Why would someone choose to fly VFR on top?

Old October 12th 05, 05:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

For a non-IFR rated pilot, if departure and arrival airports are clear, they
can overfly a large area that is overcast/below minimums.

Opps, we're talking about U.S. "VFR on top" which requires a current
instrument rating and instrument able aircraft. You are speaking of the
Candian VFR-on-top rating, which is quite different.

Old October 12th 05, 09:35 PM
Robert M. Gary

So an American PPL (no IR) cannot fly "VFR" above an overcast layer?

In the U.S. "VFR on Top" has a VERY special meaning (in fact its not
really VFR and not necessarily "on top"). "VFR on Top" is a specific
ATC clearance. Flying over an overcast would be VFR that happens to
just be on top of an overcast

-Robert, CFI

Old October 13th 05, 03:42 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter" wrote in message

So an American PPL (no IR) cannot fly "VFR" above an overcast layer?

Yes, but that is not VFR-on-Top.

Old October 13th 05, 05:39 AM
Jose

So an American PPL (no IR) cannot fly "VFR" above an overcast layer?

Yes, but that is not VFR-on-Top.

To clarify, yes he can fly VFR above an overcast layer, but doing so is
not called "VFR on top", rather, it is called "VFR over the top".

Confusing terminology - think
"VFR =on= top, your (IFR) clearance is ON"
"VFR =over= the top, your (IFR) clearance is OVER"

Jose
Old October 13th 05, 06:00 AM
Robert M. Gary

Confusing terminology

Yep, kinda like PIC. On one hand it relates to logging time, on the
other it relates to responsiblity of the aircraft, but the two have
very little to do with each other. I guess the FAA thought they were
running out of words.

-Robert

Old October 24th 05, 01:36 AM
Andrew Gideon

Default Why would someone choose to fly VFR on top?

Bob Gardner wrote:

Example: I know (or strongly suspect) that the tops at at 6000. I call
Ground and tell them that I want an IFR clearance to VFR-on-top. No flight
plan filed. Ground says "Whizbang 1234X is cleared to (nearby VOR), climb
and maintain 7000, if not on top at 7000 advise. Squawk 3456." Great time
saver.

What happens if there's a comm failure and you're wrong about the tops? Of
course, this is a general question about any clearance limit that's not an
airport or certainly VFR.

- Andrew

Old October 24th 05, 03:55 AM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:

Example: I know (or strongly suspect) that the tops at at 6000. I call
Ground and tell them that I want an IFR clearance to VFR-on-top. No flight
plan filed. Ground says "Whizbang 1234X is cleared to (nearby VOR), climb
and maintain 7000, if not on top at 7000 advise. Squawk 3456." Great time
saver.

What happens if there's a comm failure and you're wrong about the tops? Of
course, this is a general question about any clearance limit that's not an
airport or certainly VFR.

First off he doesn't want VFR on top but rather an IFR climb to VFR.
VFR on Top is an IFR clearance. As to your question you would handle it
like any opther lost comm, that's why you were cleared to a point,
that's the point you will go to and then pick an approach and land, and
because there's no filed clearance you go right to the VOR and then
directly to whatever approach you want.
Old October 24th 05, 05:32 PM
Andrew Gideon

Newps wrote:

AsÂ*toÂ*yourÂ*questionÂ*youÂ*wouldÂ*handleÂ*it
like any opther lost comm, that's why you were cleared to a point,
that's the point you will go to and then pick an approach and land, and
because there's no filed clearance you go right to the VOR and then
directly to whatever approach you want.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the VOR not near the destination
airport.

If a clearance is to an airport, I understand the "pick an
approach" ...um... approach. But it's when the clearance limit is to a
waypoint that's not an airport (ie. some VOR somewhere) that leaves me
puzzled. Recall that there's no specification within "the system" as to
the final destination in that case.

Obviously, the first/best course is to maintain VFR. But if the VOR (at the
assigned altitude) is not VMC (despite the expectation/hope that led to the
request), then what?

- Andrew

Old October 24th 05, 06:57 PM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Newps wrote:

As to your question you would handle it
like any opther lost comm, that's why you were cleared to a point,
that's the point you will go to and then pick an approach and land, and
because there's no filed clearance you go right to the VOR and then
directly to whatever approach you want.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the VOR not near the destination
airport.

In his particular example the VOR is very close, certainly in approach
controls airspace.

If a clearance is to an airport, I understand the "pick an
approach" ...um... approach. But it's when the clearance limit is to a
waypoint that's not an airport (ie. some VOR somewhere) that leaves me
puzzled. Recall that there's no specification within "the system" as to
the final destination in that case.

Obviously, the first/best course is to maintain VFR. But if the VOR (at the
assigned altitude) is not VMC (despite the expectation/hope that led to the
request), then what?

Pick an approach and land. And do it now, we are holding up everybody
else while you figure out what to do.

Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Owning 67 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 66 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Tent Buying Guide (long, print it out) john smith Piloting 24 August 5th 05 06:12 PM
Czech body recommends gvt choose Gripen fighter Karl Military Aviation 0 December 1st 03 08:36 PM
Bush's Trip: 747 or C-17 Which would you Choose? Leadfoot Military Aviation 38 November 30th 03 04:03 PM