Intake plenum

Old April 3rd 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Neal Fulco

Default Intake plenum

I'm thinking about making a carb. heat plenum for my plane out of
fiberglass ( epoxy.) I had done it once for my Quickie many years
ago because that's what what the plans said to do. But that was a
very small plenum. Due to space constraints, it would be very easy to
make it out of fiberglass for my new project ( 120 h.p.) but I'm
wondering if the carb heat would be too hot for the fiberglass. I
will make it out of aluminum if I have to, but it would be harder to
do. Do you think the fiberglass would work? Thanks

Neal
Old April 4th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:52:03 -0700 (PDT), Neal Fulco
wrote:

I'm thinking about making a carb. heat plenum for my plane out of
fiberglass ( epoxy.) I had done it once for my Quickie many years
ago because that's what what the plans said to do. But that was a
very small plenum. Due to space constraints, it would be very easy to
make it out of fiberglass for my new project ( 120 h.p.) but I'm
wondering if the carb heat would be too hot for the fiberglass. I
will make it out of aluminum if I have to, but it would be harder to
do. Do you think the fiberglass would work? Thanks

Neal

Nope. Fiberglass (unless you are getting ito really exotic resins)
won't handle the heat.
Old April 4th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
et

On Apr 3, 12:52*pm, Neal Fulco wrote:
I'm thinking about making a carb. heat plenum for my plane out of
fiberglass ( epoxy.) * I had done it once for my Quickie many years
ago because that's what what the plans said to do. *But that was a
very small plenum. *Due to space constraints, it would be very easy to
make it out of fiberglass for my new project ( 120 h.p.) but I'm
wondering if the carb heat would be too hot for the fiberglass. *I
will make it out of aluminum if I have to, but it would be harder to
do. *Do you think the fiberglass would work? *Thanks

Neal

On my Glasair, I have a composite plenum on the intake side of the
carb with a flapper valve to direct air. The plenum is actually part
of the cowl with a rubber gasket next to the carb. Don't know what
was used to make the part, but it's attached to the cowl with
vinylester. Seems to work OK.

Ed
Old April 8th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:56:31 -0400, Ernest Christley

90 degrees above ambient?

200 max?

That is the minimum required
Can often be a lot hotter than that. Only isophthalic resin rated for
210F and Vynylester rated at 241F would even be close. None of the
common epoxies are rated for that temperature. You would need a
novolac based epoxy (special high temperature epoxy resin)

Thin some JBWeld. Squish it into the glass between sheets of cellophane
with a large socket or piece of pipe.

A BADGE Resin (Bisphenol A DiGlycidyl Ether) resin is another one of
the special high temperature epoxy resins.

Good to about 500

intake air filter choices Dick Home Built 8 January 19th 07 03:06 PM
Flexible air intake hose abripl Home Built 10 July 21st 06 04:11 AM
Blackbird intake Speed Piloting 5 May 25th 05 07:52 PM
Q. about Eurofighter intake Alistair Gunn Military Aviation 1 August 20th 04 06:58 AM
Lycoming intake preheater Dale Larsen Home Built 5 June 6th 04 10:32 PM