First use of term "sailplane" ?

Old January 17th 05, 04:19 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Default First use of term "sailplane" ?

Does anybody know the origins/history of the term "sailplane"?
Thanks,

KK

Old January 17th 05, 04:30 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

I did find the following info ... according to the original definition,
a 1-26 is a sailplane ... so I don't want any static about having a
link to the 1-26 Association on the SRA page. :-)

http://www.greeleynet.com/~jhpc/FAQ.doc

Frequently Asked Questions about Gliders and Soaring
by John H. Campbell, SSA Youth Committee

What is the proper term for the aircraft--Glider or Sailplane?
Either, mainly "glider". A glider is any motorless aircraft, this is
the generic and colloquial term used by sailplane pilots themselves.
The word "sailplane" came about in the 1920s to distinguish refined
gliders (glide ratios over 20:1) from "secondary" (over 10:1) and lowly
"primary" training gliders. Since the 1970s, the term has been useful
to mark a distinction from hang-gliders. In the USA, "glider" is the
FAA aircraft category designation for sailplanes and motorgliders
(motorized sailplanes

Old January 17th 05, 09:04 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Thanks ! ... that seems pretty definitive !

KK

Old January 17th 05, 10:53 PM
bernie01

Definitive? Hmm, I wonder if the word 'sailplane' might have earlier
origins? Lilienthal, Chanute et al used cotton twill cloth to cover
their gliders (perhaps the same, or similar, cloth used for yacht sails
of the time?) and Lilienthal referred to one of his machines as
'Normal-Segelapparat (standard sailing machine)'. It is not too much of
a stretch of the imagination (for me) to believe that people might have
called such gliders 'sailplanes'.
In more recent times, the term 'sailplane' seems to me a much more
appropriate (and elegant) name for hang gliders, which are indeed using
sailcloth for their surface covering.
See Lilienthal info at
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...t/lilienth.htm

--
bernie01
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old January 18th 05, 12:46 AM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Interesting ...

So the original cloth over avian inspired skeletal designs built by
Otto were sailplanes ... Segelflugzeug ...

Then at some point Gleiter (Glider) was a descriptive term ... that may
or may not have had performance implications.

Then in the 20s the term sailplane was 're-defined' to mean higher
performance ... vs. gliders I assume ...
Thanks all for you info on this ...

KK

Old January 19th 05, 09:42 PM
Mark James Boyd

I KNEW the 2-22 and 2-33 were good sailplanes.
I just didn't know they were THAT good...:P

In article ,
Peter Harding wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Does anybody know the origins/history of the term "sailplane"?
Thanks,

The Oxford English Dictionary has a quote using the term from 1922:

1922 Flight XIV. 545/2 The gliding angle of a good ‘sail-plane’ might be
in the neighbourhood of 1 in 16 or 1 in 18.

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old January 20th 05, 03:47 AM
John H. Campbell

Thanks all for you info on this ...

... and hey, thanks for discovering my FAQ draft, forgot I had it up. John
Seaborn improved on it (with nice pictures) at www.ssa.org/UsTeam/adobe
pdf/pr pdf/BR Soaring FAQ V4 04.pdf , along with other gems in the US Team
Press Room, www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_press.htm .

My reading of many old books suggests that segelflugzeug - prueflung -
zoegling (sailplane - secondary - primary) was a breakdown set at 20:1 and
10:1 as of the early days of the RRG and Wasserkuppe flight school ca 1923.
In the USA, builders preferred lumping primary and secondary categories
together as the "utility" glider, reflected in the 1930 Franklin PS-2
("Primary and Secondary, too") or some Schweizer gliders up through 1968
(e.g. SGU 2-22E, SAC Glider Utility model #22, vs. SGS 2-8). This despite
Col. Evans and JC Penney Jr. having imported one of all 3 kinds of german
glider in 1928 for display the Detroit Air Show (including the D-1 as the
"sailplane").

Good point about Otto and Gustav. "Birdflight as the basis for Aviation" is
in reprint and evidences the fascination of those brothers with soaring
flight. The quote I liked came early in their program:
"We returned home, after these experiments, with the conviction that sailing
flight was not the exclusive prerogative of birds" - Otto Lilienthal, 1874.
However, their devices were hardly sailplanes (either in performance,
control, or launch means), more like parachutes.

Old February 5th 05, 03:27 PM
ASW20747

It might be of interest to note, that on commercial jets, with with wing
mounted engines, the skin that covers the engine pylon (the pylon is the
internal structure that attaches the engine to the wing) is called, of all
things, the Sailplane!

Erik Larson / XL
Old February 6th 05, 12:59 PM
Go

John H. Campbell wrote:
Good point about Otto and Gustav. "Birdflight as the basis for

Aviation" is
in reprint and evidences the fascination of those brothers with

soaring
flight. The quote I liked came early in their program:
"We returned home, after these experiments, with the conviction that

sailing
flight was not the exclusive prerogative of birds" - Otto Lilienthal,

1874.
However, their devices were hardly sailplanes (either in performance,
control, or launch means), more like parachutes.

Thanks for sharing this John. I found this quote which I think is
perfect for those of us who yearn to get into the air as Spring
approaches:

"With each advent of spring, when the air is alive with innumerable
happy creatures; when the storks on their arrival at their old northern
resorts fold up the imposing flying apparatus which has carried them
thousands of miles, lay back their heads and announce their arrival by
joyously rattling their beaks; when the swallows have made their entry
and hurry through our streets and pass our windows in sailing flight;
when the lark appears as a dot in the ether and manifests its joy of
existence by its song; then a certain desire takes possession of man.
He longs to soar upward and to glide, free as the bird, over smiling
fields, leafy woods and mirror-like lakes, and so enjoy the varying
landscape as fully as only a bird can do."
Otto Lilienthal

I need to read this book!