Portable oxygen systems - recommendation sought

Old July 5th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW

Default Portable oxygen systems - recommendation sought

Hello,

I am planning on crossing the Rockies next week at 8,500 ft. from CYBW to
CZBB via CYKA on the VFR footprint. But, just in case, it would be nice to
have a portable oxygen system at hand.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Marc

Old July 5th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Marc CYBW wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on crossing the Rockies next week at 8,500 ft. from CYBW to
CZBB via CYKA on the VFR footprint. But, just in case, it would be nice to
have a portable oxygen system at hand.

I like my AirOx system. It has individual flow controls and meters so
each person can tune their own. I use mine extensively in my Mooney.
SkyOx has some less expensive units that are probably good for more
occasional use.

-Robert

Old July 7th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marc CYBW wrote:

I am planning on crossing the Rockies next week at 8,500 ft. from CYBW to
CZBB via CYKA on the VFR footprint. But, just in case, it would be nice to
have a portable oxygen system at hand.

Any recommendations?

Marc,

I was fortunate enough to borrow a Precise Flight portable O2 kit for
my recent trip around the US. It worked well up to 13,000 ft (I didn't
fly any higher). Very simple to use. One primary valve is open or
closed, then you have a flow meter that is calibrated in 1000s of ft. I
think it was a 22 cubic ft tank. I flew more then 50 hours on my trip,
probably 1/3 of the time on O2 and used about 80% of a full tank. I
have no expereince with other brands, but would recommend the Precise
flight system based on my experience.

Here is a pic of me wearing it
http://iperformax.com/flyabout/images/preciseflightrig.jpg
and a pointer to their website