Sleep Aid and Medical Question

Old April 6th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Sleep Aid and Medical Question

Something to point out is that if you purchase an OTC for specifically being
a sleep aid, it will be far more expensive than say "Exedrin PM" or "Tylenol
PM". Read the labels and you will see that the sleep aids has the exact
same medicine and dose as these other two. Save your money and buy the
Exedrin PM.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"David Kazdan" wrote in message
et...
The next poster, Viperdoc, is more knowledgable here than I am--but all (I
believe) over-the-counter sleep aids are antihistamines. The "first
generation" antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) are quite
sedating, and those drugs make a feature out of that bug.

David

Peter R. wrote:
David Kazdan wrote:

I have seen NTSB and military accident reports list antidepressant and
antihistamine levels.

Do sleep aids contain antidepressant or antihistamines? I don't take
them
so I legitimately don't know.

Old April 6th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:50:11 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote:

Do sleep aids contain antidepressant or antihistamines? I don't take them
so I legitimately don't know.

I think antihistamine is what OTC sleeping pills are all about.

I suspect the prescription version is safer, as with OTC Aftrin or
Primatine Mist -- dangerous stuff compared to the kind you get from
the phamacist.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 6th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

dOn Thu, 06 Apr 2006 04:42:32 GMT, "John Huthmaker"
wrote:

Save your money and buy the
Exedrin PM.

When my wife is awakish (is that a word? it should be!), she takes one
aspirin and believes it will put her to sleep, so of course it does.

Old April 6th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As I understand it, that the manufacturer of Benedryl actually
attempted to get it FDA certified with a secondary use as a sleeping
pill back in the day when it first came out. Doctors figured out it
worked well as a sleeping pill as well and were off-label prescribing
it.

Old April 7th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

When my wife is awakish (is that a word? it should be!), she takes one
aspirin and believes it will put her to sleep, so of course it does.

Aspirin does cause some CNS depression, so that's not entirely surprising.
---
Ken Reed
M20M, N9124X