Weight saving exercise.

Old March 26th 05, 12:06 AM
Fortunat1

"Rich S." sednews:_fydnZvUOMpYONnfRVn-
:

"Fortunat1" wrote in message

. . . so I'm going to have to learn to build an aluminum
tank..

Anyone know of a resource to show me how?

The books by Tony Bingelis have excellent tips on this.
http://www.amtbooks.com/sport_plane_...on_techniq.htm

Mm, have all of his books and I don't remember seeing an article about ali
tank construction, but I did find this article from SA on the net..
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil...About%20An%20A
luminum%20Fuel%20Tank_.html
Old March 26th 05, 02:36 AM
Montblack

("Jan Carlsson" wrote)
use a wood or composite prop not aluminum

I went to your site. Why not aluminum?

for the rest of the body, use meat, fat, egg, fish, vegetable, fruit.
stay out of rice, potatoes, pasta, bread (Atkinson method)

Good Friday ....McDonald's $1.00 fish sandwich ...w/cheese

Montblack - raised Catholic

Old March 26th 05, 03:45 AM
Cy Galley

I would check with a Van's builder. RVs have aluminum riveted tanks with
pro-seal. If you know a good tig welder, then a welded tank can be built.

Old March 26th 05, 04:54 AM
Fortunat1

"Cy Galley" sednews:4V41e.103754$r55.32258@attbi_s52:

I would check with a Van's builder. RVs have aluminum riveted tanks
with pro-seal. If you know a good tig welder, then a welded tank can
be built.

OK, thanks.There are two down the road from me, in fact! I'll probably try
and weld it myself, though I've never welded aluminum before. Then again,
most ofthe things I've done on this contraption I've never done before.
I'm assuming baffles (and I think I'd need them in a long shallow wing
tank) aren't welded, though. I'm supposing that the tank would be
assembled, but the back left open until the baffles are all riveted, and
then closed up and welded?
Old March 26th 05, 06:46 AM
Jan Carlsson

To save weight, if an alu prop weight 30 lb. a birch will be 7 lb., mahogany
5.5 lb.

for efficiency, use the aluminium!

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Old March 26th 05, 07:33 AM
Montblack

To save weight, if an alu prop weight 30 lb. a birch will be 7 lb.,
mahogany
5.5 lb.

for efficiency, use the aluminium!

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Aluminum will weigh 5 x the mahogany? Wow.

At 100-110 mph how much (WAG) efficiency would the wooden prop lose, on say
an Ercoupe?

What's the cost difference between aluminum and wooden props?

Why do people buy birch instead of mahogany?

Cool, a prop person g

Montblack

Old March 26th 05, 01:05 PM
Matt Whiting

Fortunat1 wrote:
"Cy Galley" sednews:4V41e.103754$r55.32258@attbi_s52:

I would check with a Van's builder. RVs have aluminum riveted tanks
with pro-seal. If you know a good tig welder, then a welded tank can
be built.

OK, thanks.There are two down the road from me, in fact! I'll probably try
and weld it myself, though I've never welded aluminum before. Then again,
most ofthe things I've done on this contraption I've never done before.
I'm assuming baffles (and I think I'd need them in a long shallow wing
tank) aren't welded, though. I'm supposing that the tank would be
assembled, but the back left open until the baffles are all riveted, and
then closed up and welded?

I see no reason not to weld the baffles as well. Probably less messy
than sealing the rivets.

Matt
Old March 26th 05, 04:43 PM
Rich S.

"Montblack" wrote in message

Aluminum will weigh 5 x the mahogany? Wow.

Specific gravity of Aluminum = 2.7
Specific gravity of Mahogany = ~.5

What's the cost difference between aluminum and wooden props?

New Ed Sterba Birch prop ~ $600. New Sensenich Aluminum $2,000. These are
rough figures.

Why do people buy birch instead of mahogany?

Birch has a specific gravity ~ .7 and is a lot stronger per pound than
Mahogany when used for a prop.

Rich S.

Old March 26th 05, 06:46 PM
Fortunat1

"Jan Carlsson"
:

To save weight, if an alu prop weight 30 lb. a birch will be 7 lb.,
mahogany 5.5 lb.

for efficiency, use the aluminium!

Well, in this case the prop would be very efecient indeed. It's a 76 inch
ground adjustable Ham Standard with a very nice section. That menas, of
course, that I can screw around with the pitch to get the perforamnce I
need.

Old March 26th 05, 07:56 PM
ORVAL FAIRBAIRN

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

Fortunat1 wrote:
"Cy Galley" sednews:4V41e.103754$r55.32258@attbi_s52:

I would check with a Van's builder. RVs have aluminum riveted tanks
with pro-seal. If you know a good tig welder, then a welded tank can
be built.

OK, thanks.There are two down the road from me, in fact! I'll probably try
and weld it myself, though I've never welded aluminum before. Then again,
most ofthe things I've done on this contraption I've never done before.
I'm assuming baffles (and I think I'd need them in a long shallow wing
tank) aren't welded, though. I'm supposing that the tank would be
assembled, but the back left open until the baffles are all riveted, and
then closed up and welded?

I see no reason not to weld the baffles as well. Probably less messy
than sealing the rivets.

Matt

that depends on the aluminum alloy used -- and, how much warping you can
tolerate. Van's tanks are "wet" cells -- part of the wing and are
2024-T3, which is NOT weldable. The nice thing about wet cells is that
they add only the weight of the ProSeal to the airframe weight, while
separate tanks add their own weight to the plane.

6061 and 5052 are common weldable alloys, but you will get some
distortions from the welding process.

more radial fans like fw190? jt Military Aviation 51 August 28th 04 04:22 AM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM
Empty/Gross weight Vs. Max. Pilot weight Flyhighdave Soaring 13 January 14th 04 04:20 AM