Oops... Airliner lands at the wrong airport...

Old June 25th 04, 04:14 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
. net...
I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking

clones,
lawyers as dishonest money-grubbers, doctors as drug-pushers,

accountants as
crooks, teachers as uncaring civil-servants, etc.

don't forget about B744 pilots as just "heavy machinery operators."

Buncha winged bus drivers!!!

Old June 27th 04, 12:33 AM
pacplyer

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
. net...
I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking

clones,
lawyers as dishonest money-grubbers, doctors as drug-pushers,

accountants as
crooks, teachers as uncaring civil-servants, etc.

don't forget about B744 pilots as just "heavy machinery operators."

Buncha winged bus drivers!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. All professional pilots have had this almost happen
to them. Fatique can contribute to the "set up" as well as
unfamiliarity with the area. Jets move in fast, with two-man crews
you don't have but a few seconds to look out the window and then its
back to checklists, radio freq changes, complex arrival clearances and
last second changes and speed adjustments...and instrument
malfunctions (is the ILS even turned on down there? Whoops now it
is...) and after a month of flying runway numbers start running
together. Ever get lost in your car? What, were you stupid or
something? No, odds were you were just trying to get to point B in a
hurry, you got bored and complacent with navigating and screwed up the
street names. At LAX this wrong runway syndrome happens every month.
Four parallel runways ensures this. Controllers are run ragged by the
penny-pinching FAA and do the best they can. They were very
accommodating when a UAL 747 tried to land at Hawthorne twenty years
ago. To prevent this you must not give in to ATC pressure to go
visual early. When ATC says "you don't have the runway yet?" Be
defiant and say No, even if it's embarrassing. You do see *a* runway
in front of you, but without some sort of Nav backup you're asking for
it. The visual is an FAA side letter to terminate IFR early, and you
are not required to take it. Now if you're poking along in a
bugsmasher, you have a great deal more time to analyze the airport and
veer off if you fixated on the first peice of pavement you saw.

pac "any piece of pavement in a storm" plyer
Old June 27th 04, 10:40 AM
gabriele

Tom Sixkiller wrote:
On 21 Jun 2004 18:22:59 -0700, Bob Fry

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

Well you wouldn't make much money.
You could take out of it any 3 engine Falcon with about 6000 lbs/2+hours
of fuel.

Gabriele
Old June 27th 04, 05:16 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a

straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

Well you wouldn't make much money.
You could take out of it any 3 engine Falcon with about 6000 lbs/2+hours
of fuel.

Out of a 3185 foot runway at 4000(?) feet? He might make it, but it would
sure be exciting to watch.

Old June 27th 04, 05:28 PM
Bob Fry

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

He got out no problem. The first and probably last time we saw a jet
blasting over West Davis.
Old June 27th 04, 05:28 PM
Ditch

Even a straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

Yeah....it could do so quite easily. So could the Falcon for that matter.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old June 27th 04, 06:04 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a

straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

He got out no problem. The first and probably last time we saw a jet
blasting over West Davis.

Any idea of how much room he had to spare...or at what point he reached the
go/no-go point? :~)

If it was the same pilot, I'd have to think that his judgment, as you
mentioned, leaves something to be desired.

Old June 27th 04, 06:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

Most Citations would have no problem getting out of there. The III, VI, and VII
models might have to be trucked out; I don't have minimum fuel performance specs.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 27th 04, 06:55 PM
Greg

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

"Couldn't get out"?

Huh? Citations don't seem to have any problem with our local 3200' foot
runway...

Old June 27th 04, 06:55 PM
Greg

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

wrote:

Just a few months ago a tri-engine Falcon Jet--I don't know which
model--landed by mistake at University Airport (3185 x 50 ft.) instead
of nearby Yolo Airport (6000 x 100 ft.) The pilot hit the reverse
thrust before the nosewheel touched down...better pilot skill than
judgement.

I'd sell tickets to the guy's takeoff when he tries to leave.Even a

straight
wing Citation couldn't get out of that mess.

He got out no problem. The first and probably last time we saw a jet
blasting over West Davis.

Any idea of how much room he had to spare...or at what point he reached the
go/no-go point? :~)

If it was the same pilot, I'd have to think that his judgment, as you
mentioned, leaves something to be desired.

How much Falcon time do you have and what do you base that on?