Lost Comm route?

Old June 20th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lost Comm route?

I think this is a well worn question, but my digging isn't getting an
answer for my specific scenario(s).
Aircraft does NOT have a WAAS GPS. It could have an older IFR
certified (just not Sole Navigation) GPS.

1. File Airways/VORs (within 40/25 mile service radius). Upon
departure, request & get Direct my destination that's 200 miles away.
I lose radios. What route do I fly?

2. File Direct to my destination that's 200 miles away. I get that for
my clearance. I depart. I lose radios. Same question.

91.185 says,
" (a) General. Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, each pilot who has
two-way radio communications failure when operating under IFR shall
comply with the rules of this section. (b) VFR conditions. If the
failure occurs in VFR conditions, or if VFR conditions are encountered
after the failure, each pilot shall continue the flight under VFR and
land as soon as practicable.
(c) IFR conditions. If the failure occurs in IFR conditions, or if
paragraph (b) of this section cannot be complied
with, each pilot shall continue the flight according to the
following:
(1) Route.
(i) By the route assigned in the last ATC clearance received;
(ii) If being radar vectored, by the direct route from the
point of radio failure to the fix, route, or airway specified in the
vector clearance;
(iii) In the absence of an assigned route, by the route that
ATC has advised may be expected in a further clearance; or
(iv) In the absence of an assigned route or a route that ATC
has advised may be expected in a further clearance, by the route filed
in the flight plan.
(2) Altitude.............."

(c)(1)(i) makes it sound like I just keep mowing on to my 200 mile
away destination. If I have no GPS *at all*, I'm pretty much dead-
reckoning my way to get close enough to the closest VOR at my
destination. A handheld would make that more accurate.

If that's not correct, then under scenario #2, (c)(1)(iv) wouldn't
help, since my "filed" route was a big 200 mile Direct.

With radios, if radar goes down, ATC should scoot me over onto
airways, or leapfrog VORs within 80 (or 65 or 50) miles of each other.
I have had that happen to me. Lost of radios, doesn't necessarily mean
loss of radar, but it does mean I cannot *hear* anymore correcting
vectors.

Thanks for filling me with knowledge....! :-)

Old June 20th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

Go direct, that was last ATC clearance. Navigate by GPS, dead reackoning,
or ham sandwich.

--

Scott

Arab culture is so dysfunctional that Islam was an improvement.
oups.com...

Old June 21st 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

1. File Airways/VORs (within 40/25 mile service radius). Upon
departure, request & get Direct my destination that's 200 miles away.
I lose radios. What route do I fly?

Let me modify the question a bit. You have a VOR/DME airplane. No GPS.
You file airways (they have zigzags and some hills) and get cleared as
filed. You take off, and lose comm and nav. You're in the soup.

What do you fly? (You do have an NDB that works)

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Old June 21st 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
Jose wrote:

1. File Airways/VORs (within 40/25 mile service radius). Upon
departure, request & get Direct my destination that's 200 miles away.
I lose radios. What route do I fly?

Let me modify the question a bit. You have a VOR/DME airplane. No GPS.
You file airways (they have zigzags and some hills) and get cleared as
filed. You take off, and lose comm and nav. You're in the soup.

What do you fly? (You do have an NDB that works)

It sounds like you no longer have the means to navigate any of the routes
(cleared, expected, filed) described in 91.185. And don't have a handheld
GPS. And you don't have a handheld comm radio. And you don't have a cell
phone. Therefore, you fall back on on 91.3.

Your first goal is to avoid hitting any terrain. If you're not sure you're
above all terrain, climb. How high? High enough to ensure terrain
clearance. Nothing else matters until you've got that covered.

While you're climbing, write down the time. You're going to need that
compute your DR plot.

Next, where are you going to go? Hopefully, you've got some idea where VFR
weather can be found. Fly in that direction. If there's a good high-power
NDB station you can use, navigate to that. If not, then an AM radio
station will work fine (if it turns out to be Country & Western, turn the
volume down low enough that you can't hear it). If not, just fly a
heading. Keep flying until you can see the ground. Find an airport.
Land. Done.
Old June 21st 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

It sounds like you no longer have the means to navigate any of the routes
(cleared, expected, filed) described in 91.185.

Exactly. In my scenario, you've lost nav too, except for NDB. So use
that. You use what you have to avoid becoming a newspaper article.

Back to the original scenario, you still have a handheld GPS. So you
can still fly your (direct) clearance.

(c)(1)(i) makes it sound like I just keep mowing on to my 200 mile
away destination. If I have no GPS *at all*, I'm pretty much dead-
reckoning my way to get close enough to the closest VOR at my
destination. A handheld would make that more accurate.

IF you have no GPS you can't navigate direct (except under certain
circumstances). IF you have VOR, use that to stay alive. If you are
down to dead reckoning, your original clearance is no longer important.
Fly whatever you can to get yourself somewhere you can land safely,
without regard to 91.185.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Old June 22nd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

wrote:
And fly a VFR altitude...

Why would you do that?

Lost comm in Mexico Michael Piloting 3 January 27th 06 12:17 AM
Lost comm -- what would you do? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 19 December 1st 05 03:57 PM
Lost comm procedures Ron Garret Instrument Flight Rules 12 March 8th 05 09:42 AM
Lost comm altitude? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 12 January 11th 04 12:29 AM
Lost comm - Arrival Michael 182 Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 28th 03 12:04 AM