'58 Complementary Triumph TR3 Motorcar

Old February 6th 04, 10:14 PM
Blueskies

Where do you keep (at least?) 14 cars?

--
Dan D.

..
"Token" wrote in message news:mZQUb.107230$U%5.552289@attbi_s03...

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
My lady has just informed me that she would consider a complementary

Triumph TR3
to our classic '58 Cessna 182 a good idea. She's willing to cash in her

old
Chevy on the Triumph...oil leaks and all...for a TR-3 of that era.

Anybody got a lead on one of those old rascals?

Jim

Woooo weeee.....lots of negativity here concerning British cars...lol Some
of it is tongue in check, some is not. Take the negative with a grain of
salt, and consider that most of the problems stated have indeed happened,
but far less frequently than one is lead to believe.

I currently own a few British cars, most of them Triumph. The short list of
road worthy (although not necessarily on the road at this time): 3 1962
Triumph TR-4's, one silver, one red, one blue, one each of the following,
1962, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 Triumph Spitfires, stretching
the roadworthy bit on the 1965 a little. Other than that is a couple Jags,
only one is road worthy at this time, 1958 Jag Mk IX Saloon.

The carbs on these things should not be anything like the flaky nature
people are presenting here. I normally adjust on any given vehicle roughly
twice a year, at the major seasonal changes. Plugs do seem to get eaten up
pretty rapidly, with replacement in the 6000 mile range not uncommon. My
Powder Blue 1962 TR-4 has given me something over 130,000 trouble free miles
(no telling how many miles it had on it when I got the car) in the past 7
years with only normal maintenance, leaving me stranded on the side of the
road one time, bad points. The points had been telling me for weeks (hard
starts, rough idle) that I needed to replace them, I kept thinking "next
weekend". I converted it to electronic ignition right after that, since it
was my daily driver, and never had another issue. The carbs do get rebuilt
every three years or so, takes maybe two hours tops.

If you do get a TR-3, do yourself a big favor and make sure to get one with
overdrive. Without OD the car is a bit too "buzy" at highway speeds, and it
really is not fun on longer (say more than 30 minutes) runs. The OD turns
it into a very different ride.

Someone else mentioned Hemmings, that is a good source, but be prepared to
spend a bit more, most people who list there expect the car to fall in the
book value ranges. I have had good luck with things like
www.traderonline.com and www.autotrader.com and local swap sheets /
classified adds. Most of my cars were located within about 75 miles of my
house.

Someone else put the link of www.vtr.org up, there is some good info on
there concerning buying these cars and what to look for. Specifically
http://www.vtr.org/TR3/index.html is a place to start, with
http://www.vtr.org/buyers-guide/index.html being something to read also.

T!

Triumph_TR4 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old February 6th 04, 11:03 PM
Token

"Blueskies" wrote in message
om...
Where do you keep (at least?) 14 cars?

--
Dan D.

Six are in garages, none of my new cars are...lol. The rest are outside,
mostly under car covers. My wife says I can not use over 1/4 of the
property for car storage, so I still have an acre or two left I can use. I
did not list my parts cars, figure at least one parts car for every one that
is road worthy. You must remember that most of these are not show cars, in
fact only one has ever been shown, but just good examples I have managed to
collect. Also, the fact that I am in the desert, and really have nothing
but wind and sun to worry about, makes it very easy to keep a car outside.
I have, however, looked at putting in a steel building for the top 10 or so
cars, dragging my heals on that just a bit.

This is an addiction, not an investment. Been feeding this addiction for
something like 25 years, going on 26. Got my first Triumph in late 1978, it
was a 1979 model Spitfire. Not the 79 I have now though.

Now my youngest daughter thinks of American Iron. She just (at 15) got her
first project, a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker. She is eyeballing a 1932 Ford
Model A that the same people she got the New Yorker from still have. I told
her not until the New Yorker is on the road, at which time she points to a
couple of my Triumphs and says, in a very teenage way, "It looks like you
have more than one project going at a time".

Old February 6th 04, 11:06 PM
Don Tuite

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:40:41 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:24:18 GMT, "Token"
wrote:

Woooo weeee.....lots of negativity here concerning British cars...lol

To be fair then, consider the Renault Dauphin.

Don

Careful! You're getting close to home, here. Several parts on the Emeraude
plans call for "Citroen", i.e. canopy door latches, cowling hinges, etc.

Citroen is a different pot de poissons. Except for the 2CV, a
Citroen's faults, if any, come from an excess of engineering elegance.

Don
Old February 6th 04, 11:37 PM
Rich S.

"Don Tuite" wrote in message

Citroen is a different pot de poissons. Except for the 2CV, a
Citroen's faults, if any, come from an excess of engineering elegance.

2CV - Yup, that's the one.

I used a CAP-10 canopy frame on the Emeraude. The handle appears to be
Citroen. Do you think I can get I new blank key to cut for the lock? NON!

Rich "Keyless in Seattle" S.

Old February 7th 04, 04:46 PM
David Lesher

wrote:

Woooo weeee.....lots of negativity here concerning British cars...lol

To be fair then, consider the Renault Dauphin.

ARHHHHHHHHHH!!!

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Paul Sengupta

Ah, that's why your Triumph Spitfires still survive. They just dissolve
over here.

Paul

"Token" wrote in message
news3VUb.239004$xy6.1248086@attbi_s02...
Also, the fact that I am in the desert

Old February 10th 04, 06:23 PM
Dylan Smith

In article . net, Henry B
ibb wrote:
These old sports cars can be a lot of fun, but do think about the safety
implications. They don't have any of the modern safety features we've come
to take for granted, and the results of an accident can be disastrous.

You're telling this to a GA pilot? GA is accepted to be 7 times more
dangerous than driving a car (about the same as riding a motorcycle on
the road). I don't think he's worried about the old TR-3 lacking
airbags, and I seriously doubt he'll be doing many miles in one per
year!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old February 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jim Weir wrote:
I had a '57 TR3 going to college, and other than a damned gas tank seep that I
never COULD find, and keeping the SU carbs balanced, it was one of the more
reliable vehicles that I owned.

Funnily enough, I was never plagued by Lucas Prince of Darkness. I had a
1969 Mini when I was a student (the car was older than me), and my
ability to make morning lectures had much more to do with my reliability
after imbibing vast quantities of beer than Joe Lucas's electrics. The
only serious electrical fault I suffered was the voltage regulator for
the dynamo (generator) died. It was a relay-based unit and just needed a
good clean and the contacts re-gapping. By contrast, the generator on my
old Cessna 140 died once a year without fail.

I've had far more trouble with Ford electrics (on the Ford Sierra I
owned, the headlights went out suddenly whilst driving at 80mph down an
unlit road due to faulty wiring, I had numerous faults in my F-150
truck, including the fuel injection return system).

My current car has Lucas electrics. It's an Audi A4!

Old February 10th 04, 08:27 PM
Rich S.

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message

My current car has Lucas electrics. It's an Audi A4!

As does the FA-18. Go Blue Angels!

Rich S.

Old February 11th 04, 01:44 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Rich S." wrote:

As does the FA-18. Go Blue Angels!

The F-18 has Lucas electrics???? I disbelieve you. Reference, plese?

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.