want to design/built my own plane

Old January 19th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default want to design/built my own plane

wrote

The proper attribution was cut off the top, but the ' ' makes it
clear to a human reader that the statement was from a previous
article.

We disagree on that point. If it says "Morgans wrote:" then it has my
words, it is attributed to me. The number of "'s" makes it possible for
a knowledgeable reader to tell it was not me, but it may not be clear for
the inexperienced "newsgroupie." g

It is still incorrect practice, and I might have let it go, had the
statement been less of an abomination, or the writer a less of a moron. As
it was, (both) I felt the need to object, and I did.

Clear enough? See, we can disagree, here in the groups, without it
resulting in insults and name-calling. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old January 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message
such a useful and helpful crowd here...full of well thought out comments

Try posting a well thought out post. You might be surprised how much help
this group can be.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 19th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

You could always build something with remarkable historic and astethic
(sp?) apeal, then put it on the airshow circut and make it pay for
itself... wait, that's my gig. Get your own.

Saw a breezy way back in '74, when i was, well, um I was little.
Helluva lot of welding...

Harry

Old January 20th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"wright1902glider" wrote

Saw a breezy way back in '74, when i was, well, um I was little.
Helluva lot of welding...

\\
Sure looks that way, doesn't it? I wonder what a bare fuselage weighs? Oh,
that's right, they all are bare! And calling it a fuselage, that's, well,
questionable. ;-)

It looks to my eye, that it would be heavy. I'm sure most of it is really
thin tube, though.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 20th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message
been to oshkosh for the past 4 years and would like my own airplane.

until i saw the sticker prices.

then I saw the one could build their own planes cheaper.

after looking at the available price designs, I started thinking "how int
the world would a person at minimum wage afford a plane?"

found the affordaplane and legal eagle.

went back to a spruce aircraft catalog and looked in there, saw plans for
the breezy......

now the breezy appeals to me. it looks possible to modify, easy to build,
and can be used with a number of different airfoils (whol wind assy's
actually)

anyone build one?

Well, a lot depends on what you want to do. If you want to fly, probably the
best thing is to find something to buy. If you want to build for the sake of
building, then for sure, build. If you enjoy the design process, design. But
from the sound of your post, it sounds like your objective is to fly at a
lower cost.

One way to save money would be to look for something used - could be a used
breezy if that't what you really want. A runout Cessna 150 that needs some
work might be the ticket if you can find an aircraft mechanic that will sign
off on your work. Used homebuilts ususally go for less than certified
aircraft. Assuming that your objective is to save money, of course.

Another "middle" option is to find a partially done "project" to save time
and money. There are a lot of airplanes that are started and never
finished... :-( You can often find projects that are 90% done (leaving only
50% left to do.) for not much more than the cost of materials.

You can save money by building, but you will have to work at it. A "fast
build" kit with everything done for you won't save much over buying
something used.

Other lower cost options include partners, renting or joining a club - many
can be a lot more reasonable than single ownership. You can find lower
performance gliders for a lot less than a new car if you really want to own
your own. Glider clubs can be even more economical - downright cheap
compared to most other options. Assuming, of course, that your primary
objective is flying - not building.

If you want't to fly on minimum wage, well, the sad fact is that you are
going to have to get creative. Real creative.

The trick is to decide what you really want to do. Then go for it.

Good Luck.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old January 22nd 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Damn you are a jerk, Jim in NC. Do you have a J.D from a top tier
school and four offices making loot like it was being printed there? I
do. You got a Hawker 800. I do. You don't deserve to fly. Flying is for
people with more education than you have!

Old January 22nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Damn you are a jerk, Jim in NC. Do you have a J.D from a top tier
school and four offices making loot like it was being printed there? I
do. You got a Hawker 800. I do. You don't deserve to fly. Flying is for
people with more education than you have!

I don't know what your problem is with me, but you sure showed your butt
with this post.

I was not addressing you; you are not part of this poster coming in showing
his ignorance, like the troll that he is. I do not suffer fools gladly.
Are you one of the fools; a 2nd rate troll?

As far as your education, and your money, and your plane that you have? So
what? Am I supposed to be impressed? Not.

Next time you want to come and post, argue specifics. I don't even know
what post you are replying to, since you included none of the post that got
your panties in a wad. You surely are not worth the effort to go back and
figure it out.

So I'm a jerk? Why? I am so uneducated that I don't deserve to fly? What
leads you to that conclusion?

