Cockpit noise level

Old October 9th 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Bjork

Default Cockpit noise level

I am trying to reduce the wind noise in my Duo Discus. I've tried
adhesive-backed foam and weather-stripping with limited success. Anybody
have a "Perfect" or even "pretty good" solution to getting the canopy to
fit tight enough to be quiet but loose enough to open and close without too
much hassle?

Thanks,

SF

Old October 9th 13, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Two place Glider canopies make twice as much noise. I have struggled with that issue on both of the ASH 25's I have owned. Open cell weather stripping works the best as it compresses down nicely, but it moves in hot weather and has to be replaced often. This year I discovered some slightly denser open cell sticky backed foam tape at a hobby shop. It is white and about 1/4 inch in width. It held up all last season and look like it will last at least one more year. I think it is called wing mounting tape. On the ASH the noise seems to come mostly from the back of each canopy.

DLB
Old October 10th 13, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Am 09.10.2013 20:18, Tom Bjork wrote:
I am trying to reduce the wind noise in my Duo Discus. I've tried
adhesive-backed foam and weather-stripping with limited success. Anybody
have a "Perfect" or even "pretty good" solution to getting the canopy to
fit tight enough to be quiet but loose enough to open and close without too
much hassle?

Thanks,

SF

Two methods I know of:

1. Mylar tape on the outside of the canopy, similar as you would use on
the aileron. Seems OK for a private glider, tends to be prone to damage
in club gliders.

2. Use silicon sealant (or similar) to reduce the gap between fuselage
and canopy. Cover the canopy side with cling foil, apply the silicon
sealant into the gap in the fuselage and then close canopy until sealant
is cured. Be careful not to use too much of the sealant.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old October 11th 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_13_]

I've been pleased with the wind noise reduction produced with
SP-FT132 sealing foam tape around my Ventus canopy. Unlike
hardware-store foam tape, its a closed-cell foam, and very thin,
only 1/32 inch thick before compression. It's black, but I put it
on the canopy, not the fuselage, so its not typically visible.
Available from several places, e.g.
http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/SP-
FT132/25/4173/product_detail/index.html