Landing Critique

Old September 10th 05, 12:04 PM
Peter Clark

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 23:51:54 -0400, "Icebound"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

stall warning horn does not "get louder" it either sounds or
it doesn't.

Did you mean that generically for all aircraft? ... or in this particular
case only?

Perhaps it's to do with the way the horn is activated. I seem to
remember the 172's horn getting louder the closer to stall you got
(pneumatically activated), but don't recall that phenomenon with the
182's horn (electric switch)?
Old September 10th 05, 02:18 PM
Icebound

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 23:51:54 -0400, "Icebound"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

stall warning horn does not "get louder" it either sounds or
it doesn't.

Did you mean that generically for all aircraft? ... or in this particular
case only?

Perhaps it's to do with the way the horn is activated. I seem to
remember the 172's horn getting louder the closer to stall you got
(pneumatically activated), but don't recall that phenomenon with the
182's horn (electric switch)?

Well, the 172's horn seems to be basically the same principle as blowing
across the mouth of an open beer bottle. If you blow lightly, it makes a
gentle hum and if you blow hard, it gets loud.

I don't know how other stall horns were designed, but it was my impression
that a stall horn is supposed to be designed to go off a little before the
true stall.

For the 172, this means that at a certain AOA, there is *some* air going by
across the opening, producing *some* sound, while you still fly not fully
stalled. It is not until a full stall that the maximum amount of air is
flowing across the opening, producing the loudest sound. Now the 172 has a
pretty thick leading edge, which may contribute to the way this seems to
work.

Since that is all that I am familiar with....

....does that mean that for most other aircraft, I would have to be aware
that the stall horn will go off suddenly and completely?

Old September 10th 05, 02:20 PM
Blueskies

"Marco Leon" wrote in message ups.com...
See video of a hard(ish) landing at:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=4137

Did this guy land a bit short of the runway or was his glidepath a bit
too shallow? Something else? It's hard to tell from the video but maybe
some PA-32 drivers can give some insight. Or maybe someone fluent in
French can translate what was said as a comment.

Marco Leon

This is the classic got a video camera in the back seat gotta make a good landing blooper.

All of your really good landings are not going to be seen by anyone, but all of your bad ones will be...

Anyway, this approach was pretty sloppy from way out. The nose was all over the place; I was thinking they were playing
against a gusty wind but they settled down late in the approach...

Old September 10th 05, 03:22 PM
Bob Moore

"Icebound" wrote

Well, the 172's horn seems to be basically the same principle as
blowing across the mouth of an open beer bottle.

Not all C-172s...some have the electric vane. The one that I fly does.

I don't know how other stall horns were designed, but it was my
impression that a stall horn is supposed to be designed to go off a
little before the true stall.

(c) During the stall tests required by §23.201(b) and §23.203(a)(1), the
stall warning must begin at a speed exceeding the stalling speed by a
margin of not less than 5 knots and must continue until the stall occurs.

...does that mean that for most other aircraft, I would have to be
aware that the stall horn will go off suddenly and completely?

Yes, but at least 5 knots above the actual stall per Part 23.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI

Old September 10th 05, 04:27 PM
Jon Kraus

Looks like a landing I made last week. I was lazy and didn't fly a
pattern sice no one was around and my flight path was taking me directly
on the final approach course. I always seem to misjudge height from a
long way out and got flat coming in over the numbers. Then it is just a
matter of slowing up and pulling back into a pseudo-flare which really
results in a 3-point landing. I think that the video makes it look
worse than it probably was although he did get a bounce out of it.

Since it appears that he will be able to use the airplane again I would
call it a good landing. :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old September 10th 05, 05:29 PM
N93332

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Since it appears that he will be able to use the airplane again I would
call it a good landing. :-)

(The old saying) A 'good' landing is one you can walk away from, a 'great'
landing is one that you can reuse the plane...

So far, all my landings have been 'great'! ;-)

-Greg B.