British Hold German Motor

Old December 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
The Enlightenment

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...
snipped Bernd's comments on late war rocket assisted a/c projects

Small nit -

The BMW003R was also to be fitted to the Me162 salamander/volksjaeger

He 162. Not sure I have ever seen a design proposal for an 8-162 with
integrated internal rocket - do you have a scan I could see? I am quite
intrigued with the unique nature of human ingenuity in times of crisis, and
German end-of-war aviation is a great example of it.

v/r
Gordon

Most of what I've said comes from the book:
"German jet engine and gas turbine development 1930 to 1945" by
Anthony L Kay.

I'll post an OCR and email a scan in a few days when I am back home.

Towards the end of the war quite a few Jet Engine programs were
cancelled in December 1944 or so presumably to concentrate on
essential programs considering the dire situation of the Reich.
There do exist minutes of meetings which then called for the
implementation of certain things such as the BMW003R rocket-jet engine
on the He162 and this came of those minutes despite no formal order
being issued. The He 162 program moved pretty fast.

BMW also started work on a new engine that was essentialy a scaled up
BMW003 on the basis of such minutes, so they must have been taken
seriously, with an increased thrust of 1700kg to be interchangeable
with the He S11 which was achieving 1100kg on the test stand and in
the form of the 009-011A production variants (for prototype aircraft)

The BMW003 had much respect as its combustion chamber life was 200
hours and the turbine hot section could be removed and replaced in
less than 2 hours: the turbine lasting 20 to 60 hours depending on
production series. The GT101 gas turbine which powered an
experimental gas turbine panther tank also used a 1/2 mass flow scaled
BMW003 combustion chamber with a diaginal/axial hybrid compressor in
order to try and match the T34s power to weight ratio while using
crude fuels.