VOR Alpha into KMBO Approach with plate overlays and ATC COMS - Video

Old November 13th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default VOR Alpha into KMBO Approach with plate overlays and ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHOqX4sHkI

I post this as I hope others can learn from my mistakes. Comments
here or on the video most appreciated.

I kinda got RIGHTFULLY chewed out by ATC today while doing the VOR
Alpha approach. I mistook an instruction by the controller as a
clearance.

Couple of things.

Human error obviously, and this is the first time this has happened to
me. Other then the simple not hearing correctly, was this really
preventable? I should have known by the lack of approach intercept
instructions that it wasn't a clearance but as you can see from the
communications, that escaped me since I was busy flying an airplane.

One question in my mind is on the second approach vectors to final, I
was never issued missed. Should I have been issued missed
instructions or does the canceled approach missed instructions still
stand?
Old November 15th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:
[...]

I don't want to watch your video, but since you say you were vectored
onto a second approach, that was the same VOR-A with its published
missed approach.

More training and understanding of fundamentals will help you a lot.
Old November 16th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Nov 14, 8:12*pm, Sam Spade wrote:

More training and understanding of fundamentals will help you a lot.

Not quite sure how you can make such an assessment without watching
the video?????

All the training in the world would not have prevented this Sam. In
seven years of flying IA, I have never botched an instruction this
bad. Video really does speak for itself.

Old November 16th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHOqX4sHkI
I kinda got RIGHTFULLY chewed out by ATC today while doing the VOR
Alpha approach. I mistook an instruction by the controller as a
clearance.

Yea, you mess up, but the controller's terminology is partly to blame. They should have said "practice
approach approved, maintain VFR" rather than "cleared VOR-A". Using the clearance language makes it
sound like you were really IFR, which is not the case. It's also interesting that there were two controller
voices, so maybe they had a trainee at the position, leading to the non-standard terminology.

Human error obviously, and this is the first time this has happened to
me. Other then the simple not hearing correctly, was this really
preventable? I should have known by the lack of approach intercept
instructions that it wasn't a clearance but as you can see from the
communications, that escaped me since I was busy flying an airplane.

Yes, they said maintain 340, vectors for the approach, but they didn't say cleared, or practice approach
approved, so you shouldn't have turned inbound. Did you have a safety pilot on board, or were you just
doing this on your own? As a safety pilot, I would have spoken up if I caught the error.

One question in my mind is on the second approach vectors to final, I
was never issued missed. Should I have been issued missed
instructions or does the canceled approach missed instructions still
stand?

I'm not sure, but I think in a practice approach environment, you're not necessarily approved for the
published missed. I think you have to just go with their instructions in that case.

(All in all, a fairly mild chewing out. He didn't even give you a phone number to call, and just asked what
you wanted to do next. Everybody is so laid back in your neck of the woods. Must be that southern
hospitality!)

Mike
Old November 16th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

Mike Adams wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think in a practice approach environment, you're
not necessarily approved for the published missed. I think you have to
just go with their instructions in that case.

I confirmed my understanding. From AIM section 4-3-21 e:

e. VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches are not automatically authorized to execute the missed
approach procedure. This authorization must be specifically requested by the pilot and approved by the
controller. Separation will not be provided unless the missed approach has been approved by ATC.

Mike

Old November 16th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Nov 15, 8:11*pm, Mike Adams wrote:

Yes, they said maintain 340, vectors for the approach, but they didn't say cleared, or practice approach
approved, so you shouldn't have turned inbound. Did you have a safety pilot on board, or were you just
doing this on your own? As a safety pilot, I would have spoken up *if I caught the error.

Thanks for this feedback Mike,

No safety, focus was to video this approach with focus on how I run my
ship doing approaches (I will be uploading tomorrow) and keep my eyes
outside.

KJAN never uses the word practice in all my experiences with them. I
think, like you, it may have been a trainee but her phraseology was
typical of any other approach controller. Just plain dropped the ball
on my part hearing the word "vectors for the approach" as "cleared for
the approach" and I shouldn't have turned inbound.

Turning me toward the final approach course (340 heading) may have
been the seed making me think I was cleared for the approach. Dunno
for sure.

I'm not sure, but I think in a practice approach environment, you're not necessarily approved for the
published missed. I think you have to just go with their instructions in that case.

Thanks for posting the AIM. Interestingly enough, I didn't realize
there was a distinct difference between climbout and missed until this
incident! I had assumed absent of doing the published missed,
climbout instructions would be missed instructions.

(All in all, a fairly mild chewing out. He didn't even give you a phone number to call, and just asked what
you wanted to do next. Everybody is so laid back in your neck of the woods. Must be that southern
hospitality!)

I believe you are right on that southern hospitality part :-)

Needless to say, got back in the saddle today and did an IFR XC from
KMBO to KMEI and didn't munge any instructions today.
Old November 16th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ross

wrote:
[...]

Don't feel that you are the only one to make a mistake. I replied
"cleared for VORXX to K***" and the controller came back "NO, NO, NO, I
said expect the VORXXX? I apologized.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old November 16th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Nov 16, 11:13*am, Ross wrote:

Don't feel that you are the only one to make a mistake. I replied
"cleared for VORXX to K***" and the controller came back "NO, NO, NO, I
said expect the VORXXX? I apologized.

I kinda wished it would have happened that way for me Ross. Then that
would have prevented the potential traffic conflict I could have
created by my inbound turn.

I think (I hope) that the point of posting this is that no matter how
careful we try to be, things happen by virtual of human nature. Just
as I thought I heard the word cleared, the controller could have
thought she (and he) heard the expect from me. (of course this is
conjector on my part what the controller's thinking).
Old November 17th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

VOR Alpha Approach - Video with ATC COMS

The way "it should have happened"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tm51_7LQfs

Looking for comments on how I can improve on running my shop doing a
full procedure ground based approach (or any approach for that
matter).

Video includes my briefing, and navigation of a procedure turn
including situational awareness overlays on the approach charts.
Approach charts display in the video before I execute the turns.

Comments here or on the video most appreciated!