New on-line instrument approach plate service

Old January 4th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default New on-line instrument approach plate service

I am pleased to announce the beta launch of a new on-line instrument
approach plate service at http://siap.awun.net/

This service collects all the plates you need for a trip into a single
PDF file. Try it out and let me know if you think it's useful.
(There's a feedback form at the end.) The service is, for the moment,
free of charge.

rg
Old January 4th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

http://siap.awun.net/

Why does the site require cookies?
Old January 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

It looks like a session ID cookie. It's not persistent across browser
restart. Very common when the web application is written using many
widely used framework.

-M

Old January 4th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article . com,
"M" wrote:

It looks like a session ID cookie.

That's right, it's just a session ID. At the moment I'm using it for
traffic monitoring so I can tell how many unique visitors I have to the
site. That in turn will help me figure out if I can make the thing
self-sustaining. I don't need to make a profit on it, but I do need to
make enough to cover the bandwidth costs. Approach plates are pretty
big documents.

It's not persistent across browser
restart. Very common when the web application is written using many
widely used framework.

That's true, but in this case the site is written using a framework I
developed myself. The idea is to some day support advanced features
that require login accounts, like having the site keep track of which
plates you've already downloaded so that you can ask for all the plates
that have changed since the last time you downloaded them. The
infrastructure for creating and managing accounts is all there, just not
being used at the moment.

Just FYI,
rg
Old January 4th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ron Garret wrote:

The service is, for the moment, free of charge.

So we can expect something similar to the $100 hamburger site?
Just kidding. Don't ban me.

Ron Lee

Old January 4th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Would it be easier for you to gather the charts from the AOPA site and
combine the PDF, that way you don't need to host the actual files. I go
to the AOPA site, download the .zip file and then use a PDF merge tool
to merge the charts into one PDF, then I can print them two to a page.

-Robert

Old January 4th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Would it be easier for you to gather the charts from the AOPA site and
combine the PDF, that way you don't need to host the actual files. I
go to the AOPA site, download the .zip file and then use a PDF merge
tool to merge the charts into one PDF, then I can print them two to a
page.

Then it sounds like you won't be needing Ron's service since that's what
he's essentially offering.

Hosting the files themselves is cheap. It's paying the hosting provider for
the bandwidth that can get expensive.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 5th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
"John T" wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Would it be easier for you to gather the charts from the AOPA site and
combine the PDF, that way you don't need to host the actual files. I
go to the AOPA site, download the .zip file and then use a PDF merge
tool to merge the charts into one PDF, then I can print them two to a
page.

Then it sounds like you won't be needing Ron's service since that's what
he's essentially offering.

Hosting the files themselves is cheap. It's paying the hosting provider for
the bandwidth that can get expensive.

Exactly. All the approach plates together take up only a couple of GB,
which is nothing by today's standards. But the resulting composite
files are huge (tens to hundreds of MB) so the service has to be hosted
at a real data center or it will be slower than molasses in February
(although I see that AOPA seems to have managed to compress the original
plates. I'll have to figure out how they did that.)

As for printing them two to a page, most printer drivers will let you do
that with any multi-page document. Is anyone having trouble printing
two to a page?

rg
Old January 5th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The only trick to printed two to a page was to merge the PDFs. I don't
know how to print two to a page when the two are in different PDFs.
However, any off the shelf PDF merger seems to solve that problem (did
for me).

-Robert