SAA vs. EAA

Old November 30th 04, 06:20 PM
Smitty

Default SAA vs. EAA

Just curious as to impressions of the SAA. I recently recieved a
letter from the EAA soliciting donations signed by Rutan and Melville
with a postcard of SS1. While I don't mean to belittle the
achievements of either of these 2 gentlemen, I do find it disturbing
that the EAA has chosen to solicit funds not unlike the NRA and other
mega organisations.

Not that many years ago the EAA started the EAA Foundation to foster
grassroots education. The Young Easgles and several other programs
began life under that banner if memory serves correctly. Recently,
the Foundation was rolled back into EAA including all of it's assets.
I'm unsure of what they might have been, but I seem to recall seeing
several aircraft sitting in and around the Foundation hangar on the
far side of the airport fromt he show gounds. I'm seriously giving
thought to stopping my membership in the EAA after this year and
looking into the SAA. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
Old November 30th 04, 06:58 PM
Ron Natalie

Smitty wrote:
Just curious as to impressions of the SAA. I recently recieved a
letter from the EAA soliciting donations signed by Rutan and Melville
with a postcard of SS1. While I don't mean to belittle the
achievements of either of these 2 gentlemen, I do find it disturbing
that the EAA has chosen to solicit funds not unlike the NRA and other
mega organisations.

So what is new? Do you think that your EAA membership covers all the
expenses of what the EAA does?

Not that many years ago the EAA started the EAA Foundation to foster
grassroots education.

I don't know what you mean by "not that many years ago." The Foundation
has been around since almost the begining of the EAA. It got it's non-profit
status in 1962.

Recently,
the Foundation was rolled back into EAA including all of it's assets.
I'm unsure of what they might have been, but I seem to recall seeing
several aircraft sitting in and around the Foundation hangar on the
far side of the airport fromt he show gounds. I'm seriously giving
thought to stopping my membership in the EAA after this year and
looking into the SAA. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

Not heard that, but really the distiction between the Association
and the Foundation was always one to satisfy the federal regulatory
issues.
Old December 1st 04, 01:15 AM
Dave Hyde

Ron Natalie wrote...

Do you think that your EAA membership covers all the
expenses of what the EAA does?

I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

Dave 'honest question' Hyde

Old December 1st 04, 02:27 PM
jls

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
Ron Natalie wrote...

Do you think that your EAA membership covers all the
expenses of what the EAA does?

I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

Dave 'honest question' Hyde

I think they're ashamed to say.

Old December 1st 04, 03:35 PM
TaxSrv

" jls" wrote:
I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

I think they're ashamed to say.

Ashamed or not, they must by law place this info into the public
record. For the YE 2/28/03, EAA paid Tom Poberezny $188,080 plus a
pension contribution. Other officers were not compensated. The 5
highest paid executives were paid between $94K and $164K, none of whom
appear related to the Poberezny's. From the EAA Aviation Foundation
(museum, educational activities, and recipient of gifts/bequests), Tom
P. was paid $190,081 plus pension contr, with other officers similarly
unpaid but various other compensated executives.

Fred F.

Old December 1st 04, 04:54 PM
Ron Natalie

Dave Hyde wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote...

Do you think that your EAA membership covers all the
expenses of what the EAA does?

I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

I got inquired about this a few years back. The rumor
was Poberezny was making over half a mil, but my insiders
at the EAA HQ say it's less than half that. Of course, the
fringes are pretty good (makes up for having to live in
Wisconsin in the winter).
Old December 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Matt Whiting

TaxSrv wrote:

" jls" wrote:

I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

I think they're ashamed to say.

Ashamed or not, they must by law place this info into the public
record. For the YE 2/28/03, EAA paid Tom Poberezny $188,080 plus a
pension contribution. Other officers were not compensated. The 5
highest paid executives were paid between $94K and $164K, none of whom
appear related to the Poberezny's. From the EAA Aviation Foundation
(museum, educational activities, and recipient of gifts/bequests), Tom
P. was paid $190,081 plus pension contr, with other officers similarly
unpaid but various other compensated executives.

Fred F.

That's one reason I dropped my EAA membership a few years ago. The
salaries are not at all in line.

Matt

Old December 1st 04, 11:56 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
TaxSrv wrote:

" jls" wrote:

I doubt it. Do you know how much the officers are paid,
by chance?

I think they're ashamed to say.

Ashamed or not, they must by law place this info into the public
record. For the YE 2/28/03, EAA paid Tom Poberezny $188,080 plus a
pension contribution. Other officers were not compensated. The 5
highest paid executives were paid between $94K and $164K, none of whom
appear related to the Poberezny's. From the EAA Aviation Foundation
(museum, educational activities, and recipient of gifts/bequests), Tom
P. was paid $190,081 plus pension contr, with other officers similarly
unpaid but various other compensated executives.

Fred F.

That's one reason I dropped my EAA membership a few years ago. The
salaries are not at all in line.

Matt

In line with what? Depending on your industry/role/etc, there are plenty of
jobs out there that pay well over $100k. I'm not saying it is a good thing
for folks working at a non-profit to rake in the bucks, but it isn't like
these guys get stock options, etc. like lots of folks in the corporate world
do...

KB

Old December 2nd 04, 02:58 AM
Matt Whiting

TaxSrv wrote:

" jls" wrote:

[...]

Most folks in the corporate world (not all as we all know!) have fairly
well documented performance objectives that they must hit to make their
money. I'd like to see Tom's performance objectives.

Matt

Old December 2nd 04, 04:29 AM
Drew Dalgleish

TaxSrv wrote:

" jls" wrote:

[...]

Most folks in the cororate world aren't getting rich off the backs of
volunteers just out to better their passion for aviation