Wow. I really didn't think rational people reacted to me so badly.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 22nd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Your post to the guy looking for a cheap plane. " You can't. Flying is
for smart people. Smart people get more education, so
they can get above minimum wage jobs. "

Old January 22nd 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Your post to the guy looking for a cheap plane. " You can't. Flying is
for smart people. Smart people get more education, so
they can get above minimum wage jobs. "

OK, fair enough. I'll play.

Yep, I was a smart ass. Have you been in this group very long? There are a
lot of kids who get on mommy's computer, and post, without ever using their
brain, and I do treat them rudely.

So do a lot of other people. I'll not speak for other people, but I for one
am tired of them. When I first started on this group, I read for 6 months,
before I ever made my first post. Others should read and learn, then post.

Lets look at what he posted, and more importantly, how he posted.

OP been to oshkosh for the past 4 years and would like my own airplane.
OP until i saw the sticker prices.

Note, that there is no subject in the sentence, no commas, no capital
letters. It looks like a kid, without even looking at the content. Let's
look at that.

So he has been to Osh for the past 4 years, and is just now is discovering
that airplanes are expensive? Wake up and smell the coffee. Yeah, every
kid wants his own plane. How about learning to fly one, or saving up for
one? Get realistic, huh? For that matter, I doubt that he has been to OSH,
unless he lives there, and rode his bike over.

How about that subject, too? He "wants to design/build his own plane"

There is a good thought. Someone who no doubt has never been a pilot, has
been around airplanes so little, that he does not even know that they are
expensive, and he wants to design his own plane. He obviously needs a big
reality check.

OP then I saw the one could build their own planes cheaper.

Still going on like he is on instant messenger, with no sentence structure,
no capitals, words that don't even make sense, in context.

So now he has the bright idea that he can get the bottom line down, by
building his own. There is another realistic thought. With his lack of
experience, he does not have a clue what would be involved. Building is
cheap? Ha!

OP after looking at the available price designs, I started thinking "how
int
OP the world would a person at minimum wage afford a plane?"

Now he does more I.M. writing crap, with an easy to catch typo, and lack of
commas.
Now, let's look at content. He sees the prices, and finds even homebuilt
designs are too much money, not realizing that the price of the kit is only
half of the cost.

Let's be honest. How many people in GA are flying, earning minimum wages?
None? Not many, if any. This is an expensive hobby. Anyone with half of a
brain would quickly figure that out. Not *our* rocket scientist. I
suggested that he was not smart and should get education to get a job above
minimum wage. Good advise, even for people not interested in flying.
People living on minimum wage, are living below the poverty line. There is
no money left for RC planes, and *no* chance of flying full scale, and less
chance of owning.

OP found the affordaplane and legal eagle.

The affordaplane is vaporware, and the Legal Eagle is the most realistic
thing he mentioned.

OP went back to a spruce aircraft catalog and looked in there, saw plans
for
OP the breezy......

OP now the breezy appeals to me. it looks possible to modify, easy to
build,
OP and can be used with a number of different airfoils (whol wind assy's
OP actually)

More I.M. crap. "whol wind assy's" ???? Modify the Breezy, it looks easy
to do, huh?
Easy to build? Not! Perhaps the most welding to do, of any kit or plans
built airplane. Does he have a shop? Does he know how to gas weld? Does
he have enough money to even buy the tube? Does he realize the fact that
it will take a real airplane engine, that will cost more than the whole
Legal Eagle? Most likely, no to all of the questions.

Now he suggests using different airfoils, different wings. A person of his
limited knowledge would be a good candidate for the Darwin Award, if they
were to try messing around with that set of variables.

OP anyone build one?

First good question he has asked, but still, he has not found the shift key.

So yes, I am guilty of being a smarts, and of being rude. I am only slightly
sorry for that.

I hope I sent him a wakeup call, to 1) converse (type) like an adult on an
adult group 2) be realistic about your goals, and what it will take to
achieve them 3) be aware of your abilities, and operate within your
abilities 4) learn to listen and be patient, while learning a new subject
area, so you do not embarrass yourself when you open your mouth 5) while in
newsgroups, it is best to not appear as though you are a troll, because if
not me, someone will flame you for it 6) grow a thick skin in newsgroups,
or you will not last very long.

There it is. That is about all I can say about the subject.

Have a nice day.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 23rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Plane"? I have 19 . Anytime you want to take a look or get a ride in a
Pitts, Sukhoi or an Extra the # is 206 350 ACRO.