subaru diesel

Old March 23rd 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

Default subaru diesel

Bill Daniels wrote:

The Subaru oil burner looks good but then so does the DeltaHawk and
the little opposed piston aircraft diesels from the UK.

Not really as good as someone think... It's too heavy (178kg, 400lb).

I prefer a true airplane engine like WAM120 or WAM160
http://www.wilksch.com/

They shipped some 120Hp 3 cylinder engines, but I don' know if they
shipped any 160HP 4 cylinder engines.

Both engines will work fine in a RV9...

At this time, the WAM creator will be hired by Continental...
Is WAM engines will be certified and continetal branded?

About diesel mania, remember the avgas cost is twice the diesel cost
in Europe; 100LL cost more than $10 one gallon.

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 23rd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Torque curve page 6

http://www.subaru.fr/special/pdf/doc...esel_lo_08.pdf

Holy crap! That thing has the peak torque, and it is almost a level
line, from about 1600 rpm to about 2400 rpm!

That sucker should really pull a big prop, and well!

Like I said!

At 2400 rpm, you only got 90KW or 120Hp, not enough for a 400lb
engine.

Remember: power matter for flight.....

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 23rd 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

wrote in message ...
On Mar 22, 9:33 pm, "Dale Scroggins"
wrote:
"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Philippe Vessaire" wrote in message
Hello

Torque curve page 6

http://www.subaru.fr/special/pdf/doc...esel_lo_08.pdf

Holy crap! That thing has the peak torque, and it is almost a level
line, from about 1600 rpm to about 2400 rpm!

That sucker should really pull a big prop, and well!
--
Jim in NC

Is the price of diesel fuel 25% above gasoline prices everywhere?
Jet A costs the same as 100LL now also, so what is the benefit?

SNIP
2. No ignition system needed.

Not to be a ball-buster, but the injection systems for the new
generation of diesels is incredibly fancy. From a risk analysis
standpoint, it is hard to say whether this system in place of magnetos
is a gain or a loss.

3. Turbocharging a diesel is a win-win proposition. EGT is lower, so turbo
system parts last as long as the engine, usually. Turbocharging improves
both performance and fuel efficiency (not always true for gassers).

True, but boost levels in diesels inversely effect their reputation
for reliability.

SNIP

8. I can make biodiesel for 67 cents a gallon. You or I can buy off-road
diesel or heating oil for much less than either auto gas, avgas or jet A.

Biodiesel gels at a higher temp than does winter diesel, and be damned
sure you have no rubber in the fuel system. And the 67 cents is
quoted for recycled oil. Not my first pick at altitude.

9. For a given trip, less fuel is needed, both in volume and weight. 25%
to 35%, depending on the trip profile. If the diesel is turbocharged and
gasser is not, the diesel's ability to cruise significantly higher may
result in a bigger efficiency spread.

This is dependent on tuning the boost map, and whether the blower is
big enough. Off the shelf this may or may not be true. I have not read
flight tests for any new European diesels which have been impressive
in high altitude performance. I doubt this is because of any
fundemental flaws, but rather performance tuning.

10. Props are more efficient at lower RPMs, usually. Diesels have torque
to turn props slow in cruise, like a turboprop (1800-1900 RPM), giving maybe
another 5% efficiency gain, and a quieter cabin to boot.

Given time, I can think of more. Please note that gas engines were
abandoned decades, nay, scores of years ago in other transportation sectors.
It will be the same in aviation if the weight difference shrinks enough.

DS

I dig your enthusiasm. Please post if you hear of any new diesel/
biodiesel aviation projects. I would be interested in reading any
related results. I believe that the new generation of diesels are the
long term solution for keeping GA operating costs down. But it will
take a while.

-Matt

Why any sort of reciprocating engine?...small turboprops would be the best solution of they can get the mass fuel flow
problems resolved...

Old March 23rd 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Dale Scroggins" wrote

The SmartCar aluminum diesel engine and the Toyota Yaris engine (Europe,
aluminum diesel) might be good candidates for small aircraft. However,
this Subaru seems to be an ideal candidate since its power and weight
specs fit so many available airframes. PRSUs are also available. I
suspect we will see these engines installed fairly quickly in European
experimentals.

