's not surprising it's not in the Garmin boxes.
Old May 13th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:09:15 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

This question particularly applies to the CAP mission pilots in the group:

we have been flying GX50 and 60s in our CAP birds, but I'm playing with
a GNS430 in a private aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a correlation of
the SAR functions in Garmin's unit like Apollo's.

I'd like to know how others handle the missing functions. Do you manually
create a flight plan with waypoints at the end of each grid leg? 30 years
ago we only had to use pencil and charts, but now we have to demonstrate
integration of the GPS into our search patterns. The Apollo makes it easy
with the SAR map page; what am I missing on the Garmin?

My understanding is that Apollo put specific functionality into their boxes
to allow flying SAR grids specifically because they were chasing a big CAP
contract. So, it's not surprising it's not in the Garmin boxes.

The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.
Old May 13th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

I thought I read that the 1000 uses the 400/500 series logic to drive it. If
that's so, then I wonder why the macro to generate the flight plan isn't
retrofitted to the earlier units.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old May 14th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

"Jim Carter" wrote:

This question particularly applies to the CAP mission pilots in the group:

we have been flying GX50 and 60s in our CAP birds, but I'm playing with
a GNS430 in a private aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a correlation of
the SAR functions in Garmin's unit like Apollo's.

I'd like to know how others handle the missing functions. Do you manually
create a flight plan with waypoints at the end of each grid leg? 30 years
ago we only had to use pencil and charts, but now we have to demonstrate
integration of the GPS into our search patterns. The Apollo makes it easy
with the SAR map page; what am I missing on the Garmin?

My understanding is that Apollo put specific functionality into their boxes
to allow flying SAR grids specifically because they were chasing a big CAP
contract. So, it's not surprising it's not in the Garmin boxes.

The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting because our G1000 CAP 182 does not. We program in the 4
points of the grid and then create a flight plan around it. In fact
that is one of the required exercies for observers to get signed off
in the squadron. The observer basically owns the right screen and the
pilot owns the left ( you can use the inset to see anything you would
have seen on the right screen).

Old May 14th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On 14 May 2007 15:25:19 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On May 13, 1:42 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:

The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting because our G1000 CAP 182 does not. We program in the 4
points of the grid and then create a flight plan around it. In fact
that is one of the required exercies for observers to get signed off
in the squadron. The observer basically owns the right screen and the
pilot owns the left ( you can use the inset to see anything you would
have seen on the right screen).

When you dial the range down sufficiently does your system not draw
grids? Or are we talking about two different things?
Old May 15th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 14, 3:39 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
On 14 May 2007 15:25:19 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On May 13, 1:42 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting because our G1000 CAP 182 does not. We program in the 4
points of the grid and then create a flight plan around it. In fact
that is one of the required exercies for observers to get signed off
in the squadron. The observer basically owns the right screen and the
pilot owns the left ( you can use the inset to see anything you would
have seen on the right screen).

When you dial the range down sufficiently does your system not draw
grids? Or are we talking about two different things?

It shows the same section grid lines that any G1000 does but it does
not allow you to flight plan to a CAP named grid like our GX60 (with
CAP database) did.

-Robert

Old May 15th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

The GX 50/60 series puts the grid lines on the quadrangle with WPTs at each
turnpoint. Does the G1000 do the same?

But back to any of the non-GX 50/60 class; does the aircrew just calculate
and program in the WPTs by hand, or do they use the old pencil and chart
method to layout the grid track?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On 14 May 2007 15:25:19 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"

Old May 15th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 15, 5:47 am, "Jim Carter" wrote:
The GX 50/60 series puts the grid lines on the quadrangle with WPTs at each
turnpoint. Does the G1000 do the same?

But back to any of the non-GX 50/60 class; does the aircrew just calculate
and program in the WPTs by hand, or do they use the old pencil and chart
method to layout the grid track?

In the G1000 the observer takes command of the right screen while
taxiing out and programs in a way point named Grid#A/B/C/D, etc.
So he creates a WPT called 123A, 123B, 123C, 123D, etc. He does this
by looking at his gridded sectional and figuring the lat/long. If he
makes a mistake, its obvious on the screen. If he's lucky someone else
has already searched that grid and the WPT is already there! . He
then creates a flight plan that goes direct to one of the points and
then goes through each point. That flight plan is stored in the FPL
database for the pilot to pull up. We don't do much hand flying in the
G1000 planes, the autopilots are pretty awesome.

-Robert

Old May 15th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

So do you fly anything except G1000s? If so, then how do you program in the
grid tracks? Do you have a formula for calculating the grid-edge waypoints?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
oups.com...