302 vs clearnav vario with XCSoar

Old March 9th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default 302 vs clearnav vario with XCSoar

I am considering replacing my 302 with clearnav vario.
My questions:
1 - I am aware clearnav is not a supported option for XCSoar, but giving that they suppose to implement the same 302 protocol, will it work the same as 302 when using the XCSoar 302 driver? In particular I am interested in the 302 specific data such as calculated wind, airspeed, vario, as well as downloading and declaring flights.
2- anything clearnav is missing or changed that I will miss?

Thanks

Ramy
Old March 9th 17, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Davison[_3_]

At 03:50 09 March 2017, Ramy wrote:
I am considering replacing my 302 with clearnav vario.
My questions:
1 - I am aware clearnav is not a supported option for XCSoar, but giving
th=
at they suppose to implement the same 302 protocol, will it work the same
a=
s 302 when using the XCSoar 302 driver? In particular I am interested in
th=
e 302 specific data such as calculated wind, airspeed, vario, as well as
do=
wnloading and declaring flights.
2- anything clearnav is missing or changed that I will miss?

Thanks

Ramy

I have a Cnv vario linked to XC Soar and it works fine, including declaring
flights etc. I don't think the CNv sends calculated wind, but it does all
the rest.

Chris

Old March 9th 17, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The option to use externally calculated wind was removed in one of the recent XCSoar versions. So it also won't be available with a 302.

There were some issues with CNv serial communication but they were solved with software updates. It works well with XCSoar although it is officially not supported.

Christoph
Old March 9th 17, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 2:39:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The option to use externally calculated wind was removed in one of the recent XCSoar versions. So it also won't be available with a 302.

There were some issues with CNv serial communication but they were solved with software updates. It works well with XCSoar although it is officially not supported.

Christoph

I'm also using CNv with digital display, linked to an Oudie Lite running XC Soar with the Cumulus cable. Works well.
Old March 9th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've used the CNvXC for two years with a Streak/XCSoar and a 302 for 3
years before that and I now use the CNv with a ClearNav II flight
computer. Since I moved to a two-seater, I rigged up cable splitters
and two Bluetooth converters so my wife gets to use XCSoar when we fly.
XCSoar displays calculated winds, position, etc., from the CNv just
fine. XCSoar doesn't "support" ClearNav because ClearNav didn't or
wouldn't give them one to use for testing, but the CNv uses the 302
protocol.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 9th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 7:57:22 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Thanks Folks. The XCSoar external wind is still available in current release. I hope they will keep it as the 302 wind calculation was more accurate and updated faster than XCSoar internal wind calculation. This was true when I compared between the two few years ago, perhaps it was improved since. But since CN wind calculation suppose to be even better than 302, I want to make sure it is working with XCSoar external wind option. Another important parameter that 302 provides to xcsoar is true airspeed which is then used to calculate instant headwind/tailwind component. I want to make sure this is working as well before I decide to switch to CN Vario.

Ramy
Old March 10th 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:50:40 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I am considering replacing my 302 with clearnav vario.
My questions:
1 - I am aware clearnav is not a supported option for XCSoar, but giving that they suppose to implement the same 302 protocol, will it work the same as 302 when using the XCSoar 302 driver? In particular I am interested in the 302 specific data such as calculated wind, airspeed, vario, as well as downloading and declaring flights.
2- anything clearnav is missing or changed that I will miss?

Thanks

Ramy

I flew with XCsoar for 1 or 2 years with a 302 and I would NOT want the winds from the 302. XCsoar has an excellent wind algorithm that I trust a lot more than the 302. XCsoar does a great job of figuring out the wind with little or no circling.

Chris
Old March 10th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ramy,

It works. Wind from the CNv is displayed on the XCSoar device. I
haven't configured XCSoar to display head/tail wind, so I can't verify
that that works. I'll likely fly tomorrow and I'll try to remember to
check that for you. In the mean time, you might go to clearnav.net and
peruse the forum. You might find the answer there.

Dan

Old March 10th 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Thanks Dan. You may want to continue using this info box. Make sure to select "Head wind component (simplified)". Not sure why they choose to call it this way but the other one is calculated while the simplified is using the true airspeed data from XCSoar to provide accurate and instantaneous real time HW/TW. I found I am checking it more often than the calculated vector wind.

Ramy
Old March 11th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Ramy,

Today, I configured an Info Button on my wife's Streak/XCSoar to display
true airspeed (Airspeed True) and flew with it that way. It works!
True airspeed displayed by XCSoar looked like the vector sum of ground
speed and wind.

Dan