No need for a PSRU. The torque band makes it perfect for direct drive.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 23rd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:31:29 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Dale Scroggins" wrote

The SmartCar aluminum diesel engine and the Toyota Yaris engine (Europe,
aluminum diesel) might be good candidates for small aircraft. However,
this Subaru seems to be an ideal candidate since its power and weight
specs fit so many available airframes. PRSUs are also available. I
suspect we will see these engines installed fairly quickly in European
experimentals.

No need for a PSRU. The torque band makes it perfect for direct drive.

And the weight is not necessarily a killer. Likely a lot that can be
removed from the automotive application - and there have been many
heavier, lower powered engines thoughout aviation history.

Think Model "A" Ford. 28 HP and 200+ pounds. Lots of others too.

Old March 24th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message

1. Most diesels wear more slowly than gas engines. The fuel is a better
lubricant than gasoline is, and the combustion products are a bit more
benign.

Except, of course, for the particulates. Particulates are hell on bearings,
and lungs, and...
NOx tends to run higher and isn't usually clasified as "benign"

5. Automatic mixture control.

"mixture control is irrelevent" would be a more accurate statement.

7. Lower fire risks.

Not really.

10. Props are more efficient at lower RPMs, usually. Diesels have torque
to turn props slow in cruise, like a turboprop (1800-1900 RPM), giving
maybe another 5% efficiency gain, and a quieter cabin to boot.

Depends on how the engine was designed, not how the fuel is ignited.

Given time, I can think of more. Please note that gas engines were
abandoned decades, nay, scores of years ago in other transportation
sectors. It will be the same in aviation if the weight difference shrinks
enough.

Well, there's the problem, isn't it. Making a light weight diesel that will
last.

Note: I'm not suggesting that diesels are a bad idea - they do have there
advantages. But, let's not over sell...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 25th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dale Scroggins[_2_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message
news:N6adnXfOAtwpgHXanZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message

1. Most diesels wear more slowly than gas engines. The fuel is a better
lubricant than gasoline is, and the combustion products are a bit more
benign.

Except, of course, for the particulates. Particulates are hell on
bearings, and lungs, and...
NOx tends to run higher and isn't usually clasified as "benign"

The specific comparison I had in mind was a current-production piston
aircraft engine burning 100LL, compared to a current-production automotive
diesel engine. Given a choice of the lead compounds that collect within and
are emitted by the gasser, and the low levels of particulates deposited and
emitted by a current-production automotive diesel, I'd prefer the
particulates.

As to oxides of nitrogen, given that current production gas aviation engines
run with advanced ignition timing, have no EGR, and operate at elevated EGT
most of the time, I doubt a current production auto diesel would produce
more NOx, and would likely produce less. I'm open to numbers, if you have
them.

Again, my comparison was between current diesels and current gas aircraft
engines, not current automotive gas engines.

5. Automatic mixture control.

"mixture control is irrelevent" would be a more accurate statement.

For a turbodiesel, "automatic mixture control" is a more accurate statement.
Mixture control is quite relevent, and automatically managed.

7. Lower fire risks.

Not really.

Hmm. So the dozens of induction fires (some of which caused substantial
damage) that I've witnessed over the years are just as likely with a diesel
engine? And all the extra precautions we followed over the years when
fueling and defueling avgas (or mogas), compared to jetA, were a waste of
time?

10. Props are more efficient at lower RPMs, usually. Diesels have
torque to turn props slow in cruise, like a turboprop (1800-1900 RPM),
giving maybe another 5% efficiency gain, and a quieter cabin to boot.

Depends on how the engine was designed, not how the fuel is ignited.

Hmm again. So the burn characteristics of the fuel, the ability to inject
additional fuel after initiation of combustion, and the surplus of available
oxygen have no impact on engine torque curves?

Given time, I can think of more. Please note that gas engines were
abandoned decades, nay, scores of years ago in other transportation
sectors. It will be the same in aviation if the weight difference shrinks
enough.

Well, there's the problem, isn't it. Making a light weight diesel that
will last.

Note: I'm not suggesting that diesels are a bad idea - they do have there
advantages. But, let's not over sell...

Wasn't the prospect of a relatively light weight diesel available to
homebuilders the point of this thread? No one knows if Subaru's diesel will
match the durability of a current-production avgas engine. However, newer
diesel injection methods have helped reduce internal engine forces, so
durable, light diesel engines are on the horizon.

