Landing Critique

Old September 9th 05, 12:55 AM
Marco Leon

Default Landing Critique

See video of a hard(ish) landing at:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=4137

Did this guy land a bit short of the runway or was his glidepath a bit
too shallow? Something else? It's hard to tell from the video but maybe
some PA-32 drivers can give some insight. Or maybe someone fluent in
French can translate what was said as a comment.

Marco Leon

Old September 9th 05, 01:44 AM
Michelle P

They are french what do they know about airplanes? ;-)
Actually it looks like they flared to high.
Michelle

Old September 9th 05, 02:08 AM
Guy Elden Jr

To my eye, it looked like they were too low for at least the last 1/2
mile of the approach. They kept the power in until a few seconds before
they stalled, and good grief... the stall horn was going off _right_ as
they were crossing the tip of the runway.

I dunno... I always like to begin the flare _after_ I've crossed the
threshold, not over a highway.

--
Guy

Old September 9th 05, 02:15 AM
Icebound

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
ups.com...
See video of a hard(ish) landing at:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=4137

Did this guy land a bit short of the runway or was his glidepath a bit
too shallow? Something else? It's hard to tell from the video but maybe
some PA-32 drivers can give some insight. Or maybe someone fluent in
French can translate what was said as a comment.

I've seen that landing early in my training.

I would get into a dumb approach trim-setup where the airspeed keeps
bleeding off instead of staying steady. At the threshold, the airspeed is
down to stall...pulling back makes the horn go louder, but it doesn't really
flare, just sort of plops onto the runway on all three.

Old September 9th 05, 04:00 AM
Jay Honeck

Did this guy land a bit short of the runway or was his glidepath a bit
too shallow? Something else?

He got a bit too slow, and couldn't arrest his sink rate. A Cherokee will
come down like a load of sand if you get slow on final.

Video also exaggerates the impact of any landing, in my experience.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 9th 05, 05:38 AM

my 0.02 worth... I di dnot see a flare in the true sense. I did not
see (prop rotation) or hear any power adjustments prior to stall
warning.. stall warning horn does not "get louder" it either sounds or
it doesn't. This pilot was definitely below glide slop at least a half
mile out. The internal "stupid alert" should have sounded and power
applied shortly after base to final. I tried to watch a spot on the
ground with reference to windscreen but it was difficult as there was
too much movement, but you could see the "numbers" slowly going up the
screen.
Also noticed a "lot" of internal pilot copilot movement after entering
the pattern and a piece of paper flying by the pilot shortly after
downwind to base. At least they seemed very jocular about the
landing. Isn't it great to be a critic? One thumb down

Old September 9th 05, 08:21 AM
Stefan

Marco Leon wrote:

Or maybe someone fluent in
French can translate what was said as a comment.

Nothing noteworthy.

Right seat: Ah disdonc! (General remark with no particular meaning.
Could be translated with "well...!" or something like that.)
Left seat: "That's a landing!"
and later: "(not understandable)... 400 meters!" (Probably: I needed
only 400 meters to come to a stop.)

It seems to me that it's a student with the instructor.

BTW: They landed at Logues, 10 miles east of Paris. Here's the VAC:
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv....D%202.LFPL.pdf

Note that the circuit (pattern) flight path is mandatory for noise
abatement reasons, as is the case in most European airfields. And yes,
the runway is 08, with a leading zero.

Stefan
Old September 9th 05, 03:40 PM
john smith

Started out looking high, which is good because this airplane can come
down quickly.
I was looking at the panel for the ASI, didn't see it but noted that the
VSI was 900 fpm.
He definitely go too low as is evident by the flattening out of the
sight picture of the runway prior to crossing the road.
I couldn't tell when or how much flaps were applied, but from the rate
of descent, I would guess all of them at the beginning of the approach.
Old September 10th 05, 01:21 AM
vincent p. norris

They are french what do they know about airplanes? ;-)

Ummm, I guess you haven't done a lot of reading about aviation
history.

Dintcha ever wonder why so many aviation terms (fuselage, empennage,
aileron, chandelle, etc.) are French? ((:-))

vince norris
Old September 10th 05, 04:51 AM
Icebound

wrote in message
oups.com...

stall warning horn does not "get louder" it either sounds or
it doesn't.

Did you mean that generically for all aircraft? ... or in this particular
case only?