Who Discovered Thermals?

Old June 25th 04, 08:01 PM
Robert de León

Default Who Discovered Thermals?

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I assume that early glider pilots noted soaring birds and thought "there
must be rising air where they're turning and climbing." I've read a few
references as to WHEN it was achieved by glider pilots (but not a firm
date). I haven't found details as to who genuinely went after one, where it
happened and what they were flying. I'm guessing part of it was trial and
error while slope soaring...followed by "ah-ha!"

Old June 25th 04, 09:38 PM
Erik Braun

Robert de León wrote:

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I read about Georgii who tried this in a motor plane. He shut down the
enginge and flew circles under some clouds without losing height. I have no
idea to when it was, but according to this book, it was Georgii.

Greetings, Erik.
Old June 25th 04, 10:54 PM
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I would cite Max Kegel who more or less accidently got caught in a
thunderstorm in 1926 and turned that into a record distance of 50km
as one candidate. The incident earned him the nickname of
"Gewittermaxe".

Another candidate might be Robert Kronfeld who might have been first
to intentionally seek out thermals. On August 6. 1928 he discovered
the circling technique and managed to arrive back 500m above his
takeoff point.

Robert Kronfeld also is the first glider polit to use a vario.
When asked about it he reportedly declared it as coffee pot to
keep the advantage in contests.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn.
Fon +49 228 624013, Fax +49 228 624031.
Old June 26th 04, 06:24 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Marian Aldenhövel
writes
Hi,

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I recall reading about someone who flew in a BE2 (I think) from Issy Les
Molineaux to Cambrai (I think it was Cambrai) with their motor idling.
In 1916.

From On Being a Bird, Phillip Wills.

Sounds like someone discovered cloud streets.
--
Mike Lindsay

Old June 27th 04, 12:59 PM
Chris OCallaghan

From the SSA website...

"These slow glides in rising currents probably hold out greater hope
of extensive practice than any other method within man's reach...
....when gliding operators have attained greater skill, they can, with
comparative safety, maintain themselves in the air for hours at a time
in this way, and thus by constant practice so increase their knowledge
and skill that they can rise into the higher air and search out the
currents which enable the soaring birds to transport themselves to any
desired point by first rising in a circle and then sailing off at a
descending angle."

--Wilbur Wright, Sept 18, 1901
Old June 27th 04, 04:41 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:01:25 -0500, Robert de León
wrote:

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

According to Martin Simons (Sailplanes: 1920-1945):

- Prof Georgii declared thermals too weak to be useful in 1922
- Johannes Nehring soared over the Wasserkuppe in almost
zero-wind conditions in 1926 and Max Kegel got sucked into
a CuNim a few days later
- Georgii and Nehring made a systematic thermal investigation
during 1928 with a powered light plane and Alexander Lippisch
adapted the vario from ones he'd used earlier in Zeppelins.
- Robert Kronfeld was the first to use a vario in competition (in
the Rhongeist) in August, 1928 and made the first intentional
thermal-assisted xc competition flight.

You could argue that Kronfeld's flight was the first undeclared out
and return task to be flown because he had chosen his destination
before starting (the Himmeldunkberg) and got back to the Wasserkuppe
against the wind an overall height gain .

BTW, Eqip tell me that the third book in the series, Sailplanes
1965-2000, is due out in July.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old June 27th 04, 04:53 PM
Ralph Jones

wrote:

I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I assume that early glider pilots noted soaring birds and thought "there
must be rising air where they're turning and climbing." I've read a few
references as to WHEN it was achieved by glider pilots (but not a firm
date). I haven't found details as to who genuinely went after one, where it
happened and what they were flying. I'm guessing part of it was trial and
error while slope soaring...followed by "ah-ha!"

Years ago I was involved in exhibiting some sailplanes at a mall
recreation show. A friendly chap with a German accent came up and
informed me that he had discovered thermals when he was flying in the
Jugendsegelfliegerkorps. "I found zat you hang onto ze clouds"...I was
pretty impressed, and had a long chat with him.

....and over the course of the show, two more people came up and told
me variations on the same story.

I suspect from this that no inidividual can accurately be credited
with discovering thermals; once people were flying gilders, the
thermals revealed themselves as a matter of course.

rj
Old June 27th 04, 08:20 PM
Mike Brooks

Robert de León wrote in message ...
I'm prepping for a presentation and was wondering: who was the first to
actually thermal.

