landings (off topic)

Old May 11th 04, 12:07 AM
Lee Elson

Default landings (off topic)

Sorry for the off topic question, but I suspect there are quite a few
of you that could help me:

I'm looking for good techniques for teaching student pilots how to
handle the final phase of landing. In particular how to get students
to recognize when the airplane (a Cessna 152 or 172) is sinking or
rising during the flare, then take appropriate action with pitch and
possibly power. I find that it is really hard to get them to
anticipate the loss of lift and control effectiveness that occurs as
the airspeed decreases. I don't know whether they don't recognize the
sink or just can't translate the recognition into action. I've tried
things like having them look out the side of the airplane and giving
"auditory" feedback. Not much seems to speed the learning process.

So my question to instructors and instructees is: are there any
special exercises that you are aware of that can help in this
recognition process?
Old May 11th 04, 12:16 AM
David Megginson

Lee Elson wrote:

So my question to instructors and instructees is: are there any
special exercises that you are aware of that can help in this
recognition process?

Have you tried using a grease pencil on the plexiglass?

All the best,

David
Old May 11th 04, 01:42 AM
Greg Esres

I don't know whether they don't recognize the
sink or just can't translate the recognition into action.

Thoughts:

1) A good demo on your part every 5 landings or so.

2) Power off stalls at least teaches the muscles the right motion.
Point out the similarity.

3) Fly down the runway a foot or so off the ground with power to
teach them where the ground is. OK if the mains touch occasionally.

Old May 11th 04, 02:33 AM
EDR

peripheral vision
Old May 11th 04, 05:25 AM
Bob Webster

Lee Elson wrote:
[...]

For me, a good landing is like a tennis serve -- it comes and goes. But
the final phase of landing is inevitably easier if you're where you
ought to be at the speed you ought to be when you're 400 feet high
(higher in a heavier plane.)
Old May 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Lee Elson" wrote in message
om...

I'm looking for good techniques for teaching student pilots how to
handle the final phase of landing. In particular how to get students

Fly down the length of the runway 1 foot off the ground with you at the
controls and with the student simply observing.

Then have the student do the same thing with the student at the controls.

A helpful aid to this is to cover up the airspeed indicator; I find this is
very helpful in teaching landings because many pilots fixate on airspeed
rather than attitude in the flare. Once the AI is covered up, the student
has no choice but to focus on airplane attitude and not be distracted by the
gauges and that often makes all the difference.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 13th 04, 06:39 AM
C J Campbell

You must teach them to look at the far end of the runway.

Database update at Landings Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 0 May 11th 04 10:25 PM
slightly off topic Rick Pellicciotti Home Built 0 March 15th 04 03:10 AM
On Topic Joke Eric Miller Home Built 8 March 6th 04 04:01 AM
Off topic, but Hiarous! Morgans Home Built 1 November 2nd 03 05:24 AM
Off topic - Landing of a B-17 Ghost Home Built 2 October 28th 03 05:35 PM