Flying through rain

Old November 12th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Some Other Guy

Default Flying through rain

What really does change when you fly something like a Skyhawk through
thick rain?

I just do sims, and all that happens there is a lot of noise and pretty
raindrop smears on the the windshield but the performance seems unchanged.

What happens in real life?

Old November 12th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Some Other Guy wrote:
What really does change when you fly something like a Skyhawk through
thick rain?

I just do sims, and all that happens there is a lot of noise and pretty
raindrop smears on the the windshield but the performance seems unchanged.

What happens in real life?

About the same thing that happens when you drive fast in thick rain without
windshield wipers except you don't have to worry about hydroplaning until
you land.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old November 12th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

Some Other Guy wrote:
What really does change when you fly something like a Skyhawk through
thick rain?

I just do sims, and all that happens there is a lot of noise and pretty
raindrop smears on the the windshield but the performance seems unchanged.

What happens in real life?

depends upon how well you polished the canopy

Old November 13th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
george152 wrote:

Some Other Guy wrote:
What really does change when you fly something like a Skyhawk through
thick rain?

I just do sims, and all that happens there is a lot of noise and pretty
raindrop smears on the the windshield but the performance seems unchanged.

What happens in real life?

depends upon how well you polished the canopy

Another effect happens with laminar-flow wings. You slow down! I had
this happen with a 180 HP Comanche, flying through light rain. I lost
about 5MPH IAS in the rain and gained it back when I flew out of the
rain.

Another effect has happened to some of the Rutan Eze designs.The rain so
disrupted the flow over the canard stabilizer taht it lost
effectiveness, causing a dive.

Another effect is that rain will destroy a wood prop, if it doesn't ahve
leading edge armor.

Yet another effect is that rain will strip away the leading edge paint
-- even the modern polyurethanes. The old enamels and lacquers would
really strip away! When I started flying 50 years ago, I would see
Bonanzas land with whole sheets of paint missing from their leading
edges.
Old November 13th 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"Some Other Guy" wrote in message
What really does change when you fly something like a Skyhawk through
thick rain?

As a VFR Skyhawk pilot, my biggest concern with rain is loss of visibility.
Second concern, especially in the pattern, is whatever wind changes accompany
the rain.

Vaughn

Old November 14th 11, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:48:26 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Yet another effect is that rain will strip away the leading edge paint
-- even the modern polyurethanes. The old enamels and lacquers would
really strip away! When I started flying 50 years ago, I would see
Bonanzas land with whole sheets of paint missing from their leading
edges.

I wouldn't believe this had I not seen it for myself. Bizarre...and
really damned annoying in terms of cost.

- Andrew
Old June 16th 15, 03:42 AM
kowel pazanjian kowel pazanjian is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Thumbs up

It doesn't affect you any more than it would your car