Magnetometer??

Old December 13th 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Magnetometer??

Super close, it's a Glastar sportsman. I didn't have the huh-huhs to do all
glass and plus the speed, the glasair gets there too darn fast. Alcohol
causes the reaction time to slow, so I picked a plane to cruise with....
I know what your going to say, but just stop and check the regs. It says no
drinking 8 hours prior, it doesn't say anything about after you yell "Clear"
and crank that sucker off. The regs specifically says you can throw stuff
out the window(or door) while flying(no deposit, no return),,, Bottom line,
They want you to drink and fly. I'll tell ya, Martha King didn't say it, you
just need to read between the lines......
Sorry to get off track, the resin, my eaa man told me to but it in the
refrigerator and it worked. Simple as heck after someone tells you about it.
Now its the magnetometer, I want to build a mount before I close in
eyerything, but I don't know how sensitive these things are. Or where would
be the best place to put them. I guess I need to call my EAA man, if he
hasn't talked to my Ex., he might be able to tell me where....
david

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...
What kind of plane is it?

let me take a wild guess here, a GlasAir?

Old December 13th 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

FYI a magnetometer is a compass for a computer, I want to put in a GRT
system, while in construction, I was looking for the best place to place it.
The kit is a glastar, which has a metal cage along with all the ferrous
metals in the wing and control cables in the fuselage. I have fun while I'm
working because I'm not getting paid now.
david

"Morgans" wrote in message

"David Koehler" wrote

Oh FYI the magnetometer is for my plane, I got divorced and quit

smoking,
wow, have enough money to buy a kit plane....

I like all of the "good natured ribbing," but I guess in a way, what we

are
saying is that weasel words are good enough for what I am guessing you are
asking. If you are asking about where to put a compass, you put it as far
away as you think can, from the ferrous metals and currents, (especially
large ones) and where you still can see it to be easily read. The rest

can
be tuned out using the compensators built into the compass.

If that is not what you are asking, "nevermind." g

After all, the best place to put it, would be on a boom out away from the
plane by several feet, or trailing the plane on a long string, but it

would
not be of any use to us, either of those places, or any of a number of

other
places.

Where do you usually see a compass? If it is a whiskey compass, it is
usually on the glareshield, or at the top of the windshield. Usually, it

is
in the middle, so you can see it from both sides of the cockpit, but also

so
it is somewhat (more weasel words) in the middle (symmetrically) of the
interfering metals and currents.

If it is a type that has a remote sensor package, then you get lots more
options.

Generally, you put it far away from the engine as possible in an aluminum
plane, or away from metal frame members in a tube and fabric plane. I'm
sure your literature on the specific instrument has some pretty good
guidelines; follow them the best you can, and it will be good enough.

And of course, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 13th 05, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

David Koehler wrote:
FYI a magnetometer is a compass for a computer,

Aha,I was wondering what this thread was about. I guess it is a
matter if definition. The basic definition of a magnetometer as I
understand it is to detect and measure magnetic fields. None of the
magnetometers I have used were small enough, light enough or logically
located in a cockpit. Then again none were connected to a computer.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 13th 05, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hi Dan,
this one is fairly small, it feeds a computer for a EFIS system. Grand
Rapids uses them on their system. From what I heard once it's setup your
finished with it. That sure beats the heck out of adjusting for drift every
15 minutes on a heading indicator.

Old December 13th 05, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

David Koehler wrote:

FYI a magnetometer is a compass for a computer,

Aha,I was wondering what this thread was about. I guess it is a
matter if definition. The basic definition of a magnetometer as I
understand it is to detect and measure magnetic fields. None of the
magnetometers I have used were small enough, light enough or logically
located in a cockpit. Then again none were connected to a computer.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I installed flux valves is extraodinarilly difficult places on some
aircraft and amazingly easy on others (if you aren't afraid of heights).
I have come to the conclusion there's a conspiracy among the makers of
flux valves to have them fail in extremely hot weather, extremely cold
weather or when I was the only one left in the shop who has swung one.
In the latter case you would have seen some rather large swing crews
MC-1 compass swing set ring a bell, anyone?

I wonder if the magnetomer you are using is anywhere near as
sensitive to induction as a flux valve. If it isn't I'd say you could
get away with mounting it resonably distant from electrical systems. If
you have ever seen a mag compass drift when lighting, pitot heat or the
like is turned on/off you'll have an idea of what too close is.

Other than that I'm not sure what I can do offer. Have you contacted
the maker?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 13th 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On larger aircraft they usually call out only non-ferris screws within
about 18" or so, epending on the manufacturer. They are usually in
the wing tips about the same distnce from the nav lights and strobes.
We swing the compasses when done and adjust them for their location.
Old December 14th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Don Hammer wrote:
On larger aircraft they usually call out only non-ferris screws within
about 18" or so, epending on the manufacturer. They are usually in
the wing tips about the same distnce from the nav lights and strobes.
We swing the compasses when done and adjust them for their location.

Those are the easy ones. Nothing like leaning on a speed handle
looking straight down at the ground a dozen feet below. In UH-1P it's
in the boom on the other side of a bulkhead from the access panel on the
bottom of the boom. Compass swings were quite amusing.

Degaussing windscreens in the rain is also fun. As Don said
nonferrous screws are the only ones allowed within a specified radius.
However ferrous metals do wind up close to mag compasses. I found one
aircraft type, I forget which, has the compass light switch right next
to it. You guessed it, it ferrous content. Since it was mounted under
the compensation magnets I don't think it mattered much, but the compass
moved a couple of degrees when the light was turned on.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 14th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:27:37 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote

No nails, just glue

Are you kidding? The last wood plane two wood planes I saw had more
nails in them than there are rivetts in a metal plane. The wing ribs
were built just like those in a model plane, except they used small
nails instead of pins. Tail, rudder, horizontal stab, elevator... All
the same way.

I think he knows that. I *hope* he knew that. g

What kind of device? You still have not said.

Then when you get done there are still all the steel control cables.
Electrical wiring...if it has an electrical system.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Low wing, high wing, electrical system, instruments installed, makeup of
instrument panel and materials used in the mountings? More details, if
anyone is to give a reasonable answer.

Old December 14th 05, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Roger" wrote

Are you kidding? The last wood plane two wood planes I saw had more
nails in them than there are rivetts in a metal plane. The wing ribs
were built just like those in a model plane, except they used small
nails instead of pins. Tail, rudder, horizontal stab, elevator... All
the same way.

True, some use nails, and some use tack strips and pull all of them after
the glue is set. Some don't. I don't know what I was thinking. Reality is
a lot different than ideal practice, huh?

My wood plane would have no nails, and no metal in it at all. Ceramic
engine, Kevlar cables, Unobtanium where necessary ....the whole works. I'm
not even going to use a transponder. I'm going for stealth, you know.
Staying under the radar. g

Let's hope they at least used non magnetic stainless nails..... Oh, there
goes that darn ideal vs. reality again. g

Jim wrote

Low wing, high wing, electrical system, instruments installed, makeup of
instrument panel and materials used in the mountings? More details, if
anyone is to give a reasonable answer.

At least I asked for more details. That would help, in this case.

I think I don't like which way this whole thread is headed, anyway. I'm
going to back out gracefully..... or maybe stumbling! g