The Most Expensive Ironing Boards in the World...

Old October 7th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Default The Most Expensive Ironing Boards in the World...

Jay,

After you overhauled your engine did you get a dynamic prop balance?

When accessories or their mounting brackets start cracking that's a good
place to start looking.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old October 7th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

After you overhauled your engine did you get a dynamic prop balance?

When accessories or their mounting brackets start cracking that's a good
place to start looking.

Interesting point. We *have* noticed some vibration in the yoke (most
visible on the yoke-mounted GPS) lately, and have discussed getting the
prop balanced (like we did on our old Warrior) -- but when IT started
leaking, we kind of put that on hold.

Now, of course, the prop has STOPPED leaking of its own accord, just to
**** me off...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
After you overhauled your engine did you get a dynamic prop balance?

When accessories or their mounting brackets start cracking that's a good
place to start looking.

Interesting point. We *have* noticed some vibration in the yoke (most
visible on the yoke-mounted GPS) lately, and have discussed getting the
prop balanced (like we did on our old Warrior) -- but when IT started
leaking, we kind of put that on hold.

Now, of course, the prop has STOPPED leaking of its own accord, just to
**** me off...

Sounds like it is time to have the prop balanced.

You got off easy, with a warning failure, in a good place, and a good time,
without jeopardizing your safety. Next time, who knows?

You usually don't get off so easy, the second time.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 9th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Jay,

I don't think I'll ever let a prop shop "overhaul" another prop, unless the
blades are in really bad shape.

The prop shops GRIND away huge amounts of blade and that's why one can never
get more than 3 overhauls on a blade. I need a re-seal right now on my prop.
I'm getting oil on the windshield. It is difficult to keep a BIG prop sealed
because of all the weight being slung around.

So......I just want to have the blades lightly sanded, forget the grinder.
There aren't any rock chips anyway and no peeling from float operations.
Re-seal, sand and paint. Only Pt.135 airplanes require a certified overhaul.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

ups.com...

Old October 9th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

You might want to spring for a dynamic balance. Smooths things out
which helps on wear and tear and makes the plane nicer to ride in as
well....

Old October 9th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

On 2006-10-06, Jay Honeck wrote:
"Is all that oil normal?"

Interestingly, we were only 1/2 quart down on the dipstick.

A little oil, when smeared over the side of the aircraft, goes a long
way. I once did a stupid pilot trick (was interrupted during my preflight and
forgot to replace the oil filler cap/dipstick on the C140!) and on
landing a short time later discovered what looked like a gallon of oil
coating the side and belly of the aircraft. However, not much had
actually been blown out the engine. Fortunately, the cap/dipstick was
still where this idiot had left it - on top of the engine!

Old October 9th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

Fortunately, the
cap/dipstick was still where this idiot had left it - on top of the
engine!

Fortunately, I have not done this, but this is one of my greatest
fears..... My way of reducing this is to never completely remove the
dipstick, just enough to see the level and put it right back on. The dip
stick on my Sundowner is not a screw on type, but the type you push it to
"click it" in place and put the pull handle in a flat position.

Whenever possible, I try to top off the oil after a flight, so it gives me
a second oppurtunity (subsequent pre-flight) to catch a mistake should I do
something like you describe above.

You must have a very well balanced prop for the dip stick not to shift in
flight sitting on top of your engine :-)

Allen
Old October 9th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
John Galban

Dylan Smith wrote:

A little oil, when smeared over the side of the aircraft, goes a long
way. I once did a stupid pilot trick (was interrupted during my preflight and
forgot to replace the oil filler cap/dipstick on the C140!) and on
landing a short time later discovered what looked like a gallon of oil
coating the side and belly of the aircraft. However, not much had
actually been blown out the engine. Fortunately, the cap/dipstick was
still where this idiot had left it - on top of the engine!

I did this on a Continetal powered 172. The dipstick was separate
from the oil filler neck (much bigger opening). I lost 2 quarts on a
3 hr. flight and the plane was covered from nose to tail and dripping
all over my tiedown. Like you, I opened the cowl and found the cap
right where I'd left it. Sitting on top of the battery box. It was
pretty embarrasing, as my IA had come out to see what happened after
seeing me taxi past.

A few years later (same plane) I landed in the middle of nowhere in
Nevada and the FBO lady came out and was excitedly pointing at my
plane. When I got out and saw oil all down the side, I couldn't
believe I'd done it again. As it turned out, I didn't. This time, the
entire oil filler neck had departed the engine somewhere over Idaho or
Nevada. It was press-fit into the engine and had come loose over the
decades. This time I lost 2 1/2 quarts and had to wait 3 days for the
part.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old October 11th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
Do you write for Reader's Digest? Because I have read worse titles and worse
stories in that mag. I wd think they would be grateful to publish -
brilliant! Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't measured -- is my story about the
length of time it takes for a "morning constitutional"? (That *is*
the standard story length for Reader's Digest, BTW...)

We have a bookcase in the aforementioned room. I don't have any books
in it. I think it's a guy thing (especially if She is WAITING for the
room)!

That's also why the Digest is the size it is. It's designed to fit
perfectly on the toilet tank lid.

(And I'm a life-long subscriber, BTW... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 11th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't measured -- is my story about the
length of time it takes for a "morning constitutional"? (That *is*
the standard story length for Reader's Digest, BTW...)

We have a bookcase in the aforementioned room. I don't have any books
in it. I think it's a guy thing (especially if She is WAITING for the
room)!

That's why we have three full bathroom/tubs/showers in a home occupied
by just four people.

(And each one has a good selection of reading material...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA