Toronto airspace transition

Old May 18th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Toronto airspace transition

I will be flying through the Toronto airspace from the southwest,
landing at Buttonville (CYKZ). It would most likely be IFR. I realize I
have to detour around Pearson (CYYZ) to the north or south. I don't
know if there are standard fixes that ATC assigns for aircraft
transitioning the airspace. My preference was to plan a southerly route
along the lake shore because it is more scenic. But the class B shelf
looks pretty low over the lake, and I don't want to end up being
vectored too far over water. I would like to hear from anyone who has
flow this route. Thanks!

Old May 18th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

I will be flying through the Toronto airspace from the southwest,
landing at Buttonville (CYKZ). It would most likely be IFR. I realize I
have to detour around Pearson (CYYZ) to the north or south. I don't
know if there are standard fixes that ATC assigns for aircraft
transitioning the airspace. My preference was to plan a southerly route
along the lake shore because it is more scenic. But the class B shelf
looks pretty low over the lake, and I don't want to end up being
vectored too far over water. I would like to hear from anyone who has
flow this route. Thanks!

Andrew, in the past, when I have flown VFR from Columbus OH (Don
Scott/KOSU) to Toronto Island, the only over water I have flown was from
Hamilton to the Island.
Even then, that was just offshore.
Old May 18th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" writes:

I will be flying through the Toronto airspace from the southwest,
landing at Buttonville (CYKZ). It would most likely be IFR. I
realize I have to detour around Pearson (CYYZ) to the north or
south. [...]

Unless you specifically file a roundabout way such as YKF YMS KZ,
Toronto Terminal will just vector you when you get within 25 nm. If
you want to follow the lakeshore east, they'll be happy to let you.

- FChE
Old May 18th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Andrew Sarangan posted:

I will be flying through the Toronto airspace from the southwest,
landing at Buttonville (CYKZ). It would most likely be IFR. I realize
I have to detour around Pearson (CYYZ) to the north or south. I don't
know if there are standard fixes that ATC assigns for aircraft
transitioning the airspace. My preference was to plan a southerly
route along the lake shore because it is more scenic. But the class B
shelf looks pretty low over the lake, and I don't want to end up being
vectored too far over water. I would like to hear from anyone who has
flow this route. Thanks!

I've flown into Buttonville VFR by following the lakeshore route.
Depending on the direction of your approach into Toronto, this may be
shorter than going around Pearson to the west. Once you've contacted
Toronto ATC, they will vector you as needed. As was mentioned, you would
probably wind up talking to City Center as you approach their airspace,
but that's not a problem. On one of my trips, I was further over water
than glide distance, should the engine suffer a major failure, but I
didn't see that as an unreasonable risk because there wasn't any better
place on the shore to put down anyway.

Regards,

Neil

Old May 19th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in
I will be flying through the Toronto airspace from the southwest,
landing at Buttonville (CYKZ). It would most likely be IFR. I realize I
have to detour around Pearson (CYYZ) to the north or south. I don't
know if there are standard fixes that ATC assigns for aircraft
transitioning the airspace. My preference was to plan a southerly route
along the lake shore because it is more scenic. But the class B shelf
looks pretty low over the lake, and I don't want to end up being
vectored too far over water. I would like to hear from anyone who has
flow this route. Thanks!

If you're IFR, plan a route north of the city or expect to spend some time
over the water. If you can cancel IFR to the west or southwest, then you'll
be handed off to Toronto Terminal (mostly VFR) and then CYTZ (Toronto City
Centre Tower). There's nothing much happening in City Centre airspace so
you can do pretty much whatever you like. If the East-West runways are in
use at Pearson (CYYZ) then expect to be given 2500' along the shore. The
Class C floor there is 1600' but Terminal usually allows 2500'. If the wind
is strong from the North, forget about getting above 1600'. But, even
then, the view is nice.

moo