Starting new C172s

Old September 10th 05, 02:48 AM
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:
You seldom know what R.M.G. is talking about because he "over-trims."

I have a newsreader that puts replys under the associated posts w/o
regard to time. If you're just reading news sorted by date, I can see
how you can be confused.

I see only new posts, so if you just post a reply with no context then
it's just drivel.
Old September 10th 05, 04:48 AM
Roger

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:08:07 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
Newps wrote:

I have a 64 S35, first year with the IO520 and the first year as a six
seater so as a four seater you have a lot of cargo space.

Again, congratulations. Sounds like a beauty. Perhaps we will run across
each other at some future ABS event.

Possibly, although you'll be more likely to find me on a backwoods strip
somewhere trying to find out where the trout are hiding. I have heard
stories of Bo pilots being, ah, a little stuffy. If I run in to that
you'd never see me at a Bo event again. I don't suffer morons.

We have been trying to get more of them to join our formation flights,
but have very few takers. I must admit, however, that the later models
handle like trucks! Somewhere along the line, Beech decided that
Bonanzas were too light on the controls and stiffened them up. Also, the
vernier throttle and its positioning make it hard to fly formation.

With a 59 Deb (Sept 11) I find the controls just right. The throttle
is just in the right place and it is very easy to fly. OTOH I don't
fly formation with any one I don't know. Of course I won't fly
formation with a lot of the ones I do either :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 10th 05, 04:50 AM
Roger

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:11:51 -0600, Newps wrote:

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

I have a 64 S35, first year with the IO520 and the first year as a six
seater so as a four seater you have a lot of cargo space. One of the
first things you notice is these things are really put together.
Cessnas and Pipers are flimsy beer cans compared to a Bonanza, of course
thats also why the empty weight is 230 pounds more.

The first time my wife rode in our, after our POS T210 (ours was a lemon),
said it was like riding in a Caddy or Mercedes after being in a Yugo.

My wife is five foot nuthin'. As soon as she sat in it and saw she
could use the spar as a footrest I got the green light.

You got a tall one. Joyce is 4'10" :-)) I have noticed the spar
cover does lose a bit of paint on that side.

Old September 10th 05, 04:56 AM
Roger

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:33:40 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On 9 Sep 2005 06:13:28 -0700, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com::

Beech isn't the only one that's exorbitant. I got a recent quote from
Piper for $200 each for a pair of gas caps for my Arrow.

I would hope Cessna's charging 100 times the market rate for similar
items is a result of an attempt to included the cost of liability
exposure in the price, and not monopolistic profiteering.

I've always wanted a Bo but am getting concerned now about structural
issues

I too am considering a Bonanza. It's cost of operation per-seat-mile
seems superior to anything else in its class, but a 40-50 year old
aircraft does make one think about its structural integrity.

- an AD for tail strengthening on older models,

That Airworthiness Directive was a result of a number of in-flight
failures attributed to flutter wasn't it? It was a necessary design
change to deal with an unanticipated problem inherent in the original
design, IIRC.

and more recently an issue about cracks in the wing spar web.

That is probably the biggest concern, but there are methods of
detecting problems there aren't there? Isn't there a retrofit kit
available also?

It's a visual inspection and can be fixed by stop drilling and
doublers. The current question is whether that is good enough or not.
It's thought the cracks come from taxiing on rough surfaces rather
than in flight, but who knows.

Old September 10th 05, 04:58 AM
Roger

On 9 Sep 2005 15:46:16 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

You seldom know what R.M.G. is talking about because he "over-trims."

I have a newsreader that puts replys under the associated posts w/o
regard to time. If you're just reading news sorted by date, I can see
how you can be confused.

Posts in order by date are in logical order only by chance by the time
they've gone through several servers.

Old September 10th 05, 06:39 AM
Roger

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:00:46 -0600, Newps wrote:

Roger wrote:

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:00:11 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote:

Newps wrote:

You wouldn't believe the number of numbnuts out there who
fly final at 100 mph or more. Right now I can comfortably fly final at
75 MPH although the book speed for my weight is 68 MPH so I have some
more practice to do.

That sounds a bit low although some of the older and lighter V-tails
would be down in that range.

That's the book speed. With my 182 I could fly below the book speed
because I had VG's.

I have a Deb that was built in 59 (Sept 11th no less). Final is 80
MPH minus one MPH for each 100# under gross. That brings book speed
for me alone to between 76 and 78 depending on fuel.

Book also says 1 MPH per 100# below gross. At 2400 book says my stall
is 53 MPH.

On mine Vso at just over 2400 is 55 MPH, but with me alone and 11
gallons of unusable fuel, I'd have to take off with only 10 gallons
available. :-)) That would mean summer clothes and leaving the
planes documents in the car too.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I have 1000# useful load. 70 gallons of fuel drops that to 430. Add my
170 and it's down to 250 under gross or 78 MPH. 3 hours of flying @
14 GPH drops that by another 250# for 500# under gross or 75 MPH.

My useful is right at 1300 pounds.

What model did you purchase again?

S35.

Old September 10th 05, 09:33 PM
xyzzy

Robert M. Gary wrote:

You seldom know what R.M.G. is talking about because he "over-trims."

I have a newsreader that puts replys under the associated posts w/o
regard to time. If you're just reading news sorted by date, I can see
how you can be confused.

Many newsreaders don't show already-read posts. Mine does but they are
marked as already read, so I don't look at them again. If the post you
replied is already read when I read yours, what you're replying to is
not fresh in my mind and I'm not about to go back and look at that just
so I can figure out wtf you are saying.

Leaving some context in is simple netiquitte.