Storm scope suggestions

Old May 27th 04, 12:40 AM
B2431

Default Storm scope suggestions

I have seen lots of stormscopes on e-bay lately. Any recommendations for or
against any particular model ore manufacturer?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 27th 04, 02:56 AM
Richard Lamb

B2431 wrote:

I have seen lots of stormscopes on e-bay lately. Any recommendations for or
against any particular model ore manufacturer?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I've installed a few, but always wondered why.

I mean, it's a great idea - see where the bad places are and stay away
from them. But does it really help?

I'd _rather_ have a panel mounted screen linked to DUATS.

Richard
Old May 27th 04, 03:33 AM
Kevin Horton

On Thu, 27 May 2004 02:56:41 +0000, Richard Lamb wrote:

B2431 wrote:

I have seen lots of stormscopes on e-bay lately. Any recommendations for
or against any particular model ore manufacturer?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I've installed a few, but always wondered why.

I mean, it's a great idea - see where the bad places are and stay away
from them. But does it really help?

I'd _rather_ have a panel mounted screen linked to DUATS.

Richard

I've flown IfR quite a bit with StormScopes in several different
aircraft. It worked very well in the TB-21 Trinidad that I flew for
awhile several years ago. But the C550s that I fly now also have
StormScope, and it doesn't work very well at all. I believe that both
systems were WX-1000s, but I could be wrong. Certainly the TB-21 was a
lower budget installation than the C550's.

I concluded that the quality of the installation makes a big difference.
I suspect that some aircraft are quite quiet electrically, and that may
give the StormScope a better environment to work in.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old May 27th 04, 10:04 PM
Blueskies

Apparently they are still working out the details for stormscope installs in the Cirrus, something about composite and
static discharge issues...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old May 28th 04, 02:01 PM
Mike Murdock

"Blueskies" wrote in message
Apparently they are still working out the details for stormscope installs

in the Cirrus, something about composite and
static discharge issues...

--
Dan D.

Not correct. The L3 (formerly BF Goodrich) WX-500 stormscope works just
fine in Cirrus airplanes, and it always has. In all models, it displays on
the standard-equipment MFD. On Sandel EHSI-equipped planes, it will also
display on the HSI. Later model planes will also display it on both Garmin
430s.

You're thinking of the Avidyne weather downlink. That's the feature that
Cirrus and Avidyne have been unable to get working satisfactorily, rumored
to be because of static buildup on the airframe. Many Cirrus owners report
excellent results with portable versions of the XM-radio based WxWorx, and
there is speculation that Cirrus will switch to this system.

-Mike

Old May 28th 04, 06:34 PM
Mark T. Mueller

The Avidyne datalink uses the same system as EchoFlight, and is a
"Request/Reply" based system using the OrbComm LEO constellation, with only
a 1200 bps data throughput on a good day. The VHF antenna MUST be placed
properly, and can still be shielded by the vertical stabilizer depending
upon the position of the available sats.

Garmin uses the same system for the GDL-49 to provide weather datalink for
the GNS-530. After extensive research for my own purchase, I concluded this
technology is a dead end. Too unreliable for use in aviation, and
insufficient data throughput to provide the services I expect. I know from
discussions with a Garmin engineer, Garmin invested heavily in trying to
optimize this architecture, but they still have significant problems, mostly
due to improper installations of the antenna. That is why the G1000 will use
WxWorx, NOT the EchoFlight system. BUT, because Garmin invested so much in
providing EchoFlight for the GNS530 crowd, they are trying to clear their
stock GDL-49s and reach end of life for that product before they start
working to provide WxWorx to their legacy avionics (and may never, so my
reason for buying the 530 over the 430 in the first place is dead... Thanks
Garmin!)

I am glad I NEVER bought into that system, but it still taught me a valuable
lesson, NEVER believe avionics marketing hype!

I also looked closely at spherics devices (stormscopes), but the
installation is very sensitive to proper placement and the skill of the
technician. Not to mention maintenance issues later in the life cycle, and
if you add/remove/replace avionics over the years there is the distinct
possibility the sensor would be effected...

Instead I went with a portable WxWorx solution using a PDA and the NavAir
software. Wouldn't launch without it. On my last flight from Florida to
Virginia, my average NEXRAD data was only 10 minutes old. Lightning strike
data is overlayed on the NEXRAD image, providing some additional info on the
storm structure. It will also loop to provide some rudimentary directional
data. And having METAR/TAF available is great as well.

I am glad I did not spend all my money on a "stormscope", or a
"Request/Reply" datalink system. YMMV, but I think WxWorx has the best
bang-for-the-buck (portable systems under $1500), and so far better
reliability than the "certified" systems... I think WSI has a good product
coming on the market, but the certified systems plus installation at over
$6K plus subscriptions really is very discouraging.

Mark

Old May 29th 04, 01:33 AM
B2431

Ok, so mounting the antenna is critical. Where and how should it be mounted?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Need suggestions for clean butt splice for electrical wires. Bart D. Hull Home Built 9 January 30th 04 04:28 AM
Very OT - Jack-booted storm troopers Rich S. Home Built 20 January 9th 04 01:42 PM
Plan Suggestions Bill A. Home Built 2 January 9th 04 07:27 AM
Builder's Insurance Suggestions Evan Carew Home Built 12 October 9th 03 06:53 AM
help: kits choice suggestions Shin Gou Home Built 13 September 4th 03 08:30 PM