Bounced landing recovery?

Old April 26th 05, 06:34 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

Did I get hooked ...or just noodled?

Nah, not really. I was looking for someone to have a bunch of BS to say.
But in a way, this link covers it! :-)

I guess in a way, that is what I was doing. No way, though! I've met you,
and you aren't half of some of those fish!

http://petesbait.com/articles/noodling.php

Damn, *that* is some fishin' !
--
Jim in NC

Old April 26th 05, 09:19 AM
Cub Driver

I knew that, but I was fishin'! I thought someone might pipe up on how
bigger tires cause less drag, and you reach the ground sooner than expected,
and ...yada,yada,yada. Come'on, Montbwack! Get with the program!
(vbg)

Well, they weigh more!

I'm told that tundra tires take a bit of spooling up, and that they
have sufficient mass to launch a Super Cub or Husky back into the air.
It's called slingshotting.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 26th 05, 09:21 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 03:05:36 GMT, "Ed" wrote:

For a really fun bounce, nothing quite compares with your first few wheel
landings when you're getting your TW endorsement. I'm in the market for a
Pitts. I'm looking forward to learning to fly it, but not looking forward
to learning to land it

We had a Pitts at Hampton airfield, but he rented a hangar somewhere
else and decamped. It seems that his paint job cost more than most
small airplanes, and he didn't want to ding it with pebbles and mud.

Old June 13th 12, 02:29 PM
Nukemjoe Nukemjoe is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Luke View Post
"Guy Elden Jr" wrote:
I totally agree... my problem is due more to fear of stalling I think,
even though I know from experience that the plane will not stall at 65,
60, even 55 kias.

Not technically correct, but I know what you mean.

Well, you'll just have to get over it if you want consistently good landings.
Concentrate on getting that short approach speed right and everything else
will start to work a whole lot better.

As for the flare, don't think about it. Rather, as the plane settles,
concentrate on keeping the wheels off the runway. Prevent the airplane from
touching down as long as you can by pulling the yoke back. Don't let the
stall horn scare you--it's supposed to blow if you're doing this right--just
keep easing the nose up until the mains touch. Keep the yoke back as you
roll out. There, you did it!
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

I've got kind of the same issue - coming in too hot and have an innate fear of the super sink.
NukenJoe