homemade external/internal antenna for handheld.

Old December 21st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

Default homemade external/internal antenna for handheld.

("RST Engineering" wrote)
1. With a standard handheld, what would the average length be (approx)
for the rod(s)?

It is a function of rod diameter. With an infinitely small diameter wire,
the length for each rod would be about 23.2" for a geometric (*) band
center of 127 MHz. With a half-inch diameter rod, that would reduce to
20.2 and in between is in between. (*) The geometric center of the band
is the square root of the (bottom end of the band times the top end of the
band).

Thanks for the answers.

Montblack

Old March 20th 08, 09:38 PM
venuko venuko is offline
Junior Member

I wonder if I could take a SO-239 to BNC male adapter, solder the coat hanger rod into the SA-239 and use the setup instead of the rubber ducky antenna on my Icom A23. Will it work?

Thanks a bunch,

Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ammeter View Post

This antenna is easy to construct, is very
cheap (mine cost coax only, as I had everything in my junk box) and
works well for me. It consists of 4 parts: a length of RG-58 coax
cable, one SO-239 coax connector, one PL-259 coax connector and one coat
hanger. The coax and connectors are available from your local Radio
Shack and you can raid the hall closet for the hanger!

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Homemade Antenna Carl J. Hixon Home Built 2 October 27th 04 08:54 AM
ELT antenna -- Pitts Al MacDonald Home Built 0 July 15th 04 03:27 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
comm's RX antenna acepilot Home Built 5 March 3rd 04 05:34 PM