What do you see as the advantages of diesel aircraft engines?

DS

Old March 25th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dale Scroggins[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dale Scroggins" wrote

The SmartCar aluminum diesel engine and the Toyota Yaris engine (Europe,
aluminum diesel) might be good candidates for small aircraft. However,
this Subaru seems to be an ideal candidate since its power and weight
specs fit so many available airframes. PRSUs are also available. I
suspect we will see these engines installed fairly quickly in European
experimentals.

No need for a PSRU. The torque band makes it perfect for direct drive.
--
Jim in NC

It's going to need a starter; diesels are hard to hand prop. And the engine
is not likely designed to handle thrust and gyroscopic loads. So, because
of starter placement and need for a well-supported prop shaft, a nose-piece
casting with bearings and a prop shaft will be needed. Incorporating
reduction gearing (or belt) and a device to smooth power pulses wouldn't add
much additional weight.

The torque curve isn't flat to maximum power. If a fixed-pitch prop is
installed that is efficient at low RPM, the engine may not be able to make
take-off RPM without a bit of mechanical advantage - or variable pitch,
which leads back to the PSRU. Since Subaru is hinting that a 200 hp version
is on its way (giving even better hp/weight ratio), a variable pitch prop
should be considered.

DS

Old March 25th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Dale Scroggins" wrote

It's going to need a starter; diesels are hard to hand prop. And the
engine is not likely designed to handle thrust and gyroscopic loads.

Many auto engine cranks have done well with these loads, and no extra help.

So, because of starter placement

Alternate starter schemes may be developed, and might save weight.

and need for a well-supported prop shaft, a nose-piece casting with
bearings and a prop shaft will be needed.

Not a given, IMHO.

Incorporating reduction gearing (or belt) and a device to smooth power
pulses

Smoothing power pulses results in heating up the device, which means it is
robbing power and efficiency. Double or triple bad thing. Weight, power,
and reliability.

wouldn't add much additional weight.

I've heard that so many times, and it all adds up to an overweight airplane.

The torque curve isn't flat to maximum power.

True, but how much extra power will have to be made, to haul around the
extra weight?

If a fixed-pitch prop is installed that is efficient at low RPM, the engine
may not be able to make take-off RPM without a bit of mechanical
advantage - or variable pitch, which leads back to the PSRU.

PSRU's are HEAVY! Why add one, if it is not absolutely needed? Extra
weight has to be well justified, as does the possibility of extra components
causing possible extra failures. It is hard to imagine that hauling around
the extra weight could be justified, with a torque curve like that engine.
It would need to make a lot of extra HP to justify a PSRU, to me.

Since Subaru is hinting that a 200 hp version is on its way (giving even
better hp/weight ratio), a variable pitch prop
should be considered.

Why?

With conventional aircraft engines, they make best power and torque at up
around 2700 RPM. If you have to run too big of a prop to utilize 200 HP,
then you need constant speed to keep from breaking supersonic.

If you have an engine running best power (or close to it) and best torque at
23 or 24 hundred RPM, you can run a bigger prop, and keep the tips slow
enough, without the extra weight and complexity of constant speed props.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against PSRU's in all cases. I am against
extra weight and complexity when it is not absolutely necessary. I don't
think a clear case has been made, for this engine.

Wait until it is being used, and see how well it does, is my opinion. It
will let us know, by how it does after it has been eXperimented with, I
believe. You may be surprised. I might be, too. Until then, keep an open
mind.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 25th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

Morgans" wrote:

"Dale Scroggins" wrote

It's going to need a starter; diesels are hard to hand prop. And the
engine is not likely designed to handle thrust and gyroscopic loads.

Many auto engine cranks have done well with these loads, and no extra help.

Name 'em and define what you mean by 'no extra help'?

and need for a well-supported prop shaft, a nose-piece casting with
bearings and a prop shaft will be needed.

Not a given, IMHO.

YES.... 'a given' or something very close to one for safety sake.

Wait until it is being used, and see how well it does, is my opinion. It
will let us know, by how it does after it has been eXperimented with, I
believe. You may be surprised. I might be, too. Until then, keep an open
mind.

Aw phoof!

A promising answer or solution is always just around the corner.
In the meantime, I guess you can fly around in a baloon filled with
the hot air generated here!

- Barnyard BOb -