1,633 km (1,015 sm) Sierra Wave Flight

Old March 30th 04, 12:16 AM
Kizuno

Default 1,633 km (1,015 sm) Sierra Wave Flight

Last Thursday, March 25, the Sierra wave was in prime form. I took off from
the Minden, Nevada airport at 6:46am in my ASH-26E and flew a Free 3 TP task
landing at California City at 5:03pm for an estimated distance of 1,633 km.
This flight was similar to my SOARING magazine article of last year except this
year I started earlier and was able to extend all legs. The first turn was at
Frenchman's Lake (north of Reno), the second turn was near Dunmovin (just North
of Inyokern) and the last turn was near Herlong. The record claim will be for
the US National Motorglider 3 TP distance.

From my limited experience with the Sierra wave, that Thursday was one of the
best, well marked days I'd seen.* The winds at altitude were modest (35 to 65
knots). There was some difficulty at the start as the wave was not marked in
the valley on launch, but showed up soon thereafter. From then on, lennies or
rotor clouds were present most of the way, so there were few slow spots. Even
the north bound transition from Bishop to Mono Lake was done at top speed.
Like most US wave cross country flight, I operated with an 18,000 ft. ceiling.
The best part is just the experience of zooming along for hours at 110knots
indicated with the incredible cloudscapes and Sierras in view.* Magnificent.

The flight trace will be public soon along with a full write up and lots of
pictures.

Kemp
9J
Old March 30th 04, 01:29 AM
JJ Sinclair

Congratulations Kempton,
That has to be the longest flight ever recorded on the west coast,
Good-on-you, BTW we are having an 18 meter class at the Minden Regionals, June
7 -11. Come on up and show us how its done. I see Parowan has gone over 80
pilots fighting over 50 slots, the 30 that ain't going to get in are welcome at
Minden and we ain't got no reverse seeding, because we ain't got no sports
class.
JJ Sinclair
Old March 30th 04, 05:08 AM
Steve Pawling

Fantastic flight Kempton! Too bad you didn't take off in CA. Remember
to also submit your claim to Doug Donohue the NV record keeper.

So, while you were soaring the wave, I was looking at it out of my
office window, unable to take the day off because I had just returned
from vacation. Where's the wave on the weekend when you need it!

All the best,
Steve
CA record keeper

(Kizuno) wrote in message ...
Last Thursday, March 25, the Sierra wave was in prime form. I took off from
the Minden, Nevada airport at 6:46am in my ASH-26E and flew a Free 3 TP task
landing at California City at 5:03pm for an estimated distance of 1,633 km.
This flight was similar to my SOARING magazine article of last year except this
year I started earlier and was able to extend all legs. The first turn was at
Frenchman's Lake (north of Reno), the second turn was near Dunmovin (just North
of Inyokern) and the last turn was near Herlong. The record claim will be for
the US National Motorglider 3 TP distance.

From my limited experience with the Sierra wave, that Thursday was one of the

Old March 30th 04, 03:00 PM
Gary Evans

Way to go Kemp!! Would you call me the next time it
looks that good?

(Kizuno) wrote in message news:...
Last Thursday, March 25, the Sierra wave was in prime
form. I took off from
the Minden, Nevada airport at 6:46am in my ASH-26E
and flew a Free 3 TP task
landing at California City at 5:03pm for an estimated
distance of 1,633 km.
This flight was similar to my SOARING magazine article
of last year except this
year I started earlier and was able to extend all
legs. The first turn was at
Frenchman's Lake (north of Reno), the second turn
was near Dunmovin (just North
of Inyokern) and the last turn was near Herlong.
The record claim will be for
the US National Motorglider 3 TP distance.

From my limited experience with the Sierra wave, that
Thursday was one of the
best, well marked days I'd seen.* The winds at altitude
were modest (35 to 65
knots). There was some difficulty at the start as
the wave was not marked in
the valley on launch, but showed up soon thereafter.
From then on, lennies or

Old March 30th 04, 03:52 PM
N5360C

Kemp: Great job! We're envious on the east coast. Look forward to
your full writeup. Fred
Old March 30th 04, 04:13 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Kempton,

Nice flight! I can't wait to see the flight log.

Paul Remde

"Gary Evans" wrote in message
[...]

From my limited experience with the Sierra wave, that
Thursday was one of the
best, well marked days I'd seen. The winds at altitude
were modest (35 to 65
knots). There was some difficulty at the start as
the wave was not marked in
the valley on launch, but showed up soon thereafter.
From then on, lennies or

Old March 30th 04, 04:23 PM
John Cochrane

Well done Kempton!

As it happens, I was driving my kids from a ski trip at Mammoth back
to LA on thursday afternoon. The wave, rotor clouds, and rising dust
through the Owens valley last thursday were about the most awesome
aerial sight I've seen. Thick cumulus-shaped rotor clouds capped by
wave going way, way up, extending from Inyokern north as far as I
could see. Of course, being a rube from Chicago, I figured it's always
that way!

John Cochrane