I assume that early glider pilots noted soaring birds and thought "there
must be rising air where they're turning and climbing." I've read a few
references as to WHEN it was achieved by glider pilots (but not a firm
date). I haven't found details as to who genuinely went after one, where it
happened and what they were flying. I'm guessing part of it was trial and
error while slope soaring...followed by "ah-ha!"

According to "The Story of Gliding" by Ann Welch (chapter 10 - First
Thermals):

"However, the first real thermal soaring, without either hills or
thunderstorms, took place in the United States. An American, A.
Haller, and a German far from home, Wolf Hirth, were the first to
realise their opportunity."

Hirth traveled to Elmira, New York to participate in the first
soaring meeting there, bringing with him a Musterle glider. On the
last day of competition, he and Haller made a thermal flight from
Elmira to Waverly, NY.

She mentions Kronfeld, Georgii and others at the Wasserkuppe as well,
but the first practical use of thermals (which I'm taking as Bob's
question) is as above. In any case, the book is a good read and I
highly recommend it.

Mike Brooks
GE2
Old June 27th 04, 09:39 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 27 Jun 2004 12:20:48 -0700, (Mike Brooks) wrote:

[...]

That was the 5th of October, 1930 - almost just over years *after*
Robert Kronfeld's soaring flight from the Wasserkuppe. Also, according
to Simons, once Kronfeld had made the first thermal flight at the
August, 1928 meeting the secret was out and several other pilots made
thermal flights at the same meeting despite not having varios, such as
a 775 m height gain and a 35 km xc goal flight. They'd twigged that
the cumulus was the key.

Wolf Hirth was, however, the second pilot after Kronfeld to use a
vario and had it installed in the Musterle when he took it to Elmira.

She mentions Kronfeld, Georgii and others at the Wasserkuppe as well,
but the first practical use of thermals (which I'm taking as Bob's
question) is as above.

I don't think the issue is all that clear cut. For starters, Kronfeld
clearly used a thermal to get up and away from the Wasserkuppe and
used more thermals to get back the he knew what he was doing. OTOH
he parked in slope lift on the Himmeldunkberg while waiting for the
thermal he needed to start his upwind leg back to the Wasserkuppe.
For seconds Elmira is on a hill (Harris Hill): not really what I'd
call flat land.

Personally I think a thermal flight is a thermal flight regardless of
whether the launch is by aero tow, winch or being bungied off a hill.

In any case, the book is a good read and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've added it to my list...

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old June 29th 04, 12:28 AM
Robert de León

According to "The Story of Gliding" by Ann Welch (chapter 10 - First
Thermals):

"However, the first real thermal soaring, without either hills or
thunderstorms, took place in the United States. An American, A.
Haller, and a German far from home, Wolf Hirth, were the first to
realise their opportunity."

That was the 5th of October, 1930 - almost just over years *after*
Robert Kronfeld's soaring flight from the Wasserkuppe. Also, according
to Simons, once Kronfeld had made the first thermal flight at the
August, 1928 meeting the secret was out and several other pilots made
thermal flights at the same meeting despite not having varios, such as
a 775 m height gain and a 35 km xc goal flight. They'd twigged that
the cumulus was the key.

-------------------------

Good information. From this it appears that between 1928 and 1930, Kronfeld
and Hirth were the first to "discover" thermals as a useful means of
sustained flight, and experimented with the basic circling techniques we use
today.

In Martin Gregorie's post I noted the adaptation of a variometer originally
used in Zeppelins. Was this the first vario for gliders?

I'm assuming the original development of varios for ridged airships was to
give the crew rising and falling airmass readouts so that they could
correctly trim and shift ballast to keep the ship relatively stable.

I remember reading a story about either the U.S.S Shennandoah or the Macon
traversing the southwest U.S. one day. They had a bad time of it as dessert
thermals caused the airship to practically stand on its tale, causing mayhem
inside the gondola.

Thanks for the good answers to my posting.

Bob

Using thermals to climb? Kees Mies Piloting 41 April 27th 04 02:29 PM
Martian thermals C.Fleming Soaring 1 February 13th 04 07:50 PM
White Lightening Kit Airplane Discovered. Still in Box Andrew broughton-Tompkins Owning 2 December 26th 03 03:25 PM
perfect thermals Mike Stramba Soaring 0 October 7th 03 07:09 AM
perfect thermals Mike Stramba Soaring 0 October 7th 03 07:09 AM