Katrina fall-out

Old September 11th 05, 06:44 PM
sfb

My original point was New Orleans is a major port so we just can't walk
away which you countered by saying it was on #14 using a container
shipping numbers.I lost track of whether you are saying I'm full of ****
or admitting your are.

"Doug Carter" wrote in message
ire.net...
In article iuYUe.649$YI6.353@trnddc05, sfb wrote:
Nice try baby, but your chart is ranked by container shipping. Grain
are
bulk cargos. Levees are needed to maintain water depth for
navigation.

Ahhh, try reading the posts. New Orleans is is _not_ an insignificant
port overall and _yes_ it is important to grain exports with some nine
of the twelve central gulf coast elevators with deep draft channels.

This could be why I suggested rebuilding the grain terminals.

What fraction, do you suppose, of the now displaced or dead New
Orleans population was devoted to grain shipment?

Old September 11th 05, 07:01 PM
Ash Wyllie

sfb opined

New Orleans is a major port exporting grain from the Midwest to the
world so they just can't walk away.

Ports further up the Mississippi are more important for geain shipping.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old September 12th 05, 02:06 AM
sfb

Other than Baton Rouge, what are the deep water ports? Do they have the
capacity to make up for the loss of New Orleans?

Old September 12th 05, 05:56 AM
Morgans

"Ash Wyllie" wrote

Ports further up the Mississippi are more important for geain shipping.

Nope, for the reason that all grain further up must first be loaded onto
barges, then transferred to freighters at N.O.

My suggestion? We need to keep the port open, and other industry in the
area that can't be moved, and French quarter, and perhaps some of the other
historic areas, but let the rest revert back. Put in a good mass transit
line to the area, from a "new" New Orleans, further up the river.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 12th 05, 01:32 PM
Flyingmonk

I say build all houses in NO a la houseboat style and tug tow them away
or just let them float in place with retractable angkors to accomodate
water level. Just another one of my 'will never work' ideas. OK guys,
I got my deflector beanie hat on this time so I'm thinking clear w/o
outside influence. : -)

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ ---make your own deflector beanie hat.

Old September 12th 05, 02:21 PM
Ash Wyllie

Morgans opined

"Ash Wyllie" wrote

Ports further up the Mississippi are more important for geain shipping.

Nope, for the reason that all grain further up must first be loaded onto
barges, then transferred to freighters at N.O.

The grain port is between N.O. and Baton Rouge.

My suggestion? We need to keep the port open, and other industry in the
area that can't be moved, and French quarter, and perhaps some of the other
historic areas, but let the rest revert back. Put in a good mass transit
line to the area, from a "new" New Orleans, further up the river.

That is likely to be the natural result. Maney of the relocated are likely to
stay where they are. That is , unless governments rebuild the whole city.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Fall Photo Shoots Arnold Sten Piloting 7 October 8th 04 04:29 PM
Windsocks ,. Great fall special $ 15 for 1 or $ 25 for 2 GASSITT Aviation Marketplace 0 October 6th 04 05:12 AM
Tomcats gone by fall of 2006 Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 48 June 22nd 04 02:32 PM
NE fall foliage report Cub Driver Piloting 0 October 19th 03 12:25 PM
Fall Colors Flights! Jack Cunniff Piloting 2 October 15th 03 10:06 PM