EAA Hops and Props - OSH

Old May 16th 05, 04:22 PM
Jim Burns

Default EAA Hops and Props - OSH

Well, we survived. Didn't get drunk. Didn't fly any airplanes after our
beer. Didn't crash our car on the way home. Only a data point of 1, but
maybe pilots really can get close to airplanes while drinking alcohol
without becoming statistics!

Saturday evening my wife and I attended the EAA Hops and Props Fundraiser at
the EAA Museum at OSH.

24 breweries with over 100 different beers to offer. Great music provided
by some good local bands, the best being Pandora's Groove, awesome steel
drum band.

The beer, as expected, ranged from some very good examples of local
brewmasters finest to some absolutely awful bath tub brews not meant for
human consumption. My wife and I both quickly learned that we are NOT fans
of the ales, always favoring the more full flavored lagers and occasionally
imbibing in a stout.

The brewmasters and representatives were courteous, informative, and
helpful, often heard referring attendees to their competition in an attempt
to please the typical "non-connoisseur", and we heard several people asking
for the Budweiser or Miller table.

The best part of the event was the ability to roam the entire EAA Museum,
beer in hand, reviewing the great planes and displays while also snacking on
the hordevours placed liberally about the museum. As the evening wore on,
the Young Eagle display took on a playground appearance to several "hoppy
and happy" attendees who amused themselves and others with the educational
hands on displays. The infra-red camera and wide screen display was
surprisingly popular with the ladies. The only thing that was off limits,
for obvious reasons, was the full motion simulator ride.

All in all a pretty fun night. Would I do it again? Probably.

Jim

Old May 16th 05, 04:28 PM
Jay Honeck

The beer, as expected, ranged from some very good examples of local
brewmasters finest to some absolutely awful bath tub brews not meant

for
human consumption. My wife and I both quickly learned that we are

NOT fans
of the ales, always favoring the more full flavored lagers and

occasionally
imbibing in a stout.

I've found that within 30 minutes of the start of a beer tasting, I am
no longer able to distinguish the finer points of flavoring. Shoot,
after an hour, I'm barely able to discern stout from ale.

But it's fun, nonetheless!

we heard several people asking
for the Budweiser or Miller table.

I trust you summarily turned these cretins away?

;-)

All in all a pretty fun night. Would I do it again? Probably.

Is this going to be an annual event? If so, I'll start planning for
next year!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 05, 04:55 PM
Jim Burns

I've found that within 30 minutes of the start of a beer tasting, I am
no longer able to distinguish the finer points of flavoring. Shoot,
after an hour, I'm barely able to discern stout from ale.

But it's fun, nonetheless!

They offered water to cleanse your palate and to rinse your glass, but I
wasn't looking for the finer points of flavoring, just the answer to the
broad question of whether I liked it or not. I'm slightly allergic to beer,
after the first couple my head and nose become pretty stuffy and I can't
smell or taste very well. But, as you say, fun nonetheless!

we heard several people asking
for the Budweiser or Miller table.

I trust you summarily turned these cretins away?

A-B had a table touting their official beer of the World Poker Tour, AB
Select or some nonsense... it's a pretty fair beer though I wouldn't go out
of my way for it or pay a premium, 1st time I've ever run across it. They
also were pushing their Red Rock brands... I didn't sample any of those.

Point was there in force, but those that have grown up close to this brewery
are strongly either of the love it or hate it camp. After sampling several
of their varieties, I'm even more staunchly placed in the "tastes like
skunk - hate it camp".

Is this going to be an annual event? If so, I'll start planning for
next year!

Good question, but I'm sorry I don't have the answer.

Jim

Old May 16th 05, 06:34 PM
Steve Foley

I'm also slightly allergic to beer. After the first couple, I get dizzy. If
I get too much, I may throw up.