fuel subsidies for Angle Flight pilots

Old September 10th 05, 03:00 AM
Blanche Cohen

61.113 line by line

61.113(d) charitable organization described in paragraph (d)(7)
yes, AF is one of those by 501(c)3
61.113(d)(1) 7 day advance notice
Don't quote me, but I'd be really surprised if we don't have a blanket
authorization.
61.113(d)(1)(i) signed letter from the sponsor...
Yup. Always
61.113(d)(1)(ii) [paraphrased ...] copies of pilot info
On file with AF before we're allowed to fly
61.113(d)(2) about airports
You betcha!
61.113(d)(4) & (5) airworthiness...
Again, required by AF
61.113(d)(6) Day VFR
This is new to me.Perhaps there's a different clause that applies. AFW does
not require IFR rating altho other AF regions either require or "strongly
suggest". Personally, I only fly day VFR altho the return (which is
not considered AF flight) is often at night
61.113(d)(7) IRS 501(c)3 or equivalent
Yup.

I find the next item interesting: 61.113(e) "...may be reimbursed for
operating expenses directly related to SAR...." Can this (has it been)
interpreted for AF flights for relocation? It certainly applies to CAP,
but as I understand it, CAP is under a completely different jurisdiction
and not subject to 61.113 at all. Doesn't CAP come under the
"Federal, State and Local Government" definition? Which means all bets
are off when discussing reimbursements.

Old September 10th 05, 12:48 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:43:55 -0500, Jim Burns wrote:

I don't see anywhere that Angel Flight is going to reimburse any pilot for
anything. They are asking for money to buy fuel. Will they donate that
fuel to the pilots that require it to complete Angel Flight missions? or
will they charge?

maybe they buy fuel at regular rate and sell it to their pilots for a
nominal fee and carry "the loss" (there is no loss, because the fuel or
money for fuel wsa donated).

#m

--
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed,
most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we
Old September 10th 05, 02:54 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:43:55 -0500, Jim Burns wrote:

I don't see anywhere that Angel Flight is going to reimburse any pilot for
anything. They are asking for money to buy fuel. Will they donate that
fuel to the pilots that require it to complete Angel Flight missions? or
will they charge?

maybe they buy fuel at regular rate and sell it to their pilots for a
nominal fee and carry "the loss" (there is no loss, because the fuel or
money for fuel wsa donated).

You won't see the pilots getting cheap or free fuel. That's what the
EAA used to do for Young Eagle flights and the FAA put a stop to that
about 5 years ago.
Old September 11th 05, 04:33 AM
Peter Duniho

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in
message
news:2005091022000316807%bodhioneeightyeightjunkat macdotcom@junkjunk...
Angel Flight pilots are not reimbursed, nor do their passengers share the
cost of the flight. It is strictly a charitable act on the part of the
pilot. The pilot may take a tax deduction equal to the cost of the flight.

Thank you for the information. Of course, it begs the question: just how
would Angel Flight subsidize fuel costs for the pilots, if those pilots are
not receiving money from Angel Flight?

Old September 11th 05, 06:15 AM
Marty Shapiro

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Tom Fleischman" wrote
in message
news:2005091022000316807%bodhioneeightyeightjunkat macdotcom@junkjunk...
Angel Flight pilots are not reimbursed, nor do their passengers share
the cost of the flight. It is strictly a charitable act on the part
of the pilot. The pilot may take a tax deduction equal to the cost of
the flight.

Thank you for the information. Of course, it begs the question: just
how would Angel Flight subsidize fuel costs for the pilots, if those
pilots are not receiving money from Angel Flight?

All that would be needed is for Angel Flight to pay the FBO to give a
fuel discount to the pilot.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old September 11th 05, 06:59 AM
Blanche Cohen

Marty Shapiro wrote:
All that would be needed is for Angel Flight to pay the FBO to give a
fuel discount to the pilot.

Why? Most FBOs offer a discount for AF flights now. If the AF organization
were to provide an additional discount to the FBO, the paperwork and
overhead would be horrendous!

Old September 11th 05, 09:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"Marty Shapiro" wrote in message
All that would be needed is for Angel Flight to pay the FBO to give a
fuel discount to the pilot.

Let me rephrase:

Just how will Angel Flight subsidize fuel costs... ?

I'm aware of the various theoretical possibilities. What I really want to
know is how they actually plan to do it.

Pete