Replacing fuel cut-off valve with non-a/c part???

Old December 26th 04, 08:17 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Replacing fuel cut-off valve with non-a/c part???

Folks -
I have a '46 Taylorcraft with a leaking fuel cut-off valve. I suspect
the valve stem packing is causing the problem. As this is the third
time I"ve had to address a seep with this original valve, I'd like to
replace it. I believe a ball type valve from the local hardware store
would do the trick, as it has no parts that would be harmed by
gasoline. It appears to be all brass with teflon bearings.

A look at the FAR indicates replacing the valve is not a major thing
and a 337 is not require; however, the proposed valve is not certified
for use in an a/c.

I plan on talking with the local FSDO, but until then, can someone
provide any insight into what I'm going to have to do? Thanks, Mike
Old December 26th 04, 08:47 PM
RST Engineering

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Jim

"Michael Horowitz"

I plan on talking with the local FSDO

Old December 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Michael Horowitz

sigh
Yeah, and to compound the problem, being in the DC area, the local
FSDO is sure to dot all the 'i's.

I'm open to suggestion. - Mike

Old December 26th 04, 11:06 PM
zatatime

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:52:48 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Yeah, and to compound the problem, being in the DC area, the local
FSDO is sure to dot all the 'i's.

I'm open to suggestion. - Mike

I think you said it was for a Taylorcraft. Take a look at what the
J-2, 3, 4, or 5 use. They are similar airplanes so it may have the
same type of shut-off valve. Also, call Univair. They deal with
antiques as a specialty, maybe a sales person can give you some ideas,
or let you talk to their tech support guys.

HTH.
Old December 27th 04, 12:29 AM
john smith

Contact Forrest Barber, Barber Airport, Alliance OH 330.823.1168

Old December 27th 04, 12:33 AM
JDupre5762

I believe a ball type valve from the local hardware store
would do the trick,

Quite possibly true but not a legal repair.

A look at the FAR indicates replacing the valve is not a major thing
and a 337 is not require; however, the proposed valve is not certified
for use in an a/c.

Look deeper, deeper, deeper into those FARs. Per the FARs you cannot replace a
certificated part with common hardware store parts unless those parts meet
whatever standard applies. If you were to replace the fuel shut off valve with
something not certificated for that aircraft you would need a Form 337 to gain
approval.

I plan on talking with the local FSDO, but until then, can someone
provide any insight into what I'm going to have to do? Thanks, Mike

Another poster recommended talking to Univair. They probably have the part or
know who can get them for you. Is there a Taylorcraft club? Taylorcrafts are
back in production so they probably have fuel shut off valves. Aircraft model
numbers have changed so that the current production part may not apply to an
older model but they might and it would be easier to approve a part from the
current type certificate holder than anywhere else.

John Dupre'

Old December 27th 04, 01:55 AM
RST Engineering

Buy what you consider an adequate replacement. Do your homework and get
something that will stand up to gasoline for dozens of years.

Plug the input and output ports. Put the part into a mixing bowl with sand
and dirt. Let the mixer run for a few hours. You now have a part that has
been on the airplane for years Nobody is going to question it unless you
spill the beans.

Sheesh...

Jim

Old December 27th 04, 02:01 AM
RST Engineering

You really don't understand, do you John? The process to approve this part
is NOT a simple 337. A 337 means you have approved data to make the
modification.

Oh, no, sir. You submit a request to the local FSDO inspector, who transfers
it to regional engineering, who passes it on to Oklahoma City, who bucks it
up the ladder to Washington DC for a policy decision, while you wait, and
wait, and wait for an answer.

This is a frikkin' low horsepower single engine airplane out of the 1930s.
If the valve the person is suggesting that they use is available at the
local hardware store, it is far superior to ANYTHING that was available in
the middle of the last century.

Put the sumbitch on and keep your mouth shut.

Jim

Old December 27th 04, 02:02 AM
Rob McDonald

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:17:44 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Folks -
I have a '46 Taylorcraft with a leaking fuel cut-off valve. I suspect
the valve stem packing is causing the problem. As this is the third
time I"ve had to address a seep with this original valve, I'd like to
replace it. I believe a ball type valve from the local hardware store
would do the trick, as it has no parts that would be harmed by
gasoline. It appears to be all brass with teflon bearings.

A look at the FAR indicates replacing the valve is not a major thing
and a 337 is not require; however, the proposed valve is not certified
for use in an a/c.

I am not familiar with the fuel cutoff valve on the Taylorcraft, but this
is a common problem on Champs and Chiefs. Replacement valves are made of
unobtanium. The good news if yours is similar, is they are almost always
repairable.

If the leak is around the valve stem, consult your local plumbing or
hardware store for replacement packing material. If it is not shutting off
(fuel continues to flow to the carburetor), the valve/seat can be lapped
with a fine abrasive such as toothpaste. Mine had both problems.
disassembly, cleaning, lapping, and new packing material were the answer.

Rob
Old December 27th 04, 04:03 AM
Kyle Boatright

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
You really don't understand, do you John? The process to approve this
part is NOT a simple 337. A 337 means you have approved data to make the
modification.

Oh, no, sir. You submit a request to the local FSDO inspector, who
transfers it to regional engineering, who passes it on to Oklahoma City,
who bucks it up the ladder to Washington DC for a policy decision, while
you wait, and wait, and wait for an answer.

This is a frikkin' low horsepower single engine airplane out of the 1930s.
If the valve the person is suggesting that they use is available at the
local hardware store, it is far superior to ANYTHING that was available in
the middle of the last century.

Put the sumbitch on and keep your mouth shut.

Jim

You're a bad person.

But I totally agree. ;-)

The only way you get busted is if: A) The airplane crashes because the valve
failed and B) You open your mouth.

KB