Medical delays

Old July 22nd 05, 05:23 PM
Guy Elden Jr

Default Medical delays

I just spoke with someone at AOPA about the status of my medical
appliation with the FAA, which unfortunately was deferred to Oklahoma
City when I went in for my 3rd class evaluation in March (2005). I can
understand why there is such a backlog right now due to staffing issues
and the fact that at least one of the staff physicians there was called
up to Iraq, but it's going on 4 months now since my exam, and still no
medical.

One thing I learned which I think is just downright hilarious is the
fact that when I do get my medical (and there is no reason I won't, the
condition I had to get deferred for is very common and benign), it will
be valid as of the date of the exam, not as of the date of issuance.
Now for me, being under 40, and only needing a 3rd class certificate,
it's not really a big deal. What about the airline captain who needs a
1st class certificate every 6 months, and gets deferred for the first
time for a similar benign condition? He's out at least 4 months because
our wonderful government can't appropriate money where it's needed, and
the sad thing is, that delay is only growing... pretty soon it'll be
possible to apply for a medical and receive a certificate in the mail
from the FAA which is invalid upon receipt!

It's ironic to me too the timing of those pilots in California getting
busted for lying on their medical applications, while I'm sitting here
on the ground patiently waiting for clearance to fly again.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:28 PM
George Patterson

Guy Elden Jr wrote:

What about the airline captain who needs a
1st class certificate every 6 months, and gets deferred for the first
time for a similar benign condition? He's out at least 4 months because
our wonderful government can't appropriate money where it's needed, and
the sad thing is, that delay is only growing... pretty soon it'll be
possible to apply for a medical and receive a certificate in the mail
from the FAA which is invalid upon receipt!

What'ya mean "pretty soon." It happens now.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 22nd 05, 10:02 PM
Ron Natalie

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
I just spoke with someone at AOPA about the status of my medical
appliation with the FAA, which unfortunately was deferred to Oklahoma
City when I went in for my 3rd class evaluation in March (2005). I can
understand why there is such a backlog right now due to staffing issues

I can't. It's been attrocious for years now. However, the rules are
different now (this change about 4 years ago). If you have a medical
and the condition, while requiring review, isn't too bad, you can get
your medical renewed pending the outcome of the FAA investigation.
Initial issuances however still go into the slushpile for eight weeks
before anybody even bothers to read them.
Old July 22nd 05, 10:17 PM
Bryan Mason

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
[...]

Been there . . . done that . . . (almost).

I'm a student pilot. I took my medical examination in July 2004 and
started flight training that August. I just got my third-class medical
on June 23 and it's valid until July 31. That gave me a little over
month to collect information from 2-3 doctors, submit it all to my AME,
and hope that it's good enough for him to cerify. Now that one of my
doctors is out on vacation untuil July 26 and that the other doctor
wants to do a test which can't be scheduled earlier than August 11, I'm
out of luck. The earliest I'll get my medical back is mid-August, and
that assumes that the AME can sign me off. If it has to go back to OK,
then I'm looking at November before I can solo again (round-trip with
the FAA has averaged about three months for me).

Really messes up my flight training, which was already messed up becuase
I had to wait 11 months to get my medical. Let's just say I've got a
lot of dual practice in the pattern.

Being a student pilot means learning lots of things, and the thing I
learned from this is next year, start 4 months early!n :^)

-- Bryan
Old July 23rd 05, 12:46 AM
Michelle P

First Class medicals get higher priority. At least that's what I have
seen. My came back in a matter of weeks not months.
Michelle

Old July 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
Jay Honeck

I can
understand why there is such a backlog right now due to staffing issues
and the fact that at least one of the staff physicians there was called
up to Iraq, but it's going on 4 months now since my exam, and still no
medical.

What you need to understand is that the FAA has been messed up (in this
regard) for many, many years. It has *nothing* to do with the War on
Terror, or the War in Iraq, or the "rush before Oshkosh" -- or any of the
dozens of other b.s. excuses I've heard for the last decade.

It has *everything* to do with the FAA being part of our bloated Federal
gubmint, with no one holding them accountable for job performance.

Good luck.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 23rd 05, 12:48 PM
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

It has *everything* to do with the FAA being part of our bloated Federal
gubmint, with no one holding them accountable for job performance.

And of course, it's needless bureaucracy for private pilots. A simple
statistical analysis shows it's a complete waste of time and effort.
There isn't a significant difference in accidents due to medical issues
between gliders (which don't require a medical) and powered aircraft.

Further, those who are going to fly with a significant impairment, are
as likely to lie about it on the history form which is by and large
undetectable by the current bureaucracy. I am aware of pilots who
are insulin-dependant diabetics, those taking anti-depressants, and
those with disabling headaches taking heavy amount of barbituate
pain-killers who all just "forgot" to mention those things on their
medical.
Old July 23rd 05, 03:10 PM
Guy Elden Jr

Ron Natalie wrote:
Further, those who are going to fly with a significant impairment, are
as likely to lie about it on the history form which is by and large
undetectable by the current bureaucracy. I am aware of pilots who

It seems to me that the medical application / issuance process itself
isn't enough of a deterrent for pilots - cheating can and does happen
on a regular basis. The big deterrent should really be the fact that
your insurance company will do everything they can to not pay out if an
accident occurs - and a falsified medical is a very good reason for
them to do this. Of course they have to find out it was falsified, but
I doubt that is very hard given the amount of data these companies
track every time you visit a doctor.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old July 27th 05, 04:57 PM
John Larson

This is exactly the reason I fly without a medical. It's become so
cumbersome, and pointless, when applied to a VFR weekend puddle jumper pilot
like
me that I would not be surprised if more guys were simply forgoing it.

In 40 plus years of flying, no one has ever asked to see my certificate let
alone a medical. As for the rest of it, BFR etc. it's all just a waste of
government time and effort.