How did the Brits do it?

Old March 10th 04, 08:55 PM
ArtKramr

As the war progressed navigational aids like Gee and Oboe along
with Radar aids like H2S and the use of Pathfinders did improve
accuracy a great deal so that by 1944 the RAF were able to
atatck and obliterate targets varying from troop concentrations
in Normandy to entire cities.

Keith

Of course Gee Box and Oboe came very late in the war. I flew a number of

Gee
missions as the war drew to a close. But how anyone can do long range

dead
reckoning when wind drift and velocity cannot be reliably determined, with

no
view of the stars or gound, makes things a bit hopeless. But I would say

that
90% or more of those missions were flown without any electronic or radar

aids
at all.

Not really Art

Bomber command flew its first mission using Gee in late 1941.

On March 3 1942 the first major raid that utilised gee equipped
aircraft dropping flares for the main force was made against the
Renault works at Billancourt in France. 223 of 235 aircraft
found their target). Losses were very light (one Wellington was lost)
, and damage was evaluated as 'heavy'

By mid summer 1942 almost all BC aircraft had Gee. H2S began
arriving in service in 1943.

We didn't get Gee until late in 1944 when we flew our first Gee mission..Hated
it because we couldn't see the damage we had (or had not) done. I remember the
briefing before the first Gee mission. we were ttoldf the Germans knew nothing
about Gee. On our first mission we got German jamming grass over our scopes.
Not too efficient because we could still see the blips and complete the mission
ok.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old March 10th 04, 09:44 PM
Keith Willshaw

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

We didn't get Gee until late in 1944 when we flew our first Gee

mission..Hated
it because we couldn't see the damage we had (or had not) done. I remember

the
briefing before the first Gee mission. we were ttoldf the Germans knew

nothing
about Gee. On our first mission we got German jamming grass over our

scopes.
Not too efficient because we could still see the blips and complete the

mission
ok.

It would be a matter of priorities, the night bombers got Gee first
because they needed it more and the Pathfinder Squadrons had
priority within Bomber Command

Keith

Old March 10th 04, 10:01 PM
David Windhorst

How did nighttime losses compare to daylight? I've googled a couple
strings looking for both RAF and 8th AF etc. stats, but so far all I've
found are some general statements that, as German nightfighter weapons
and tactics improved, the percentages became roughtly comparable.

Old March 10th 04, 11:13 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Jim Doyle
writes

"M. J. Powell" wrote in message
In message , Jim Doyle
writes

snip

... if only it worked! British tactics against Germany were optimised to

the
conditions of the day, with the subsequent development of nav aids, dead
reckoning was superseded and bombing became much more accurate and
aggressive.

In the latter stages of the war, in my opinion, Area Bombing became
unjustifiable before it ceased. Dresden is a prime example, though there

are
many who believe this to be a show of strength to the Russians, it just
simply didn't deserve the tremendous volume of bombs metered out.

Letter to the Sunday Telegraph. I forgot to note the date.

As a correspondent pointed out, Dresden was bombed because it was a
military target. (Letters Feb 20). The city's destiny was sealed at the
Yalta conference (on Feb 4 1945) and, as Winston Churchill's
interpreter, I heard and watched Stalin with his deputy Chief of Staff,
General Antonov, urgently ask us to bomb roads and railways to stop
Hitler transferring divisions from the West. Antonov stressed the
importance of Dresden as a vital rail junction, saying there was a
"uzel svyazi" - literally, "communications knot".

Churchill and Roosevelt had to agree as they were indebted to Stalin
for relieving pressure on our front during the German Ardennes winter

counter-offensive.

Dresden posed a military threat, granted.

The horrific firestorm created by the incendiaries and napalm killed 100,000
civilians - 1 in 6 of the inhabitants (given there were a large number of
refugees fleeing the advancing Red Army). The message was clear to Stalin,
even if the assault was at his request.

I think he got the message much earlier, after Hamburg et al.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old March 10th 04, 11:14 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Keith Willshaw
writes

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Snip

Every time I think of those guys up there I am in awe of their
incredible courage and determination under near impossible conditions.

BTW, did
they even carry driftmeters?

Sure but how useful they were on a dark and cloudy night
is another matter.

The Dambusters dropped flare floats into the North Sea and got a drift
angle from the rear gunner.

After that they map read...

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old March 10th 04, 11:14 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , ArtKramr
writes

snip

We didn't get Gee until late in 1944 when we flew our first Gee mission..Hated
it because we couldn't see the damage we had (or had not) done. I remember the
briefing before the first Gee mission. we were ttoldf the Germans knew nothing
about Gee. On our first mission we got German jamming grass over our scopes.
Not too efficient because we could still see the blips and complete the mission
ok.

I used Gee III once, in a Javelin. Trouble was by the time I'd lined up
the pips and plotted onto a chart we were 60 miles further on...

450 knots does that.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old March 10th 04, 11:42 PM
Keith Willshaw

"David Windhorst" wrote in message
How did nighttime losses compare to daylight? I've googled a couple
strings looking for both RAF and 8th AF etc. stats, but so far all I've
found are some general statements that, as German nightfighter weapons
and tactics improved, the percentages became roughtly comparable.

The only possible answer is that it varied depending on
when and where. The Berlin raids in late 1943 were
much more dangerous than raids on the Ruhr.

Over the course of the war I recall that loss rates for the
RAF and USAAF were approx the same. By late 44
and into 45 the RAF were making a lot of daylight raids too.

Keith